Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Lane Change Unavailable - Car Cannot See Lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having pretty consistent trouble with Auto Lane Change not working while in Autosteer (production FSD, *not* FSD beta) on certain roads. When this is happening, I can see on the FSD visualization that AP doesn't see that there's an adjacent lane and that's why it won't change lanes. A few notes about when this happens:
  • It happens on divided highways
  • It only happens when trying to change into the left lane, never when trying to change into the right lane
  • The divided highways where this happens have no left shoulder - just a yellow line and then grass immediately
  • The yellow lines on the left are well painted (i.e., not faded or needing to be repainted)
Anyone else observe this behavior? I should also note that I have RCCC (AP2) cameras. Do the RCCC cameras have trouble seeing yellow?

I'm having pretty consistent trouble with Auto Lane Change not working while in Autosteer (production FSD, *not* FSD beta) on certain roads. When this is happening, I can see on the FSD visualization that AP doesn't see that there's an adjacent lane and that's why it won't change lanes. A few notes about when this happens:
  • It only happens when trying to change into the left lane, never when trying to change into the right lane
  • The divided highways where this happens have no left shoulder - just a yellow line and then grass immediately
  • The yellow lines on the left are well painted (i.e., not faded or needing to be repainted)
Anyone else observe this behavior? I should also note that I have RCCC (AP2) cameras. Do the RCCC cameras have trouble seeing yellow?

I don't think it's because of your camera's specifications. Very old cameras like the 2014 AP1 can still do an Auto Lane Change fine. My 2017 Model X still has AP2 cameras and does Auto Lane Change fine. My old cameras can do visualization fine. It cannot do FSD beta, which requires me to upgrade to at least AP2.5 cameras.

You did not mention the white line dividing the lanes. Is that a broken white line in good condition? Two lanes only on your side (not three or more)?

Does visualization display one very wide lane? Or, is it just a single normal sized lane?

If you have the lane change camera enabled, does it have a good video?

Any messages from the car regarding the failure?

Is this repeatable at the same stretches and does it fail every time?

Reactions: Padelford
You did not mention the white line dividing the lanes. Is that a broken white line in good condition? Two lanes only on your side (not three or more)?

Does visualization display one very wide lane? Or, is it just a single normal sized lane?

If you have the lane change camera enabled, does it have a good video?

Any messages from the car regarding the failure?

Is this repeatable at the same stretches and does it fail every time?
Yes, broken white line between the two lanes, in good condition. Two lanes only.

Visualization displays a single normal sized lane.

I have "legacy" Model S -> no lane change camera.

The message from the car is "lane change unavailable."

Yes, it's repeatable on that same road. Intermittently, it will recognize the left lane and allow right->left lane changes. Even worse, it will sometimes allow starting a lane change, then decide that the lane went away, and swerve back into the right lane.

I've experienced the same issue on every road trip I've taken in my 2018 Model S. When it happens to me, the car sees the lane marker between my lane and the adjacent lane, but it doesn't see the lane marker on the other side of the adjacent lane, which is usually the yellow solid line on the left shoulder. The car won't change lanes unless it sees lane markers on both sides of the target lane.

It’s the map database, in my experience. Is the problem road a state highway or less? There are multi-lane state highways in WA state on which NoA won’t work including auto lane change. Plain autopilot works.

It’s the map database, in my experience. Is the problem road a state highway or less? There are multi-lane state highways in WA state on which NoA won’t work including auto lane change. Plain autopilot works.
The highways where I experience this are US highways - US 29 and US 211 in Virginia.

Note, I'm using autosteer and trying to make manual automatic lane changes, not NoA automatic lane changes.

To update my own post - I now have RCCB cameras and FSD beta software.

My conclusion is that the issues I saw/see with the inability to change lanes are limitations/bugs with the legacy AP stack. The RCCB cameras didn't improve the issue. However, FSD beta has no problems with seeing the left lane on the same roads and will change lanes just fine.