Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-LaneChange non-functional on new X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was at the Sunnyvale store yesterday ordering a 3 and the sales folks there took us for a test-drive in our new X to walk through some of the things we'd missed/misunderstood.

It seems auto-lane-change is non-functional. The (super, super nice) Tesla assoc checked that it was enabled and was quite confused that it wasn't doing anything. From the middle-lane of a straight 3 lane road, @ ~40 mph, with no cars within 200 yrds it still did nothing. Lane following seems to work, just not changing.

Anyone else seen this?

Separately..auto-cruise control seems nice and I expect I'll use it in traffic. Lane following seems scary, though. We hit a point on the road where the lane split and it FreakedTheHellOut. Immediately went to panicky 'take the wheel now' state, but it was a pretty abrupt transition for me from just casually watching what it was doing to grabbing the wheel and returning to the correct lane.

Lane change only works on limited access roads. In the city you're on your own. At the mercy of what your maps say is appropriate for the road, so it could be a map error as well.

You do have to drive along with Autosteer, just for cases like the one you noticed. There's no intelligence there yet, it just follows the lines. After you've used it a few times you can figure out the cases that it may not handle.

Had my X for about a month now. Auto steer activated relatively quickly however lane change wasn’t working for quite a while - it was definitely enabled in the menu. Suddenly seemed to start working around a week ago. Not sure if additional calibration time is needed?

I did also carry out a software update to 2018.32.2 recently so maybe that had something to do with it.

You can tell if it's going to work by looking at the instrument cluster. In my experience, it will only change lanes if the autopilot display shows an adjacent lane. When you activate the turn signal the lane marker should switch to dashes and it executes the change.

If you don't see an adjacent lane on the display, then it won't allow you to automatically change lanes.

auto lane change generally only works on freeways for me.

True, but for some weird reason, there is one that I use where it does not recognize the other lanes even though it can see the cars over there. I drove like a dummy for a while with my turn signal on wondering why the car wouldn't move until I noticed that the adjacent grey lane lines were missing. It's consistent, so it must be getting invalid map data. The camera should be able to clearly see the other lanes.

You can tell if it's going to work by looking at the instrument cluster. In my experience, it will only change lanes if the autopilot display shows an adjacent lane. When you activate the turn signal the lane marker should switch to dashes and it executes the change.

If you don't see an adjacent lane on the display, then it won't allow you to automatically change lanes.

So this showing on a 3-lane southbound is not what works with the lane change?

Attachments

• 20180908_094454.jpg
    20180908_094454.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 82