Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto lane change not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you release the turn signal too soon it'll move back to the original lane.

If the cameras can't find the lane markers in the lane you're changing to it'll move back to the original lane too.
plus, with the 3, the blinker will automatically stopped once it has completed the lane change, so i would never release too soon.... aha...

here is your issue: when you lane change, you need to do a full click of the stalk, otherwise it won't lane change (i don't think). then you wait for the lane change, and the blinker automatically stops. so there is no releasing the turn signal too soon. it's one click and done.

plus, with the 3, the blinker will automatically stopped once it has completed the lane change, so i would never release too soon.... aha...

here is your issue: when you lane change, you need to do a full click of the stalk, otherwise it won't lane change (i don't think). then you wait for the lane change, and the blinker automatically stops. so there is no releasing the turn signal too soon. it's one click and done.

I never full click. I hold it in the half position (position to just make it flash 3 times, no clicks). It works all the time for me as long as the road is straight. Never seems to work if the road is curving.

Mine always flashes an extra 3 times after I complete the lane change too.

I never full click. I hold it in the half position (position to just make it flash 3 times, no clicks). It works all the time for me as long as the road is straight. Never seems to work if the road is curving.

Mine always flashes an extra 3 times after I complete the lane change too.
That seems like more work than just doing the full click. Rather than holding the stalk for a few seconds it's a quick click and you're done.

Hey guys, I actually figured out how to do auto lane change a couple days ago, and wanted to share my full experience.

1. As many have mentioned, make sure the Auto Lane Change option is enabled.
  2. While you are in Enhanced Autopilot, you will see a set of blue line indicating you are in the lane.
  3. Notice that outside of those blue lines, there need to be grey lines as well. If there is a grey line parallel to the blue lines, you are able to lane change (right grey line means you can lane change to the right, left grey line means you can lane change to the left).
  4. If these grey lines do not appear, it means that EAP does not detect a lane next to you, and Auto Lane Change will not be available to you.
  5. To engage Auto Lane Change, push on the directional blinker stock all the way. The blinker will disengage when the lane change is successfully completed.

1. To engage Auto Lane Change, push on the directional blinker stock all the way. The blinker will disengage when the lane change is successfully completed.

You don't have to push the stock all the way. You can also hold it down in the 3 blink position before the click but if you do this you must hold it until the lane change is almost complete or the car will move back to its original lane.

I've never noticed the extra gray lines before. I'm going to check it out on my way home tonight. Thanks for the tip.

I'll add my experiences. Took delivery on April 25th. The Auto Lane Change did not work. I was in Auto Steer, there were no cars anywhere close to me. Simply did not respond in any way to my request for a change to the left lane. Stopped at Tesla service center last week and the OA rebooted the screen, did the Auto Lane Change off-on-off-on several times. She took us out on the 101 and Auto Lane Change worked magnificently. Dropped her off and headed back north on the 101 from SB and .. POW ... no Auto Lane Change. Does this mean you need to have a Tesla OA in the car for ALC to work? Sounds like it's time to take it into Tesla.

The turn signal indicator lever is called a "stalk" not a "stock". Sorry, I just had to clear that up, it's one of my peeves :)

Anyway, most of the time auto lane change does work for me. I have had it cancel itself in the middle of a lane change a few times however. Most of these seem to be when it detects another car coming up from behind quickly in the lane I'm changing to. However there have been times that I cannot figure out why it cancelled the lane change half way through. I'm sure there is room for improvement with this feature.

The turn signal indicator lever is called a "stalk" not a "stock". Sorry, I just had to clear that up, it's one of my peeves :)

Anyway, most of the time auto lane change does work for me. I have had it cancel itself in the middle of a lane change a few times however. Most of these seem to be when it detects another car coming up from behind quickly in the lane I'm changing to. However there have been times that I cannot figure out why it cancelled the lane change half way through. I'm sure there is room for improvement with this feature.
It sees a small rock in the road :). I feel like things like that will get better over time.

Yeah, my Model 3 wouldn't do a lane change or autopark for the first several days I had it, even though all the other EAP features were working fine (Autosteer/TACC lit up on the way home from delivery). Just keep trying... I got back from a ~400mi road trip today where I used the heck out of all the EAP features in heavy rain- it all worked a treat. I was so much more relaxed when I got home than I would've been had I been doing all the driving myself.

I don't see Autopark buttom anywhere, can you help me out?