TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Auto Parallel Parking feature working for anyone?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Gr8pursuit, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Footbag

Footbag Member

#61 Footbag, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    Agreed. I would suggest Tesla show something on the IC (when going at the slow speed needed for autopark) that confirms if it sees an appropriate curb (or better yet, fix it <if possible> to work with more curb types>). I think that one item would be a fundamental improvement that would make using the system much more user friendly. Oh, and make the P stand out much more obvious, as it is really kind of annoying to be driving in a 'looking for parking' capacity AND be looking down at the IC all the time... these are situations where cars pull out or dogs/kids run out, eyes should be on the road as much as possible (heads up display is REALLY going to help Tesla out as they move further with autopilot, imo).

It already works at what I (for what it is worth) think is an appropriate lateral distance from the parked cars, so that should be straight forward.
    Slow speed makes sense.
    Oh look, a big P, I can park here!
    K, having to know to put car in reverse isn't ideal, but it isn't horrible.
    From there, the car does a good job, putting buttons and status front and center for the driver.

2. Max*

Max* Charging

Do you have a better suggestion?

3. GregTexas

GregTexas Member

#63 GregTexas, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Another video I found. Parking at the end.

4. Footbag

Footbag Member

I hope the advice on this thread worked and that you were successful. It is pretty magical (if not nerve wracking worrying about curbing the wheels).

- - - Updated - - -

Not really LOL. I haven't had much experience with other self park systems. Did an auto park in a ford once. If I recall correctly, there was no user intervention required, like Tesla, drive by the spot. I think the difference was each time it found a potential spot, the touchscreen gave you a button to press to start autopark (rather than putting it in reverse to start the process). I like that idea in concept, so long as the touchscreen doesn't keep popping up with 'do you want to park' when you DON'T want to park, as maybe you are just driving by parked cars at a slow speed. Not sure how to prevent 'false positive' prompts to park in that scenario (and I don't recall how Ford handled it).

5. msnow

msnow Active Member

I couldn't get it to work at all yesterday. This morning after reading some tips from users here on TMC I finally got it to work. The trick for me was pulling up even to or even slightly in front of the forward parked car. Also the little gray "P" on the dash isn't that easy to see.

6. Footbag

Footbag Member

#66 Footbag, Oct 16, 2015
    I am curious as to the thoughts of others on the following: Curb type seems to be an issue... any chance the height of the car (for those with adjustable suspension) makes a difference? I just thought of this, haven't had a chance to try it. I doubt it would, as the between highest and lowest is pretty small, and in most situations, people's cars are likely already at Normal when trying to park, so minimal change. What say TMC?

7. msnow

msnow Active Member

My guess is that it's a specific right or left rear sensor or two that triggers it. Once those sensors see the parking spot from the right angle it can do its calculations which trigger the on screen message.

8. jlucero

jlucero Member

do you need to turn on a setting in controls for auto parking? i didnt see any.

9. Footbag

Footbag Member

No, there are no settings to turn autoparking on/off (although... i'm not sure if auto park works if the autopilot/autosteer settings that do have on/off toggles are set to off?). At low speed, it is always 'hunting' for a spot. If it finds one that qualifies, a P will show up on the IP. As noted up thread, the curb type tends to 'curb' the success rate of Autopark.

10. fisbrek

fisbrek Member

I tried it a bunch of times yesterday without success. Very frustrating. Then I watched the videos on this thread (the ones with screen shots inside the car) and saw where the P indicator shows up when the car is ready to auto park. It is near the car icon on the display just above the steering wheel. Look just to the right of the right rear quarter panel of the car icon. I finally found it. The P indicator is quite dim, at least to my eyes. I think it is entirely possible that it was working yesterday and I just didn't see the P indicator, partly because I didn't know where to look. Anyhow, it works like a charm now that I know what I am looking for.

I hope that helps.

11. jlucero

jlucero Member

hmmm yea, i also cant find the P on a parking spot, to join alot of others who cant as well...

12. Tesla S1

Tesla S1 Member

Finally got Auto Park to work! Could be sensors have to get "used" to surroundings. I drove around my neighborhood today with normal curbs and just could not get Auto Park to operate. Read this thread and drove to the front of my house...where it "failed" numerous times today by NEVER showing the Gray P. First time driving tonight, got the GRAY P and it worked!
    Mistakes I may have made today for Auto Park to NOT work:
    1. did not drive far enough past front car
    2. drove too close to cars

Sensitive for me though. Gray P disappears VERY quickly and I was only going 3MPH. How it worked for me: Right when you see gray P, STOP. Put car in Reverse and keep foot on brake. THEN touch screen will show up and you select Blue START button on TouchScreen. GOOD luck to all!

13. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

#73 brucet999, Oct 16, 2015
    Why wouldn't it? That's the same as parking in UK and Australia.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't follow your logic. If they can just calibrate the software, then the downloaded would work as well as factory install. Or do you think they drive each car up and down Kato road before shipping them out. :)

14. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Supporting Member

I haven't tried this in my Tesla (it rained today and I washed her yesterday), but my MBZ told me there was a parking spot across the divider from me today. Which is why I've never used it in that car.

15. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

I just went on an after-dinner autoparking escapade. I think I tried over twenty spots on various streets, and got ONE of the attempts to work, using the tips from this thread. When it worked, it was super awesome!! But the other 19 times or so, it was pretty bad. It seems to like a very particular situation with the right curb appeal and surrounding cars. If it doesn't have it, it won't P.

In the one attempt where I got it to work, I was so excited I circled around the block to try it again. DAMNIT c'mon ... it wouldn't do it the second time in the exact same parking spot. Boooo. :(

- K

16. Soolim

Soolim Member

I think AP is picky, she wants to park with handsome cars only. Someone who wouldn't hurt her. :tongue:

17. verdee

verdee Member

Been trying a variety of spots, curb heights, etc since the update I have not had any success

18. msnow

msnow Active Member

#78 msnow, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Thanks to your tips I finally got it work too. Much appreciated!

19. jlucero

jlucero Member

still cant get it to work---irritating. hopefully this is just something new in the beginning and will become more user friendly in the next few weeks.

20. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Active Member

Got it to work this morning. Really have to look hard for the "p".