TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Auto Loans for Car Sharing

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by brillantesg, Jul 23, 2018.

1. brillantesg

brillantesg Member

I'd like to get some insight since I couldn't really find much on this topic. Basically what auto loans allow participation in car sharing? I spoke to a USAA representative about a loan and they mentioned to me last minute that the loan would not be permitted for car sharing services like Turo. So right now I'm looking at alternatives, such as DCU. I applied through Tesla financing but wasn't approved, probably because I've never had the need to pull an auto loan in the past.

2. jruiz510

jruiz510 Member

Why does the bank need to know what you do with your car. Just ask for an auto loan and use it for ride sharing services on the side. I doubt they are going to follow up unless your missing payments.

3. brillantesg

brillantesg Member

My only concern would be if there was damage done to the car or the car is totaled, then the insurance, and maybe even the bank would have to be notified.

4. clicketyclack

clicketyclack Member

Anyone have a DCU referral code they would like to message me?

5. more863-also

more863-also Member

I would imagine most creditors would be extremely interested in any activity their debtor engaged in that might jeopardize the insurance coverage on their shared asset - things like ride sharing.

6. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

Turo's own insurance would supersede your own insurance and from what i've gathered on the internet they're pretty good at paying for your damage.

7. Gaspony

Gaspony New Member

Most financing agreements will say you can’t lease the vehicle. The definition of lease in that instance is the next question. Does Turo fall under that category? I don’t know if there is any legal precedent to say if that is technically leasing. Regardless, between personal comprehensive insurance and Turo insurance you should be covered.