Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto lane change not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery last Wednesday and have used Autopilot several times successfully but have not been able to get auto lane change to work. I have it enabled in settings and I see the gray lines indicating the adjacent lanes on the display. When I signal the blue line in the direction I'm signaling momentarily changes to a dashed line then it goes solid again and the gray lines momentarily disappear. I've tried it about 20 times now, all on a major interstate with well marked lines and no cars in the adjacent lanes.

I have tried every type of signal possible. I have done the single tap, the long hold against the first detent, and pushing it all the way past the detent so that it stays on. In the "stay on" position I've given it several seconds to comply - which is awkward on a freeway with traffic - but from the YouTube vids I've seen the change should happen pretty quickly. Some people even say too quickly. But the switch from solid blue lane indicator to dashed indicator and back occurs immediately upon activating the signal regardless of how I do it.

I took delivery last Wednesday and have used Autopilot several times successfully but have not been able to get auto lane change to work. I have it enabled in settings and I see the gray lines indicating the adjacent lanes on the display. When I signal the blue line in the direction I'm signaling momentarily changes to a dashed line then it goes solid again and the gray lines momentarily disappear. I've tried it about 20 times now, all on a major interstate with well marked lines and no cars in the adjacent lanes.

Turn it on. It is not active when autopilot is on. It is a separate toggle.

It may still be calibrating. Mine didn't work right away either but I may have been doing it wrong. Now it works fine.

I just hold the turn signal to the first position but don't actually let it click. As if you were just doing the quick turn signal to get it to flash 3 times.

Yeah, my Model 3 wouldn't do a lane change or autopark for the first several days I had it, even though all the other EAP features were working fine (Autosteer/TACC lit up on the way home from delivery). Just keep trying... I got back from a ~400mi road trip today where I used the heck out of all the EAP features in heavy rain- it all worked a treat. I was so much more relaxed when I got home than I would've been had I been doing all the driving myself.

Do you recall about what mileage that was? I've got about 300 miles on mine so far and it still wasn't working this morning.

I think it was right around then that it started working (good mix of local and freeway driving). Other than a couple of odd "aborts" on my recent road trip (that didn't seem to fit the reasons the manual states), I used it dozens of times with no issues. I only use the "hold at first detent" activation method, and it goes within a couple of blinks.

• Informative
Reactions: goto10
I was near the Tesla showroom today and stopped by to ask them what they thought. The person I talked to there said that auto lane change did not have a separate calibration but it's an issue they have been hearing about on some Model 3s and recommended I call the service center. It's still interesting that yours eventually started working. I wonder if maybe one of your sensors was slightly out of spec and corrected itself. Also, the Tesla employee could have been mistaken - wouldn't be the first time.

I'll check in with the service center and see what they say.

This happened to me after I got the 10.5 update. It was tied to my ultrasonic sensors (the parking sensors). They weren't working at all. When I pulled into my garage, I didn't get any of the normal beeps and lines when I got close to a wall. Without the ultrasonics, everytime I tried to do a lane change, it would immediately abort.

I called service and they transferred me to technical who ran my logs and said I it showed some error codes. I scheduled an appointment. However, a couple of days later, they started working again. When I went to the service appt, they ran diagnostics and everything looked fine. No issues since.

Check to see if your ultrasonics are working.

Check to see if your ultrasonics are working.
They do appear to be sensing obstacles in my garage, at least at the front of the car. I don't know if I've ever been in a situation to test the rear though. Maybe I'll have one of my kids walk around the car when I get home and see what comes up. I've never seen anything come up while I'm driving though and I'd thought there would be some feedback from other vehicles/barricades/etc.

Good tip. Thanks.

I guess you know that lane change currently does not work on all roads? Have you been out on a major road like an interstate?
Yep, per my original post: "I've tried it about 20 times now, all on a major interstate with well marked lines and no cars in the adjacent lanes." My brother-in-law's Model S can change lanes fine on the same road.

not the same thing, but will add my data point and experience:
was lane changing on AP, then halfway over, it abruptly swerved back, as if it didn't want to hit a car, but there was no car.

shocked me, so i did it again, and again.. 3 times in a row.

then the 4th time it wouldn't lane change at all. And then the next day.

So, I got to thinking... I pick up a ton of bugs on I-5... i wonder if a bug, or an accumulation of bugs smashed and obstructed a sensor.

looking at the sensors, didn't look obviously obstructed, but maybe some guts in the creases.
cleaned the bumper, especially the sensors thoroughly... problem solved.

not the same thing, but will add my data point and experience:
was lane changing on AP, then halfway over, it abruptly swerved back, as if it didn't want to hit a car, but there was no car.

shocked me, so i did it again, and again.. 3 times in a row.

then the 4th time it wouldn't lane change at all. And then the next day.

So, I got to thinking... I pick up a ton of bugs on I-5... i wonder if a bug, or an accumulation of bugs smashed and obstructed a sensor.

looking at the sensors, didn't look obviously obstructed, but maybe some guts in the creases.
cleaned the bumper, especially the sensors thoroughly... problem solved.

If you release the turn signal too soon it'll move back to the original lane.

If the cameras can't find the lane markers in the lane you're changing to it'll move back to the original lane too.

If you release the turn signal too soon it'll move back to the original lane.

If the cameras can't find the lane markers in the lane you're changing to it'll move back to the original lane too.
give me a little credit....
i know how it works... 4 times i was able to reproduce it, until it just stopped changing lanes altogether....

and it did it suddenly, like how I would if I saw a car last second and swerved back. what you are talking about is a more gentle come back to original lane.