Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Parallel Parking feature working for anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
parking issues

has anyone taken their car to the service center for difficulty not seeing the P????[/QUOTE]

I find it ridiculous that the car needs a learning curve to be able to park. Tesla pick up this frustration with many Tesla owners and bring out an update taking care of this problem.
I am planning to go to service center next week will let you know what there response is.

Any examples you want to share, that is not yet known or advertised by Tesla? I am patiently waiting for the stall parking and home garage parking. :wink:

Just a speculation. From things I've been reading, the Mobileye chip still has a lot of processing power that's not being utilized, so with the current sensor suite, there is still a lot of room for potential software improvements. They obviously can never get to Level 3 without a ton more sensors, but they can do better than what we have now.

I think AP will keep getting better and better - all of these are random things I came up with in the last 5 minutes, I'm sure Tesla has a much more in depth list
-better lane holding
-adjusting to speed limits (hopefully optional)
-tighter parallel parking (I don't get why it's 20' minimum)
-stop lights/traffic signs (EM stated this)
-assisted stall parking (EM said in 7.1)
-home garage parking (EM said in 7.1)
-pedestrian/bicycle detection (I think EM mentioned this)
-driving on poorly marked roads
-city driving
-adjusting behavior in construction zones
-if they can utilize the rear view camera and are not doing so they can do something similar to what mercedes is doing with rear-accident avoidance (wont be as good without radar, but hey, use what you got)
-cross collision avoidance in parking lots (16' is better than 0', but again radar would be even better)
-back to the parking lots, when you're backing out, the car can stop if it sees someone is cutting you off (rear camera is fisheye)
-etc. etc.

-if they can utilize the rear view camera and are not doing so they can do something similar to what mercedes is doing with rear-accident avoidance (wont be as good without radar, but hey, use what you got)

In the "Your Autopilot has arrived" email that Tesla sent out on October 16th, 2015, it mentions cameras (plural) but radar (singular)​:
Our latest software update allows Model S to use its unique combination of cameras, radar, ultrasonic sensors, and data to steer down the highway, change lanes, and adjust speed in response to traffic.

I don't know if that was a typo as they only mention one camera in the blog:
This combined suite of features represents the only fully integrated autopilot system involving four different feedback modules: camera, radar, ultrasonics, and GPS.
I guess those are four modules...so the camera module could have multiple cameras. It could mean they do use the rear camera. Then again, maybe they meant the dual/redundant cameras that we've seen in pictures of the X. :wink:

Last edited:
Just a speculation. From things I've been reading, the Mobileye chip still has a lot of processing power that's not being utilized, so with the current sensor suite, there is still a lot of room for potential software improvements. They obviously can never get to Level 3 without a ton more sensors, but they can do better than what we have now.

I think AP will keep getting better and better - all of these are random things I came up with in the last 5 minutes, I'm sure Tesla has a much more in depth list
-better lane holding
-adjusting to speed limits (hopefully optional)
-tighter parallel parking (I don't get why it's 20' minimum)
-stop lights/traffic signs (EM stated this)
-assisted stall parking (EM said in 7.1)
-home garage parking (EM said in 7.1)
-pedestrian/bicycle detection (I think EM mentioned this)
-driving on poorly marked roads
-city driving
-adjusting behavior in construction zones
-cross collision avoidance in parking lots (16' is better than 0', but again radar would be even better)
-back to the parking lots, when you're backing out, the car can stop if it sees someone is cutting you off (rear camera is fisheye)
-etc. etc.

I would add that the crowd-sourcing capability is something none of us considered. That, integrated with Nav is going to be very interesting.

I would add that the crowd-sourcing capability is something none of us considered. That, integrated with Nav is going to be very interesting.

That's what I was getting at, but I guess I never got there ;).

We have NO idea what Tesla is doing, and [for the most part] they have not failed to impress with things that no other manufacturer can do.

Sure their AP hardware isn't the best on the market, but they've already done MORE with the "limited" hardware, than other manufacturers have done with what they have.

And I still don't think we're anywhere NEAR the limits of the hardware capabilities.

I haven't seen this mentioned before...but has anyone tested auto parallel parking on a narrow one-way street? I'm wondering how it shows up if there are available spaces on both sides of the street and how you choose which side of the street you want it to park on.
I have had the "P" show up on both sides of the car, though never at the same time, I also have not tried parking left, only right.

I claimed that it will have difficulty with auto-parking in situation where there are no obstruction beside it, i.e. just relying on lane marking. I continue to speculate that AP7.1 will still have that limitation.:tongue:

I'm not going through all your posts to find it, but I'm pretty sure you said that without side cameras the car will never be able to parallel park

Would love to see the screenshot of the 17" if auto park detects one on each side of the street at the same time. Perhaps another Easter Egg? [emoji3]
I'd bet it won't do it, only pick one or the other to display (though could switch to the other a couple inches further ahead or behind), I suppose someone with access to a bit of road and 4 spare cars (or a fwe garbage cans) could make a test location and see...

Fnally, just now, got it to work. Wow! Very cool, but a little bit white knuckled too as it kept reversing to less than a foot from the rear car so I panicked and hit the brake and had to pull forward on my own. AP has been a little more snarky for me, too, today so I just wasn't trusting her today.

I'm not going through all your posts to find it, but I'm pretty sure you said that without side cameras the car will never be able to parallel park

Since my memory is not very good, I searched my post and found the discussions on curb detection for stall parking.
This is what I posted
and also this

My interest is mostly stall parking since I seldom need parallel parking. Current auto parallel parking still has problem with some type of curb.

Since my memory is not very good, I searched my post and found the discussions on curb detection for stall parking.
This is what I posted
and also this

My interest is mostly stall parking since I seldom need parallel parking. Current auto parallel parking still has problem with some type of curb.

I'll take your word for it, this may have been one of the posts, but I'm remembering something wrt parallel parking...

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery - Page 33

ETA:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...age34?p=1067307&highlight=parking#post1067307 You clarified that it's for stall parking

But here you stated "not just for self parking" implying you didn't think self parking was possible either.
Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery - Page 139

Last edited:
Fnally, just now, got it to work. Wow! Very cool, but a little bit white knuckled too as it kept reversing to less than a foot from the rear car so I panicked and hit the brake and had to pull forward on my own. AP has been a little more snarky for me, too, today so I just wasn't trusting her today.

I did the same exact thing. Never really completed a full test of parallel parking because I chickened out. Car moved much faster than I expected so I bailed out.

Last edited: