Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Open Frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great idea. Tesla is unable to make a self opening frunk due to legal issues, but the aftermarket might be able to come up with something.

For me opening has not been an issue. An auto closing system is what I would really like. Like the soft close that some luxury cars have, or even a power close like the hatch on the X or S.

Reactions: JohnnyG
I figured the liability issue for Tesla.
Auto Close/soft close would be wonderful and even moreso helpful than auto open, but then again if you are willing to spend the right coin anything is possible.
Auto open on the other hand would be $15-20. Well worth it I would think.
I acutally ordered the struts for auto open and then later realized it was posted on the Model 3 forum. They seem to be a few inches short from what the S needs.

The hood is aluminum. Known to easily bend. And a long lever arm.

I would be concerned with it possibly deforming, due to the strength of the struts that you would need to auto open such a large panel. It's not just the initial force, but also the rebound force when it reaches the end.

EDIT: Okay, I just ran out and looked at the frunk. I'm fairly sure you'd have to re-engineer the mounting of the struts for this to work. They currently mount to the back of the hood. You would need something mounted to the front of the hood to lift it.

This would be somewhat harder than a traditional hood. This is a weather sealed hood, with little room to work with for the struts to reside.

The hood is aluminum. Known to easily bend. And a long lever arm.

I would be concerned with it possibly deforming, due to the strength of the struts that you would need to auto open such a large panel. It's not just the initial force, but also the rebound force when it reaches the end.

EDIT: Okay, I just ran out and looked at the frunk. I'm fairly sure you'd have to re-engineer the mounting of the struts for this to work. They currently mount to the back of the hood. You would need something mounted to the front of the hood to lift it.

This would be somewhat harder than a traditional hood. This is a weather sealed hood, with little room to work with for the struts to reside.
I think you are over thinking the process.
Check this out....
Frunk Auto Open
Tesla Model 3 owner showcases DIY automatic-lifting front trunk (frunk)
Seems very doable.

• Disagree
Reactions: jlv1
I think you are over thinking the process.
Check this out....
Frunk Auto Open
Tesla Model 3 owner showcases DIY automatic-lifting front trunk (frunk)
Seems very doable.
The Model 3 has a completely different hinge design. It has a simple single swivel point, whereas the Model S has a complex hinge, with dual pivot points. Also, the struts on the Model S push backwards on the rear of the hood to hold it open. This is in part possible and due to the complex hinge design. The rear of the hood has to lift up, before it tilts back. The struts don't do anything until the rear of the hood lifts up and starts to tilt back.

That said, when I saw how much that Model 3 hood flexed when he went to close it; that's a big ole no way for me on that car either. Aluminum will bend and deform over time.

If you do come up with something that works safely on the Model S, I'd love to see a video on it though! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: jlv1
The Model 3 has a completely different hinge design. It has a simple single swivel point, whereas the Model S has a complex hinge, with dual pivot points. Also, the struts on the Model S push backwards on the rear of the hood to hold it open. This is in part possible and due to the complex hinge design. The rear of the hood has to lift up, before it tilts back. The struts don't do anything until the rear of the hood lifts up and starts to tilt back.

That said, when I saw how much that Model 3 hood flexed when he went to close it; that's a big ole no way for me on that car either. Aluminum will bend and deform over time.
You've said enough!
My search for struts to fit the S is over!
Although Im sure someone will come up with something sooner or later.
I think the frunk doesn't see much use from people anyways, it would've just been a nice party trick.

You've said enough!
I think the frunk doesn't see much use from people anyways, it would've just been a nice party trick.
I'm sorry... :(
I hate squashing dreams!
I do truly love the idea though!!
I always wished that they could've installed motorized struts. I would probably use the frunk more if they did.
I just would hate to see you hurt your new baby while prototyping. We need to get one of the salvage rebuilders to get on this! :D

I'm sorry... :(
I hate squashing dreams!
I do truly love the idea though!!
I always wished that they could've installed motorized struts. I would probably use the frunk more if they did.
I just would hate to see you hurt your new baby while prototyping. We need to get one of the salvage rebuilders to get on this! :D
And this is why I love this forum!
I've already met someone who went above and beyond for me and lent me their Chademo .
Now I've got people saving me potential damage to the S!
This forum has a wealth of knowledge and everyone is always so willing to help.

• Love
You've said enough!

I use my frunk every day, twice a day. It’s where I keep my briefcase for work.

Hopefully someone will figure it out eventually.

Reactions: Vancity-Tes1a
Here in the Midwest frunk open leads to time spent explaining the car. The relative rarity of the car and friendliness of the people leads to a presumption of car troubles and offer to help. So I don't use it much.

I have to agree that any solution would need to be mounted well forward and frankly likely dual. That is a big sheet of soft aluminum.