Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto open drivers door intermittant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That can cause that behavior.

The computers that control the door opening go to sleep to save power, and you arrive expecting the door open before the computers can wake up and open it.

This applies to a lot of things in the car, so if you don't need energy saving on for your daily drives you should turn it off.

Source: very seasoned expert Tesla tech that came out and repaired the door latch on our X last week.

Not sure, and not sure why that's important. Perhaps a recent update to the car tweaked how often/how much the computers are put to sleep when Energy Saving is on?

If it was my car, I would try what this tech recommended (turn off Energy Saving, so the car is ready to respond when you approach) and if the problem persists, I would make a service appointment.

Merrill,

We've had our X since newly delivered in May. Auto-presenting driver door worked flawlessly until a few weeks ago,when it stopped auto opening although both key fobs would open it normally with double click.

Brought in for service and the SC replaced the BCU. Working perfectly now. Power saving mode never on BTW.

They were aware of this problem from other owners. It's usually the BCU and /or the in door fob sensing antenna that is the culprit.

Cheers

yes mine works intermittently, even in the same locations. The service center said to open and close the door a couple of times so the sensors reset.... And then it does work again for a while.

Happens to me with power saving on and off. I even had the drivers door gently hit the car next to me once. I find it all a bit flakey and unpredictable. I confirmed I was doing things correctly and had the settings correct in the car at the service center.

keep those software updates coming!!

-m

Did that help at all?

my driver door punched me in the gut when i was standing near it waiting for the back door to open.

i also had an instance when the door open like 2 inches and then when i pulled it open it was really hard to pull.... Like the motor was fighting me....

always an adventure!

-m

Did that help at all?

my driver door punched me in the gut when i was standing near it waiting for the back door to open.

i also had an instance when the door open like 2 inches and then when i pulled it open it was really hard to pull.... Like the motor was fighting me....

always an adventure!

-m
No, still intermittant and I called my service advisor and he said it needs to be resynronized.

Some time ago, Tesla changed the software for the driver's door. It was changed to prevent the door from continuously opening as you walk around the X. For example...prior to the change if the door closed and you walked around the car, it would reopen. Following the change, the door Auto Open has a 30 second (or there about) delay. It will not auto open with 30 seconds of closing. Drivers were noting unwanted openings, so the software was changed. Even if you walk away and return within 30 seconds, the auto open is inop. assuming you are not returning as a driver so soon. After 30 seconds, if functions as normal.