Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto open/close frunk system

SCW-Greg

Jun 13, 2012
Beaverton, OR
If I understand correctly, the only downside is, for this to work, is that your Tesla is spoofed Into thinking the frunk is closed all the time. So it sends the signal to open either way, and the onscreen display will always show it closed. The controller box for this kit keeps track of the open or closed state.

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum

JUSTICEQD

Sep 23, 2019
Alpharetta, GA
If I understand correctly, the only downside is, for this to work, is that your Tesla is spoofed Into thinking the frunk is closed all the time. So it sends the signal to open either way, and the onscreen display will always show it closed. The controller box for this kit keeps track of the open or closed state.
From the video posted, that does not appear to be the case. The on-screen display showed it open and closed.

Reactions: spectrum

davezforce

IG @davezforce
Jan 18, 2017
NJ
Anyone install this on their MX? I’d love to make the drunk more user friendly.
I ordered the auto open/close a week ago, I’ll let you know as soon as I get it and how the install goes. I will be removing the auto open only kit (struts,spring) that’s about two months old if you want that let me know.

Reactions: SCW-Greg

spectrum

Jun 17, 2018
Atlanta
I’m pretty handy but this installation seems pretty involved. Is there any way I can pay someone to install this for me? in Atlanta

davezforce

IG @davezforce
Jan 18, 2017
NJ
I’m pretty handy but this installation seems pretty involved. Is there any way I can pay someone to install this for me? in Atlanta
It wasn’t too bad. I would say the worst part was accessing the switch in the Frunk compartment. The two torx screws that you need to get to suck because there is little room. I ended up making my own right angle driver by using just the torx bit in a 1/4 speed Ratchet. Besides that just bundling up the wires nice because they are long. That was really the worst two parts. Took about 3 hrs total.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC