TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Auto Parallel Parking feature working for anyone?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Gr8pursuit, Oct 15, 2015.

1. SMF

SMF Member

Sorry to join the frustration after the enthusiasm wave with the V7 upgrade. Frankly, the Autopark is the Beta and Autosteer is working much better (at least on the highways).
    1. The only beef with the Autosteer is that is shouldn't be used on <45mph roads. It doesn't do hairpins or sharp turns well--it over steers and you need to take control.
    2. The Autopark is very touchy. Agree with all above--my wife noticed that when it works, about 1 out of 5-10 times; a little black car appeared alongside the dashboard image and then the magical "P" appeared.
    3. Since the Autopark doesn't work either in front or behind a single parked car--it drops the number of times you would ever use it. Makes no sense to me and should be fixed in the next upgrade.

But..........its a good start

2. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

Why would you need it if there is only a single parked car?

3. SMF

SMF Member

Short street, or driveway, or dumpster.........plenty of examples. If it works it works.......

4. peteyswift

peteyswift Member

The ratio of cars honking behind me as I look for the unicorn spot to successful autoparking = 7/0. As mentioned above they should at least have a sign pop up in the IC opposite the usual speed limit sign (on the right) that looks like this:
    fdb957b5e3c12e2fd530bd6ccc85d946.jpg

5. Griffinlair

Griffinlair Member

I must have had more luck in finding spots that my car can recognize than the majority. I've tested it a total of 3 times so far, all three successful. I started with a space that was quite large between cars, big enough that I figured it wouldn't work from the discussions here. I could have just pulled forward into the spot. Anyway, it worked. My mother was in the car with me and said " that is the coolest thing ever". I then tried two more places that were progressively tighter, both worked flawlessly. The final one was fairly tight, it parked much more slowly than the first two. Maybe a foot of clearance front and back.
    all three had square sidewalk curbing. I had to pull farther past the lead car than I would have thought necessary. I didn't cloud the parked cars, just regular distance like I was driving down the road. And it worked fine both on left side and right side parking. The first two were on the left the last on the right.
    the "P" is fairly hard to notice, but thanks to you guys, I was watching closely for it, and saw it.
    i don't know if it mattered but I did use my turn signal each time, but until after I saw the "P".
    i found the distance from the curb to be ideal, just a few inches, but no issue with scraping my tires or rims.

6. bigdomer

bigdomer Member

I asked the local sales/service center for an autopark tutorial yesterday. The reply was along the lines of one of the earlier threads that the car needs more miles on it under v7 in order to "learn" how to autopark in my particular environment. Guess we'll see.

7. garygid

garygid Member

If Creep is turned On, does the just-parked car come to a complete
    stop by engaging Park mode?

8. MileHighMotoring

Yes

9. Ingineer

Ingineer Electrical Engineer

Bmah and CleanPower suggested in the Firmware 7.0 thread that Tesla restore the AP/TACC on/off toggle button on the end of the control stalk. (Right now it doesn't do anything) When pressed, it would shut off AP/TACC and then display the somewhat original non-AP UI with the speedo/power dial. When it's toggled back on though, the "ding" parking space alert would then be enabled when it sees a spot and you are driving at or below 15mph.

10. verdee

verdee Member

Success. I have been trying to get auto parking to work since day 1 and have had zero luck. I was just driving home, same neighborhood I have been trying, and suddenly saw the "P". This was on a very low curb, I was not expecting it to work. I kept driving around and I consistently got it to work, even in spaces I had previously had zero luck. I guess the sensors do need time to calibrate.

11. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

I had my second ]P[ success by setting it up in front of my house using my other car and another car. Is it me, or do you all notice that the proximity to the front car's rear bumper corner on the first turn is DANGEROUSLY close. I'm thinking it's probably under 10 inches of clearance. I guess for a machine, this is plenty of buffer, but for me, I'm getting very scared.

12. msnow

msnow Active Member

Agree, a little to close for comfort for me too.

13. ar4c

ar4c Banned

Just be careful if it is trying to parallel park behind a truck or SUV with a large trailer hitch. It won't see it, and the car will hit the hitch. Just double-check every car you are parking behind before initiating AutoPark.

14. daviddavidw

daviddavidw Member

Me too. I haven't had any success at all until today (I got v7 day 1), and all of a sudden today, it works consistently every time.

15. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

Makes me wonder if the system (the central computer at Tesla receiving constant input from all the cars on the road) is becoming smarter by the day.

Not unlike the Borg Collective?

16. jlucero

jlucero Member

david---interesting. i didnt test it today but i do suspect it will get better with time. i tried on saturday and it worked one time and did not work 8 times. so far its worthless and a joke. hope it gets better soon. does seem like elon would have a pretty good success rate before releasing it.

17. ar4c

ar4c Banned

Just tried it again tonight, now 250 miles on version 7.0. How much "learning" needs to be done? I tried no less then 6-7 perfectly capable spots, with at minimum 20 feet of space, with perfectly sculpted and visible curbs. Driving 2 ft from cars on side of road, 10-12MPH.. Was the humidity levels to high? Perhaps the moon not in the right orbit? It seems this is WAY too touchy and picky. I seriously think this is a massive oversight.

autosteer worked great though.

18. Gr8pursuit

Gr8pursuit Member

Does anyone that is having problems with auto-park have a clear bra on there front bumper that is covering up the right front parking sensor? Maybe that is why mine is not working?

19. Tuan

Tuan Member

20. Ingineer

Ingineer Electrical Engineer

#120 Ingineer, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    If any of you have had a clear bra protective coating such as Xpel, 3M, ClearBra, etc. applied, I'd recommend peeling it off the 12 ultrasonic transducers on your car. The surface of the transducer needs to vibrate many tens of thousands of times per second. If the polymer coating is covering it, it will damp these return vibrations and definitely reduce the range and sensitivity of the transducer.

autopilot.PNG

As you can see from this diagram; the 4 side sonar transducers, which are the two just behind each rear wheel (on the quarter panel) and the other two just in front of each front wheel on the edge of the wheel opening, are critical for location of the curbs for autoparking. Be sure these sensors are clean and uncovered if you expect the autoparking system to function correctly .