Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Lane Change on Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been through several Teslas, but was surprised that our latest 2020 Model X did not include the Auto Lane Change feature in the standard package (whereas all our prior Teslas came standard including our Model S and 3).

I didn't think that the lane change feature would be considered as "Full Self Driving" since you need to manually push the lane change signal to work. When did they change this? I really used feature a lot during highway trips. :(

I've been through several Teslas, but was surprised that our latest 2020 Model X did not include the Auto Lane Change feature in the standard package (whereas all our prior Teslas came standard including our Model S and 3).

I didn't think that the lane change feature would be considered as "Full Self Driving" since you need to manually push the lane change signal to work. When did they change this? I really used feature a lot during highway trips. :(

I also found this missing from our 2020 Model 3. Our 2018 Model X has lane change since we have the EAP package, but not FSD. Looks like now to get the reasonable features you now need FSD.

But also, there is talk of making FSDs price more palatable by making it a monthly subscription, like the entertainment features. I would be OK paying $50/mo for all FSD and maybe even less for a lite version with auto lane change and NAP, rather than thousands up front.

I also found this missing from our 2020 Model 3. Our 2018 Model X has lane change since we have the EAP package, but not FSD. Looks like now to get the reasonable features you now need FSD.

But also, there is talk of making FSDs price more palatable by making it a monthly subscription, like the entertainment features. I would be OK paying $50/mo for all FSD and maybe even less for a lite version with auto lane change and NAP, rather than thousands up front.

It would be nice to make it a la carte so I can just purchase the lane change feature, and that's it.
Having to manually take over autopilot during long highway trips every time you want to switch lanes completely ruins the experience.

Tesla removed the Navigate on Autopilot from the free standard Autopilot when they significantly reduced the list price of the Models X and S. They eliminated the $4,000 cost of EAP (Extended Auto Pilot).
Now you get basic Autopilot which included traffic aware cruise control and lane keeping. To get FSD you need to now pay $7,000.

Many would still like to be offered a less expensive middle ground EAP for less than $7,000, but nothing yet from Tesla.

Reactions: X-pilot
This article says we will have a monthly option for FSD. Might be worth it to see if you like it enough to buy it outright or if on a lease.

This is more proof they are treating FSD as software, and like a lot of software is now going to a monthly charge. This has worked out very well for Microsoft with Office 365 and Adobe with Adobe Creative Cloud. They provide the companies with a good continuous revenue stream. I just continue to pay for both because the monthly cost is low.

Last edited: