Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto open frunk for $15 [non electric]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mods removed my link for some reason..
upload_2021-2-23_12-47-17.png

I changed both of the struts in front and back a year and half ago and have had no problems.
The question of it being harder to close the frunk is actually bogus. If you read the user manual, it says to use two hands, so the question of using one hand is mute anyway

Yeah, whoever reported that as an affiliate link was wrong. The original link, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...sin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=tmc064-20 is not an affiliate link. If it was an affiliate link, the "&tag=tmc064-20" part would have contained the affiliate's account reference. "tmc064-20" is just a referring site reference number for Amazon's own statistics, and NOT an affiliate account.

If it helps you mods out, any time you see "tmc064-20" after the "&tag," it is NOT an affiliate link.

I've had both trunk and frunk struts upgraded, and a lighter spring on the frunk latch, with no problems in 2 years. You should always gently use 2 hands, like Tesla says, or center one hand, to close the frunk, no matter which struts are installed. I can't imagine how a slightly stronger strut would warp the hood.

In cold weather they can get sluggish: you need to make sure the balls are clean, free of residual paint, and well lubed. The strut heads with a metal socket are more robust if you're paranoid about wear and the ball then popping out. That allegedly did happen to one guy on his trunk.

There was talk of the opening being abrupt. In a week or so it settles in, and It's then nice and smooth. It's an appropriately simple and inexpensive way to solve what is, after all, a 1st world problem. The new factory stuff is one thing, but I sure can't see spending many hundreds on Chinese retrofit kits that can conflict with activation from the display and the Tesla app.

I've had both trunk and frunk struts upgraded, and a lighter spring on the frunk latch, with no problems in 2 years. You should always gently use 2 hands, like Tesla says, or center one hand, to close the frunk, no matter which struts are installed. I can't imagine how a slightly stronger strut would warp the hood.

In cold weather they can get sluggish: you need to make sure the balls are clean, free of residual paint, and well lubed. The strut heads with a metal socket are more robust if you're paranoid about wear and the ball then popping out. That allegedly did happen to one guy on his trunk.

There was talk of the opening being abrupt. In a week or so it settles in, and It's then nice and smooth. It's an appropriately simple and inexpensive way to solve what is, after all, a 1st world problem. The new factory stuff is one thing, but I sure can't see spending many hundreds on Chinese retrofit kits that can conflict with activation from the display and the Tesla app.

which ones did you use for trunk?