Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-launching Tesla app on Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ran a string of updates. As posted earlier, I couldn't install the 3.x app versions. I installed every first and last build for each point version (ex. 4.1.0 & 4.1.9 but not say 4.1.5). All apps loaded from a cold start up to and including 4.8.1-1032. Then 4.9.0-1051 required starting the app. Tried it several times. Also, up to that point the logo showed up in the notification area about 1 1/2 minutes after keying in my pin to the phone. For 4.9.0 the logo did not show up until I started the app.

Lastly I uninstalled the app and re-installed 4.8.1 and the auto load started working again.

In all cases, I would start my phone and get in the car. Press the brake and have the key card message com up. When the logo showed up, the key kicked in and the key card message went away. I also verified that the app was not running after the car recognized the key.

I have the most recent app on my tablet so I compared the 4.8.1 to that. The only difference I see in the app is in charge stats settings. The current version has an 'other' for setting the electricity cost.

The only other thing I noticed is that I have my charge limit set to 65 but the last few charges have been going until it hits 68. Maybe nothing to do with this or maybe there was a charge limit bug.

I am on android 12.

• Informative
Reactions: srs5694
Same issue on my Samsung fold. Need to manually start the app, the permissions grant it to be able to auto start at boot but it not working.
It's clearly something tesla did given that I was able to get it back by restoring an old version. Then I lost it again moving from 4.8 to 4.9. I think I restored one more time and got it back. But I've decided to move on as I will want some of the newer app stuff. Don't have it as the FSDb version doesn't support the tire pressure, door open etc. But my app will be ready when the car software is up to date. And it really doesn't take long to start. Had it happen yesterday. I had turned my phone off for some reason and later back on. Got in the car and got the key card message. I have the Tesla app on my home screen so tapped it and less than 30 seconds later it started up. I often start the app as I'm leaving and the car has always been ready so while I would like the auto start back, I'm going to live with it.

This has been going on for over four months now, so I went looking for a way to file a bug report, but couldn't find one. Even the "Contact Us" link on Tesla's Web site no longer includes a way to submit a question or bug report; it's just a set of FAQs, as far as I can tell. Does anybody have any suggestions, other than the in-car voice-based "bug report" feature? I'm tempted to take a trip to my nearest Tesla store to complain in person.

Reactions: DJ Palmis
Even money says the SC will make up an answer. If you get to the mother ship, they'll say it's a change for security.

I gave in. Decided that starting the app myself was easy enough that I would do that rather than lose upcoming features. Forgot this morning. Tapped the icon and by the time I had my seatbelt on, the key had kicked in.

This has been going on for over four months now, so I went looking for a way to file a bug report, but couldn't find one. Even the "Contact Us" link on Tesla's Web site no longer includes a way to submit a question or bug report; it's just a set of FAQs, as far as I can tell. Does anybody have any suggestions, other than the in-car voice-based "bug report" feature? I'm tempted to take a trip to my nearest Tesla store to complain in person.
A ticket via app shall be enough. I did with no fix.
SC told me that the bug (feature?) is on Apple, too.
In this thread I noticed that is a Samsung/pixel issue only.

How long did you wait?
I have the
Pixel 3
Android 12 (last update end of life for the pixel 3)

But I guess I got used to opening it up and having it go right away. When I tested this yesterday I turned the phone off. Got in the car. Put my foot on the brake to get the swipe the card message. Then turned it on. It probably took at least 1 1/2 -2 minutes after unlocking for it to go.

It's still not auto-launching for me. I have a Google Pixel 6 Pro with Android 13 (with security update Oct. 5, 2022) and I'm on the Tesla app version 4.14.1-1395.
I take it back; it's now working for me, although perhaps not 100% reliably. I tried rebooting two more times, and it did auto-launch both those times, after about a minute or two of waiting. I waited as long the first time before manually launching the app, but maybe the launch delay is variable.

Currently I use Tasker on my Pixel 6 Pro to look for my cars Bluetooth and if connected, run other applications.I launch my favourite Internet radio station then launch car home Ultra that shows me GPS Speed ,compass and Altimeter.

This is great as when I finally get my Tesla it will be easy to change the Bluetooth device it looks for.

My app has never auto-started. But then I saw some of you are running Android 13. I checked, and my phone is running ... 9. That's what I get for running a 5+ yr old phone (Galaxy S8). It still works fine and I was in no hurry to update it, but ... maybe I need a new one after all.

My app has never auto-started. But then I saw some of you are running Android 13. I checked, and my phone is running ... 9. That's what I get for running a 5+ yr old phone (Galaxy S8). It still works fine and I was in no hurry to update it, but ... maybe I need a new one after all.
A bigger problem with such an old phone is that it most likely hasn't seen any security updates (in the core OS) for a while, and that makes it increasingly vulnerable to malware and other attacks. (Individual apps have probably been kept up-to-date, but not the core OS itself.)

Fortunately, many old phones can run newer open-source OSes, such as PixelExperience or LineageOS. (There are a ton of them; these are just two that I've used. A Web search will turn up more.) Most of these are Android, just like what came on the phone to begin with; but they're maintained by an open source community rather than by the manufacturer. The main problem is that you need to be rather tech-savvy, or know somebody who is, to run these OSes on your phone; installing them can be complicated. Also, not all phones are well-supported, and some can't be updated in this way at all. Still, if you're tech-savvy and satisfied with your phone's features and performance, it's worth looking into this option, rather than buying a new phone.

Reactions: spokey
Google only supplied updates for 2 years for my pixel 3. Some of the Samsungs go 3 years. I put norton on when I stopped getting updates. These things are too expensive to toss every 2 / 3 years. I'll take a look at those links. Although I build my own desktops, I'm a little reluctant to tear down the phone I use for my car and I think I've recycled all my older ones. Can't even think of having to use the keycard because I bricked my Pixel. I'd probably already have gotten a new one but all the new stuff is just too big or cost $1500 for one of those folders.

I turn mine off every night.
  1. Don't want it ringing
  2. Save the battery
  3. Keeps it from getting into mischief when I'm not around
Same with the PCs. If I don't shut them down, they are scheduled to shut themselves down anywhere between 12 & 1:30 depending on the machine.

Oh, and devices that are off are less prone to hacking. I've considered blocking router traffic altogether during the overnight at the router.

Reactions: DJ Palmis