TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Auto lock behavior

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by pavankp, Jul 7, 2018.

1. pavankp

pavankp Member

I was driving today to run some errands, with my wife in the passenger seat. I stopped for her to drop off the laundry, and waited for her with the brake on "hold" without putting the car in P. She comes back and I drive off. About 5 minutes later I noticed that the car was no locked.

I know that the car auto-locks after you drive up to a certain speed when you put it in D from P. Does this not work in the situation I described above? I don't know why they don't detect that the car has picked up speed and auto-lock always.

Is it just my car or is this how it is supposed to be?

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

How did you let her out? Every time I do that without putting the car in Park it complains that the door is open so I put it in Park until the door is closed again. Do you ignore the beeps or....?

(And maybe an X is different from a 3, lol....)

3. AlexanderAF

AlexanderAF Member

With most cars, if you unlock the doors while the car is in drive they will remain unlocked.

4. pavankp

pavankp Member

She pressed the door button to open the door. No beeps that I recall.

5. emeraldap

emeraldap Member

OP - my car works exactly the way it's described in this video.

I'd think a nearby SC would be able to clarify if for any reason, yours isn't.