Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-launching Tesla app on Android

spokey

Aug 8, 2020
Flagtown
I shut mine down ever night and this is bit annoying. I'm used to it just auto starting. Now I get in the car and get that swipe card key message when I shift in to reverse (or try to). Not the biggest problem in my life, but annoying. And yes it is getting worse. First the phone a month or two ago and now my tablet last week I think.

It may be a combination of your device's Android version and the API level targeted by the installed app version. If I recall correctly, there were changes regarding starting services for apps not running in the foreground when targeting Android 12 and above - but I haven't tracked this stuff closely in a long time.

Same. Pixel 3 and a new Pixel 6, both at A.12 do not auto-launch. The Pixel 3 has been at A.12 since November '21 and is orphaned by Google since then so obviously no update there. The Tesla app auto-launched on it reliably every single day (my devices are always turned entirely OFF every night) until sometime in April '22. So in my case the trigger was an update -- no, I don't know which one -- to the Telsa app.

So now it has become part of the morning routine. Turn on phone, make coffee, visit bathroom, start tesla-app. Life on the techy edge I guess.

spokey

Aug 8, 2020
Flagtown
According to the phone, my last update was a security fix on 10/5/21. Sometime in April, maybe as late as early May sounds about right for me. I keep the tesla app up to date. I usually load a new one from APKMirror as it usually has an update before the play store.

I also turn the phone off every night. I now have the app on the home screen. I still forget to start it many days. So I get in the car and get that swipe the card message. But it only takes maybe 15-30 seconds from launching until I can go. Still would be nice to have auto launch. I'd consider a new phone if that worked but the pixel 6 people are having trouble so why bother?

spokey

Aug 8, 2020
Flagtown
I just put the app on my home screen having given up hope previously. I still forget to start it. When I get in the car and try to shift I get the animated picture to swipe the card. Of course I fire up the app at that point. I'd say that it takes 15-20 (tops) seconds to start up.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC