Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto open frunk for $15 [non electric]

john94si

Dec 16, 2020
Florida
I changed the frunk struts to my 2021 in 5 minutes and now it open on its own for only $15 struts...No need for the electronic ones for $300 plus.. yes i must close it manually but works great.

(moderator note: removed link that was created using amazon affiliate program)

Last edited by a moderator:

qdeathstar

May 17, 2019
VB
I am tempted. I agree the chances of it opening in flight are pretty low.. if the latch is not latched it won’t stay closed...

aspec818

Nov 15, 2018
Bay Area

TT97

Aug 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I have had those same struts since May 2019 with no issues. As far as the hood opening while driving, even with the standard struts, if you are travelling at any normal speed and the latch isn't secure, it will blow the hood open.

Reactions: adhoc and MODEL+

KenC

Sep 4, 2018
Maine
I changed the frunk struts to my 2021 in 5 minutes and now it open on its own for only $15 struts...No need for the electronic ones for $300 plus.. yes i must close it manually but works great.

Amazon.com: Lift Supports,ECCPP Front Hood Lift Support Struts Gas Springs for 2005-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Compatible with 6304 Strut Set of 2: Automotive
There was a huge thread a couple years ago about changing out the gas struts so that the frunk hood would "pop" open without help. I did it. Works fine, but for some, you may also have to change the spring that holds the latch shut, which allows a finger to close it. Unlike @tll, I haven't had any bending issues.

El joe

Jan 29, 2019
Bay Area, CA
yeah that's why I'd put it on the trunk instead. Any recommendations?
I added them to my trunk. Cost less than $20 and took less than twenty minutes. Definitely a little harder to close and it doesn’t open as wide, but still an improvement, particularly as cheap and easy as it was.

Reactions: john94si

arie21014

Dec 11, 2020
Las Vegas
I was going to get one of these options. But after owning my M3 a while I just don’t go into Frunk often enough to justify small expense, or risk of warping the trunk.
I keep charge cables, first aid, tire puncture kit, etc tools. I personally hope I never open my Frunk.

Reactions: El joe and lottadot

El joe

Jan 29, 2019
Bay Area, CA
I was going to get one of these options. But after owning my M3 a while I just don’t go into Frunk often enough to justify small expense, or risk of warping the trunk.
I keep charge cables, first aid, tire puncture kit, etc tools. I personally hope I never open my Frunk.
Yeah, the potential warping is the reason I’ve held off on doing this to my frunk.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ

vickh

Dec 16, 2018
az
I added them to my trunk. Cost less than $20 and took less than twenty minutes. Definitely a little harder to close and it doesn’t open as wide, but still an improvement, particularly as cheap and easy as it was.

item link?

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC