TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Auto-open doesn't work after 1 week

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Mknac, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Mknac

Mknac Member

Ok so the auto open stopped working after 1 week. I have to either use the fob or touch the door handles.

What gives? Can the 12 volt batter really be that depleted after 1 week with a new car?

I've tried using both fobs - holding them by the the key ring next to the door handle, door and drivers mirror, nada. Car looks at me like I'm stupid, dud stop waving those things at me.

2. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Did you try a reboot? Press in both scroll wheels for 10 seconds.

• Like x 1
  3. Mknac

Mknac Member

I'll give it a try.

4. Mknac

Mknac Member

lol So I go the garage with a fob and of course for the first time in two days it auto opens. Thanks, I'll keep resetting in mind when it stops working again.

5. scottm

scottm Active Member

Keep the keys further away from the car inside the house when not using them, don't hang them on the hook by your garage door.

Model S can sniff the keys in proximity and gets the idea you are hanging around the car and it intentionally stops doing auto present of handles, because that's a nuisance. It's a feature. The keys have to leave the area. And when they return, you get a present.

Plus, your fob batteries will wear out sooner if the fobs stay within pinging distance of the car.

• Like x 1
  6. rfmurphy81

rfmurphy81 Member

I've also found that having RFID cards in the same pocket can prevent the car from recognizing the key fob. The moment I moved my employer ID into my back pocket the car recognized the key fob about 98% of the time (which was better than before).

• Like x 1
  7. PaulR

PaulR Member

Don't keep your cell phone in the same pocket as your Tesla key. If you have another car with an RF key (i have a BMW X5) then don't keep that key in the same pocket as your Tesla. They all interfere with each other. I was having similar problems with irregular handle presentations, and when I moved the BMW key to the other pants pocket and kept the phone in a holster (not my pants pocket) the problems all went away Now it works all the time as it should.

• Like x 1
  8. jmsurpri

jmsurpri Member

Same here. After moving my work badge with rfid to my other pocket it auto presents 100% of the time for me.

• Like x 1