Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto lane change not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Autopark indicator is a blue circle with a P in it that only appears on the screen when you are driving very slowly and an open parking space is observed. To activate Autopark you stop when you see the indicator and then tap it.

Hey guys, I actually figured out how to do auto lane change a couple days ago, and wanted to share my full experience.

1. As many have mentioned, make sure the Auto Lane Change option is enabled.
  2. While you are in Enhanced Autopilot, you will see a set of blue line indicating you are in the lane.
  3. Notice that outside of those blue lines, there need to be grey lines as well. If there is a grey line parallel to the blue lines, you are able to lane change (right grey line means you can lane change to the right, left grey line means you can lane change to the left).
  4. If these grey lines do not appear, it means that EAP does not detect a lane next to you, and Auto Lane Change will not be available to you.
  5. To engage Auto Lane Change, push on the directional blinker stock all the way. The blinker will disengage when the lane change is successfully completed.

That is the best explanation I have had!

I too thought that my lane change was not working, until I read this.

The trick is #3, the grey lines need to be there.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Vin

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
I took delivery last Wednesday and have used Autopilot several times successfully but have not been able to get auto lane change to work. I have it enabled in settings and I see the gray lines indicating the adjacent lanes on the display. When I signal the blue line in the direction I'm signaling momentarily changes to a dashed line then it goes solid again and the gray lines momentarily disappear. I've tried it about 20 times now, all on a major interstate with well marked lines and no cars in the adjacent lanes.

I have a more basic question relating to EAP. When setting all of the EAP components - Auto lane change - auto follow - follow distance, etc, do they remain active or must they be activated each time you start the car up?

The biggest issue for me is that it appears as though the road you are on needs to be flagged as a highway. One divided highway I frequently drive on has auto lane change disabled for most of the drive. It does this when the navigation flags the current road as “61st St N” and not “KS-254”, which is really what it is. Along this stretch, the two names refer to the same pavement.

As I’m driving along on the highway, the navigation screen tells me to turn onto the SAME road that I’m currently on. As soon as I pass that point, the neighboring lane disappears from the dash and lane change no longer works. Heading the other direction on the same divided highway, lane change doesn’t work until you pass that same intersection.

There is no change in the highway itself at this intersection. The only change is the primary name for the highway/road as saved in the navigation database.

Just drove over 40 miles on Interstate 5 and California Highway 14. Nothing but blue lane lines.

Attachments

• F9B0071B-479D-4E66-B3B2-20ED90ADB5DA.jpeg
    F9B0071B-479D-4E66-B3B2-20ED90ADB5DA.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 159
Just got my car today. When I was setting up everything, I set up auto stuff including auto lane change. It put up the page about being in beta and asked if I still wanted to enable it, and I said yes. But it doesn't seem to work at all. Then I found that as soon as I put the car in gear, the auto lane change symbol grayed out. Has anybody seen that? Is this something that has to age through a couple of days usage to start working? Auto Pilot seemed to work well after a couple of hours of driving. I was amaze by how well it handles stop and go traffic. I find myself avoiding going into an unoccupied lane when coming to a light. That means I have to hit the brake. If I'm behind a car my car comes to a stop and then resumes as soon as the lead car starts

Just got my car today. When I was setting up everything, I set up auto stuff including auto lane change. It put up the page about being in beta and asked if I still wanted to enable it, and I said yes. But it doesn't seem to work at all. Then I found that as soon as I put the car in gear, the auto lane change symbol grayed out. Has anybody seen that? Is this something that has to age through a couple of days usage to start working? Auto Pilot seemed to work well after a couple of hours of driving. I was amaze by how well it handles stop and go traffic. I find myself avoiding going into an unoccupied lane when coming to a light. That means I have to hit the brake. If I'm behind a car my car comes to a stop and then resumes as soon as the lead car starts

So - Good news - Bad news

Today after speaking to one of the techies at the local service center who told me that auto steer has to get at least 100 miles on it before it becomes internally trained. Sure enough, about 10 minutes after speaking to the tech, auto steer started working.

Now the bad news: I don't think it's anywhere near ready for general use. I had an incident that could have cause a major collision. I had been driving along on a local 4 - 6 lane highway (not limited access). auto-follow and auto lane change seemed to be working quite well. I crossed a large intersection and the road lines on my right disappeared for about 50 feet. The steering wheel tried to jerk to the right. I prevented it and continued driving. Auto steer shut down. This fault shouldn't have occurred. I've sent the info to Tesla. Let's see what their reply is

My experience is that auto lane change does work nicely while on AP but only on highways or “freeways” as we call them in Texas. I have tired auto lane change on a 4 lane road with 2 lanes each way and auto lane change did not work even though I told it to change lanes and there were no cars near me.

My experience is that auto lane change does work nicely while on AP but only on highways or “freeways” as we call them in Texas. I have tired auto lane change on a 4 lane road with 2 lanes each way and auto lane change did not work even though I told it to change lanes and there were no cars near me.

From page 70 of the owner’s manual:
“Warning: Auto Lane Change is designed to be used only when driving on restricted-access highways (i.e. with on- ramps and off-ramps). “ And: “Auto Lane Change is designed for use on restricted-access highways with visible lane markings and under relatively predictable circumstances in which minimal steering and driver intervention is needed.”

RTFM

• Informative
Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
It’s true, these eap features are currently really meant for freeways however unlike most Nany companies that make you be in park to pair a Bluetooth phone, Tesla gives you free reign to use as we wish, but be cautious. Please be responsible and if you use it other than direct pay attention. Most of us like the freedom. Don’t be like the idiot that fell asleep in an eap Tesla before it had the nags. (YouTube sleep Tesla)

Yeah I’ve put 500 miles on my Model 3 and autopark hasn’t worked for me. It only has recognized unparkable parking spots. I have yet to use autopilot and auto lane change. I have a mobile tech coming in the few weeks. On my way to the airport I’ll try auto lane change out but if I see that it should be working and it doesn’t change lanes then I know something is up.

• Love
Reactions: sweetneet
The biggest issue for me is that it appears as though the road you are on needs to be flagged as a highway. One divided highway I frequently drive on has auto lane change disabled for most of the drive. It does this when the navigation flags the current road as “61st St N” and not “KS-254”, which is really what it is. Along this stretch, the two names refer to the same pavement.

As I’m driving along on the highway, the navigation screen tells me to turn onto the SAME road that I’m currently on. As soon as I pass that point, the neighboring lane disappears from the dash and lane change no longer works. Heading the other direction on the same divided highway, lane change doesn’t work until you pass that same intersection.

There is no change in the highway itself at this intersection. The only change is the primary name for the highway/road as saved in the navigation database.

There actually was a slight difference in the highway at this intersection. Note the word intersection. West of the intersection, there were on-ramps and off-ramps. There and east was cross traffic with stop signs. Auto Lane Change was only active on limited access highways (on-ramps and off-ramps).

The new 2018.39.7 software I received today removed that restriction. I can now leave autosteer enabled and use the turn signal to change lanes anywhere on this highway, including where there are cross-traffic intersections. In addition, it works in town on surface streets, not just highways. VERY SLICK!