Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto lange change only works 30% of the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

AP works geat on my 2016 S90D, but auto lange change very often just does not work at all. I hit the turn signal all the way, but there is no message "please hold the steering wheel" and the lane change does not initiate.

The lane markings are very clear and the highways have only two lanes. It happens on either lane if I want to switch to the other.

What could be the cause of this?

first off I'd bet that it works far more than it doesn't. sometimes the cameras/sensors are blinded by climatic conditions and other times it seems to just get "moody".
It can be annoying when the car isn't functioning 100% perfect, when the AP doesn't perform as it should just repeat often "AP is a beta"

Hi!

AP works geat on my 2016 S90D, but auto lange change very often just does not work at all. I hit the turn signal all the way, but there is no message "please hold the steering wheel" and the lane change does not initiate.

The lane markings are very clear and the highways have only two lanes. It happens on either lane if I want to switch to the other.

What could be the cause of this?
I think for EU version of auto lane change, after you flip the turn signal you also need to give a slight turn to the wheel to confirm that you want lane change. This is different than the USA version.

The auto lane change works for me 80% of the time. I found that when it doesn't work it's because my sensors were very dirty due salt and other dirt covering them. Clean the sensors and it starts working again without any issues.

BTW, you mentioned you "hit the turn signal all the way". Interesting, I just hold the turn signal without enough force to get it to click in as if I'm making a turn. Works just fine that way too.

It only works when there is enough space available per Autopilot program to effectivate lane change command, which is by my estimate at least 10-car length before and after my car; i.e. If there is no clearance of 20 car length next to me in the lane I want to switch into I have to do it manually myself as I normally can change lane with a clearance of 4-car (v.s. 20-car) length.

Reactions: maghielma
Haha very helpful comments, "it works for me" does not help me at all ;-)

I am sure I don't do anything wrong. The "please hold steering wheel" message just does not appear and even when I hold the wheel the lane change does not initiate. Visibility was always clear, I just pressure-washed the car. It happens at day and at night.

After three of four tries, it then just works again.

The AP itself works perfectly, so I don't think the camera is blocked or anything like that.

• Disagree
Reactions: Lerxt
It only works when there is enough space available per Autopilot program to effectivate lane change command, which is by my estimate at least 10-car length before and after my car; ..

OK that is helpful. But I guess there should be a message when the lane change does not initiate because of that. It looks very stupid if you are just blinking and blinking and nothing happens at all.

1. Ensure that Auto Lane Change is enabled in the Driver Assistance settings.
2. Ensure that the lane markings allow a lane change when initiated (it will not cross a solid line, for instance--at least in the US. It will also usually not cross a very short dashed line, such as to mark when a turn lane begins).
3. In the US, you can change lanes with slight depression of the turn signal stalk--in which case you have to hold it until the lane change is nearly complete. Or you can push it to click to the detent.
4. Obvious one, but ensure that the lane is clear (obviously it won't initiate if there are cars near where the car would move to :).
5. Ensure the driver display shows an adjacent lane.
6. European versions may require a slight tug (not required in the U.S.)
7. I don't believe you should expect to see a "please hold steering wheel" message (unless European versions are different here too).
8. Failing 1-7, ensure sensors are clean and functioning properly.

4. Obvious one, but ensure that the lane is clear (obviously it won't initiate if there are cars near where the car would move to :).
The predominantly reason for AP lane change to fail, like I discussed, is lack of clearance. Like Prefect said it's stupid the signal keeps blinking and nothing happens. It's even embarrassing that the car next to me actually slows down for me to move over but the AP just does not engage (and the driver would speed up closing the gap and may wonder what the heck I am doing).

Let's recommend some improvements: Pop up a red line on the next line to indicate there is not enough clearance to engage; a step further would be top-half red line to indicate no clear clearance to the front and buttom-half red line no rear clearance from the back.

And a Tesla car is a computer on wheel right? Can we make it smart adjusting the length of clearance required to initiate the lane change per individual's driving habit and tied to his/her driver profile? Or let us specify what clearance we are comfortable to engage lane change.

Also note that the adjacent lanes must be displayed on your dashboard for auto lane change to work...this took me a while to realize.

Yeah, I was going to say this as well. It took me awhile, but I finally realized you have to see the lane you want to change into displayed on to the dash, or it will think you're just on a one lane road. I got pretty frustrated with it until I figured this out.

Also note that the adjacent lanes must be displayed on your dashboard for auto lane change to work...this took me a while to realize.

Thanks, the adjacent line was actually not displayed on the dashboard. But why could this happen? the roads are very good here, the lines are very clear, the weather is good, there are not too many cars on the road. But there are some bends and curves.

Actually, you can take a look a the road yourself :)
Google Maps

I don't know why it fails to see the other lane.

6. European versions may require a slight tug (not required in the U.S.)
7. I don't believe you should expect to see a "please hold steering wheel" message (unless European versions are different here too).

In the European version you have to give the wheel a tug after you use the turn signal. And that is actually very dangerous. A friend of mine did hold the wheel a little too long, so the AP disengaged. But he did not notice it right away, so the car coasted to the guard rail. I managed to grab the wheel just before it was too late..

Google Maps

Not sure. Seems like the spacing between the lane markings is pretty large though.

In the European version you have to give the wheel a tug after you use the turn signal. And that is actually very dangerous. A friend of mine did hold the wheel a little too long, so the AP disengaged. But he did not notice it right away, so the car coasted to the guard rail. I managed to grab the wheel just before it was too late..

Real light tug. Not that hard :), but I agree it could be dangerous. I'm sure it's due to a European requirement though.

Thanks, the adjacent line was actually not displayed on the dashboard. But why could this happen? the roads are very good here, the lines are very clear, the weather is good, there are not too many cars on the road. But there are some bends and curves.

Google Maps

I have the same kind of issues with lane change. Where it seems to work WORST for me has absolutely NOTHING to do with distance. It happens most often when I am solo and no other cars are near at all. Clear lanes, clear marking, clear side lines everything visual is perfect. No distance issues as there are no other cars and I am always within 5 mph of the posted speed on this long stretch of expressway. I have come to the conclusion that it is one of the idiosyncrasies of A/P where it is heavily dependent on traffic and cues from other vehicles around it.

Reactions: Prefect
After installing the latest update on Friday I'd say that auto-lane change now only works about 50% of the time for me (in the UK).

By which I mean I indicate, hold the wheel, wait for one of the blue liines on the instrument panel to go dotted and.... nothing.

The change in behaviour is really noticeable because it means that to change lanes you have no choice but to deactivate autopilot and suffer the annoying "bing bong" noises.

Reactions: Prefect