Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Lane Change on Japan highways

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried AutoPilot on Tomei and Kan-etsu. Autopilot works great. In fact well beyond my expectations.

But the thin gray line for adjacent lines did not appear. Hence auto line change did not work.

Autopilot setting for the auto line changes is enabled. Version 2018.32.4

OK, I still don't understand what you mean by thin gray line. In Autopilot (auto steering), the lane lines should be blue. If gray, that means it is not autosteer. Can you make sure autosteer is also enabled? If the autosteer is enabled and still lane lines are gray that should be a bug and I'd recommend calling the service center.
This is my video with Autopilot on in Shin Tomei Expressway. You can see I'm initiating auto lane change as well. Note that lane lines are always blue on both sides.

• Informative
Reactions: JayInJapan
OK, I still don't understand what you mean by thin gray line. In Autopilot (auto steering), the lane lines should be blue. If gray, that means it is not autosteer. Can you make sure autosteer is also enabled? If the autosteer is enabled and still lane lines are gray that should be a bug and I'd recommend calling the service center.
This is my video with Autopilot on in Shin Tomei Expressway. You can see I'm initiating auto lane change as well. Note that lane lines are always blue on both sides.
I believe he is talking about the gray lines representing the edges of the adjacent lanes. If those gray lines are not displayed, then maybe it doesn't understand that there is a valid lane there available for auto lane change.

Tesla-Version-8-Autopilot-Improved-Radar.jpg

Image stolen from this Teslarati page: Tesla to roll out 'Enhanced Autopilot' that uses new self-driving 'Hardware 2'

OK, I still don't understand what you mean by thin gray line..

@miimura san is correct, the thin gray line on the instrument panel..

Unless the car recognizes the adjacent lines auto line change wouldn't work. The reason I asked this question here is to find out whether this is a problem with my car or this feature isn't enabled in Japan. Maybe my car AP needs extra time for more calibration? I will give it another try on a way from Tokyo to Gotemba this afternoon. If it doesn't work I will ask Tesla staff for help.

Thanks!

Yesterday on tomei express way:

View attachment 341517
Yeah yours is not normal. Maybe your side cameras are not calibrated yet to make lane changes? I remember side cameras were not used in EAP yet but they might started to use one.
As you can see in my video, auto lane changes are working on Shin Tomei, Tomei and Shuto Expressway. I actually use it every day.

• Informative
Reactions: JayInJapan
I also think that MCU2 has Autopilot speed limit only to +10km of real speed limit. I think this also should be fixed in this release but I'm not sure.

Good you mention. I thought that’s the way it should be. And it’s pretty scary when AP suddenly picks up speed limit from local road while on highway. It happened to me once when max AP speed dropped from 110 to 40 km/h on busy highway.

Reactions: hiroshiy