Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Parallel Parking feature working for anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's very unfortunate, our city likes very low and rounded curbs...

Funny, normally I'm cursing how few rounded curbs there are in our city
as they are much harder to curb. On the other hand it is the pronounced curbs where I'm more likely to want the P.P. feature as it presumably never curbs the wheels. I have made this feature work a couple of times. I think I had to brake in the (previously mentioned) ideal position in order for the P to show up. The car actually parks close enough to the curb that you need to be careful about any movement forward or backwards to get out of the parking space.

'Fraid I can't be bothered to wade thru the entire thread to see but in case no-one else has mentioned it yet, the V7.0 release notes refer to a period of self park mode 'calibration' after first installing V7.0... which might explain why lots of people who have installed 7.0 and rushed out to play with it may not get to work initially. (I expect this has been mentioned to death so pls ignore). MW

'Fraid I can't be bothered to wade thru the entire thread to see but in case no-one else has mentioned it yet, the V7.0 release notes refer to a period of self park mode 'calibration' after first installing V7.0... which might explain why lots of people who have installed 7.0 and rushed out to play with it may not get to work initially. (I expect this has been mentioned to death so pls ignore). MW
Yes, but 9 days of "calibration?" My S70D has yet to present the "P." In fact, it's so slow "learning," I've placed it on academic probation.

Installed v7 (Europe) this morning. Auto parking worked 1/2 times today. I drove about 150km before trying it. First time, it parallel parked great (to be honest, I actually stopped it by breaking at some point as it was going a bit too fast for me given how tight the spot was, one-way street and heavy evening traffic behind me).

Second time, it refused to back into a charging spot and I had to do it by hand. Perhaps because the spot was separated by a bicycle lane and an "EV marker" lane, here is the link to the configuration:
Google Maps

Second time, it refused to back into a charging spot and I had to do it by hand. Perhaps because the spot was separated by a bicycle lane and an "EV marker" lane, here is the link to the configuration:
GoogleÂ*Maps

Salut! And welcome to the forum :)

In your second example, I will take a guess and say that the reason it couldn't AutoPark was due to the fact that there was no other car on the other side of the parking space from the Renault Twizy. AutoPark needs specific conditions to work, and one of them is that the parking space is between two cars (and spaces by a certain distance, not too much but also not too little).

Just tried Autopark three times and it worked perfectly three times.

Perhaps the key difference is that I have about 400 miles of autopilot driving which perhaps calibrates things first?

I just pulled a little ahead of the front car, the P presented itself, I put it in R and pressed the button on the screen and away it went. worked great.

if having problems try driving on autopilot for a long time.

Also it was at night and very easy to see the P on the dash.

These videos are the best ones on Youtube right now. PhillyGal, welcome to TMC. We just landed us a celebrity from the Tesla forums. :)

I've gotten better at getting the car to P. It does take some finding out what is the optimal speed, distance, and situation. I think on Day 1, I was batting 1/20. But now I can get it maybe 90% of the time. Once you get it, it's pretty easy to get it to P. I've even had success getting it to autopark between two spaces where there is a curb cut/driveway ... just for fun.

- K

Last edited:
Tesla Model S Autopark - YouTube
Demonstration of and how to use autopark. I know there are probably many other videos posted here, but I just thought some would like to see this.

In the video above, people walk through the parking spot as the Model S is autoparking. I wonder if it needed to, if the Model S would stop to avoid hitting a pedestrian that did that, or if while autoparking, pedestrians are essentially invisible to the Model S.

I realize, of course, that the driver is always responsible, and should be prepared to brake to avoid hitting a pedestrian. I'm just wondering what the car would do without driver intervention.

I was one where the parallel park wouldn't trigger no matter what. I downloaded the 7.0 update the first day. Finally today it started working, and worked well. Managed to have the P appear on multiple spots. Successfully auto-parked into one of them.

Didn't do anything different than before. I guess it does just take time.

I am not suggesting that V7 requires the driver to have the turn signal on when looking for an open space, just that if the turn signal was on it would serve to alert a car behind you that the reason you are moving so slowly was because you were looking for a space. @jlucero's post said that drivers behind him/her were upset at the slow speed necessary for AP to locate a space to park in.