Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Parallel Parking feature working for anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But a friend who came out to see it noticed it was perfectly parked - as only a computer could do. Exact same distance from rear and front wheels to curb. Wonder if it can be taught to turn wheels to or from curb on the hills?

Why? It puts on the emergency brake when in Park. There are second set of calipers that engage when in Park that keeps the car from rolling.

But a friend who came out to see it noticed it was perfectly parked - as only a computer could do. Exact same distance from rear and front wheels to curb. Wonder if it can be taught to turn wheels to or from curb on the hills?

Why? It puts on the emergency brake when in Park. There are second set of calipers that engage when in Park that keeps the car from rolling.

There are probably some locales where you can be issued a parking ticket for not properly turning your wheels when parked on a hill. On the other hand, it is certainly easy enough to turn the wheels yourself once parked.

If the car is going to be taught anything with respect to parallel parking, I'd like to see it taught not to turn the wheels while not moving. That's bad for both the tires and the power steering system.

Because in CA they will ticket for just that, or so I've been told.

I see reports on various sites that state the CA law is that wheels must be curbed if the grade is 3% or more. However, I can't find the actual law verbiage. But in theory the car does know if there is a curb there and could deduce from various sensors whether it is on an incline or decline and make the proper wheel adjustment.

I see reports on various sites that state the CA law is that wheels must be curbed if the grade is 3% or more. However, I can't find the actual law verbiage. But in theory the car does know if there is a curb there and could deduce from various sensors whether it is on an incline or decline and make the proper wheel adjustment.
Indeed. And for the future if we are to get to autonomous parking, then it may have to do just that. Just a thought, not an argument. And sometimes just a thought so that maybe tesla will listen...

Had my first failure today, it was odd.

It was a decent sized space too, but I think what caused it to fail was that there bushes growing next to the curb (i.e. if I had a passenger, he wouldn't be able to open the door).

Car started to park like it usually does, and midway it stopped and a notification popped up saying something along the lines of "AutoPark incomplete" or "AutoPark aborted" or something.

got it to work this evening once again, and then tried 6 times after that with no luck. AGHHH!!!!
I hardly do parallel parking in the area that I visit / shop / work. I am guessing that due to lack of side cameras, AP is using the sonic sensors as a substitute to determine the size of the available parking space (i.e. using the rear sensor to measure how much your car has traveled based on obstruction detection). When you stopped beside the car did your sensor detected the side fender of that car? Others reported that the type of curb is a challenge to sonic sensor (may be camera could help in the future?)

- - - Updated - - -

Had my first failure today, it was odd.

It was a decent sized space too, but I think what caused it to fail was that there bushes growing next to the curb (i.e. if I had a passenger, he wouldn't be able to open the door).

Car started to park like it usually does, and midway it stopped and a notification popped up saying something along the lines of "AutoPark incomplete" or "AutoPark aborted" or something.
Strange indeed. Could it be the sensors did not pickup the bushes before it even started the parking sequence. Maybe the AP should know that you have no passenger in front (by the seat detector) and continue to park? Could the sonic sensor distinguish a curb from the bushes?

Strange indeed. Could it be the sensors did not pickup the bushes before it even started the parking sequence. Maybe the AP should know that you have no passenger in front (by the seat detector) and continue to park? Could the sonic sensor distinguish a curb from the bushes?

I don't think autopark is smart enough to know that the passenger wouldn't be able to get out (I actually didn't have a passenger at the time), I think it just got scared of the bushes when it got closer to them. I was about 75% into the parking space when autopark said "nope, not happening, you deal with it!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OPESlV1sQA

This seems to be the first video, external shot only...
Noticed that this guy stop his S half passed the car beside him (i.e. rear sensor almost aligned with the B pillar of the car beside him). That might be a requirement for the rear sensor to complete the measurement of the parking space.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think autopark is smart enough to know that the passenger wouldn't be able to get out (I actually didn't have a passenger at the time), I think it just got scared of the bushes when it got closer to them. I was about 75% into the parking space when autopark said "nope, not happening, you deal with it!"
Did the bushes stick-out more than the curb? Why did the Auto Park even start to park if the lateral space is inadequate? But I know why the AP gave-up on you, because it knows that you are an expert parallel park driver.:biggrin:

Did the bushes stick-out more than the curb? Why did the Auto Park even start to park if the lateral space is inadequate? But I know why the AP gave-up on you, because it knows that you are an expert parallel park driver.:biggrin:

At the level the sensors are the bushes were probably on the same level as the curb. But the higher they went, the less trimmed they got, and they were definitely protruding over the curb.

I finished the job, no problem. The car did most of the work anyways :D

Because in CA they will ticket for just that, or so I've been told.

I've been ticketed in San Francisco for not turning my wheels !

In my area there's not a lot of opportunities for parallel parking. My 1st attempt a week ago failed without the "P" symbol but yesterday dropping my daughter's friend off at soccer, it popped up. I dropped the friend off, turned around to try it and it worked ! My daughter was screaming out the window "The car is parking itself !!!".

Just FYI, the car lets you know if it's still "Calibrating" and that autopark will not work:

tesla-autopark.jpg

Just go to Settings, Driver Assistance, and look to see if it shows the above "Autopark is Calibrating" text.

From the manual:

Calibration

During a parking sequence, Autopark must maneuver Model S with a great deal of precision. Therefore, before it can be used, Autopark must complete a calibration process. Calibration can take anywhere from 30 minutes to several days, depending on driving behavior. When Autopark is calibrating, you will see a note on the Driver Assistance settings screen indicating that calibration is in progress. When calibration is complete, this note no longer displays and Autopark is available for use.

Note: Autopark will repeat the calibration process whenever tires are changed.