Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto lane change on the 417 in Ottawa?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone currently successfully using auto lane change and/or Navigate on AP in Ottawa on the 417?

I recently got the second EAP trial but haven't been able to get lane change to work even once over a few weeks - I just get a message that it's unavailable. During my first trial I used it a bunch of times so I know exactly how to.

Auto steering and TACC both work just fine and the car is seeing other cars next to/behind me. NoA doesn't do anything when activated, presumably because the lane change doesn't work.

Today I did notice that there are no outer lines for the lanes next to mine (that a lane change would go into) - I can't remember if there should be? That made me start to wonder if something has changed and the 417 isn't working for lane change right now? Lines are all clearly visible (even with the weather) and I've intentionally cleaned off all the cameras a few times to see if that's the issue but no joy. Stumped! Is something wrong with the car?

Is anyone currently successfully using auto lane change and/or Navigate on AP in Ottawa on the 417?

I recently got the second EAP trial but haven't been able to get lane change to work even once over a few weeks - I just get a message that it's unavailable. During my first trial I used it a bunch of times so I know exactly how to.

Auto steering and TACC both work just fine and the car is seeing other cars next to/behind me. NoA doesn't do anything when activated, presumably because the lane change doesn't work.

Today I did notice that there are no outer lines for the lanes next to mine (that a lane change would go into) - I can't remember if there should be? That made me start to wonder if something has changed and the 417 isn't working for lane change right now? Lines are all clearly visible (even with the weather) and I've intentionally cleaned off all the cameras a few times to see if that's the issue but no joy. Stumped! Is something wrong with the car?
Strange. Auto steer should only be available when the car 'sees' both lanes anyway. ie, on the display when you are in EAP is the car bracketed by 2 blue lines (when not in NoA) or you see a single blue line in the centre with grey bracket lines (when in NoA)?

It sounds like something amiss if you are able to be in EAP with auto steer, but a turn signal does not initiate a lane change (when not in NoA). Are you clicking the signal stock down far enough when in EAP? It can't be a light tap, it needs to be the one that 'clicks' (even though the stalk doesn't really click).

NOA requires updated maps to be downloaded. Do you connect the car to Wi-Fi when you are at home? Wi-Fi is required for map downloads IIRC.

Also, are you using the Navigation routing during your drive? If so, does the Navigate on Autopilot button appear in the route screen?

I was in Ottawa last Friday as part of a roadtrip and NOA worked on the 417 without issue. Note that it's not automatic lane change, but NOA will suggest lane changes as you drive on the highway. It will automatically move into the exit lane once you reach your destination highway exit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys.

I should clarify what I mean about the lines - both lines for the lane I’m in are showing up (gray with auto steer off, blue with it on). What I meant is whether I should be seeing gray lines for the next lane over for lane change to recognize there’s another lane there and work?

Yes, it is on wifi every night so I assume it has the latest maps.

NoA shows the button and it goes blue when I press it but just doesn’t do anything else - no lane change suggestions, nothing.

And yes, I do know the indicator has to go fully up/down to lane change - like I said I used it in the past. The “unavailable” message leads me to believe something else is going on and if it’s not the good old 417 I guess it must be the car. Hmm.

Silly question, but is NOA on and setup in your settings?

Not a silly question, thanks for helping but yes, I see the button when I use nav and I can press it to activate it and make it go blue. Nothing different happens though - I'm pretty sure that's because lane change isn't working - it's not going to suggest lane changes when the function isn't working.

Not a silly question, thanks for helping but yes, I see the button when I use nav and I can press it to activate it and make it go blue. Nothing different happens though - I'm pretty sure that's because lane change isn't working - it's not going to suggest lane changes when the function isn't working.
What’s your pass preference set to?

Possibly dumb question, but are your cameras clean?

Yes, that was my initial thought about a cause (it's a messy time of year) but I've tried cleaning them a couple of times. Also I am seeing vehicles beside and behind me (including type - car/truck etc) so I assume that's the cameras seeing them.

What’s your pass preference set to?

Mad max! I did step it down one level in case it made a difference but no joy.

I would set a support ticket/bug report to Tesla. Something is wrong, especially if it gives you an 'unavailable' message when trying to initiate a manual lane change in EAP.

I have been kicked out of NoA twice this week when it was rainy. I got a notification that the weather was too poor to have stable NoA, but then the car just reverted to normal EAP, and lane change worked fine still.

Wait there is a second EAP trial? o_O

Yes there is 30 day trial available for folks who didn’t get the first. When the first 15 day trial came out my car had errors a couple of days in and it disabled EAP so I didn’t get to try it. By the time they cleared my errors it was over. I pleaded my case recently and they did have a record of the issues so they made me eligible for the new trial.

Reactions: iMoe
Here’s a photo I got my son to snap just now - we were on the highway, in the left hand lane, just passed the car on the right which is in the middle lane. Auto steer and NoA active as you can see.

No sign of gray lane markings for the other lanes - do other people see them in this situation?

C1361476-9A06-480D-8A76-2BF1BD2684E9.jpeg

Here’s a photo I got my son to snap just now - we were on the highway, in the left hand lane, just passed the car on the right which is in the middle lane. Auto steer and NoA active as you can see.

No sign of gray lane markings for the other lanes - do other people see them in this situation?

View attachment 367935
Maybe not at night, but if the car sees them they would show up. During the day I've seen up to 4 lanes around my car when they exist. It also shows the cars in them from what I recall.

Ah, I just managed to find a post with someone having very similar issues and it turns out they had a bad proximity sensor (ignore the nonsense title) - Automatic lane change is not working any more on EAP but works on TACC

Funnily enough they mention their parking sensors not working and I’ve just realized mine aren’t either - I had a feeling I hadn’t heard the beeps recently but didn’t have chance to check. And yes, they are turned on.

Anyone had a bad sensor before? Hopefully it’s not a SC trip.

NOA isn’t active in your picture (despite being enabled). When EAP is enabled (as in your pic) the car has blue lines on the left and right. When NOA is active those two lines converge into a single blue line that the car “follows”. Not sure what’s going on with your trial, but it doesn’t look like NOA is activating properly.

Have you tried turning NOA off, rebooting the computer, then turning NOA back on?

Maybe not at night, but if the car sees them they would show up. During the day I've seen up to 4 lanes around my car when they exist. It also shows the cars in them from what I recall.

This is the same day or night, good weather or bad, visible road markings or not. I think something is busted, probably a parking sensor per my post above.

NOA isn’t active in your picture (despite being enabled). When EAP is enabled (as in your pic) the car has blue lines on the left and right. When NOA is active those two lines converge into a single blue line that the car “follows”. Not sure what’s going on with your trial, but it doesn’t look like NOA is activating properly.

Have you tried turning NOA off, rebooting the computer, then turning NOA back on?

Yeah OK, NoA is "on" but not "active" then. I think it's all down to the lane change not working - it means NoA can't work properly. And my research tells me that's most likely a busted parking sensor, which would also explain those not working recently (just realized after I read about someone with both these same issues together). Yes I've tried turning every EAP option off and on again, rebooted with foot on brake pedal, powered off the car and every other recommendation I've seen. I think there must be a hardware issue. Now to get some attention from service...

Ah, I just managed to find a post with someone having very similar issues and it turns out they had a bad proximity sensor (ignore the nonsense title) - Automatic lane change is not working any more on EAP but works on TACC

Funnily enough they mention their parking sensors not working and I’ve just realized mine aren’t either - I had a feeling I hadn’t heard the beeps recently but didn’t have chance to check. And yes, they are turned on.

Anyone had a bad sensor before? Hopefully it’s not a SC trip.

Before the new year I was at an indoors parking lot parking and realized I'm not seeing the lines nor hearing the beeps when approaching obstacles up front. At this point I'm unsure for how long this has been happening. I did a few tests by approaching columns/cars to confirm and then tried the same while parking at home. I thought about it and figured it is either dirt on the front, the body wrap, a failed sensor or the recent update (48.12.1). After inspection I tentatively eliminated dirt and body wrap as I've had it for 3 months with no issues and the other sensors work. I scheduled an SC appointment and the earliest was for the 15th.
I leave for a week for New Year's and comeback to drive the car. All appears to work as it should. Lines and beeps are back.
I'm now trying to decide if I should keep my SC appointment or cancel it since all is back to normal so far.
I'll keep you posted.

I'm now trying to decide if I should keep my SC appointment or cancel it since all is back to normal so far.
I'll keep you posted.
I would call the service center and ask whether this is a "known issue". If it is, then keep the appointment because they'll already know what the problem is and how to fix it even if it isn't reproducible when you bring the car in. If it's not a "known issue" and the car keeps operating correctly, then personally I would cancel because they're likely to have a heck of a time figuring out what the problem is if they can't get it to happen. Though I suppose looking at logs might find something. But how worth it is a fishing expedition when the car is working right already?