Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Parallel Parking feature working for anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I can't have 2 feet in front and back between the cars I won't park there. Too much chance of one of those cars in front or back hitting me when they leave.
I'm with you on this one. 2 feet either way is a good average, but based on other factors I won't always leave it dead center...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OPESlV1sQA

This seems to be the first video, external shot only...
Thx for the link, it did a fine job parking BUT I try not to grind the tires into the asphalt when completely stopped, I try to get it in as I'm slowing down. If it does this for me I'll be unlikely to use it for fear of killing my tires.

And wasn't buddy's power steering making a funny noise ?

20 feet in length? The car is a little over 16'... that'll kill a lot of parking opportunities in big cities, and I can do better myself.

In the UK a 6m long space is a rare luxury indeed. So I guess for 80% of the parking spaces I come across this won't be useful.

Also the car in that video ends up too far from the kerb for a smaller UK road. Maximum 2 inches from wheel to kerb I'd say.

I know there are a few people in this forum that have said they can auto parallel park consistently with this firmware but after spending the last three hours testing in several common scenarios that should work based on the release notes I have been unable to. Unless someone can demonstrate differently with video using our release I have to conclude the one may be broken or perhaps were not given enough information to enable it.

No luck here. I've spent the afternoon at the local service center. They've been trying with another customer's car and with mine. Several different parking spots, varied speeds, varied distances from the parked cars, varied distance between the parked cars.

In all case no "P' is seen.

Also spent time on the phone with the Help desk. It was the first they'd heard about the problem (apparently they do not read the forums). They were unable to come up with a fix and are going to pull my car's logs.

Not blaming anyone, BTW. Any software this complex is going to have issues and it's only been out a few hours.

The rest of the package is working well. Driving in traffic with hands on my lap is spooky. But fun. :)

It does work. Took me a while to figure out how to kick it in. Similar to ReddyKilowatt, I pulled up slowly next to the car behind the spot, drove forward slowly (8-12mph seems about right) until the front of my car was about 3 feet in front of the car in front of the spot I wanted and I could see a "P" icon on my display over the steering wheel. Switching to reverse, the autopark button appeared on the rear camera display on the 17" screen. Tapped that and just watched with amazement. It made me a bit anxious because it moves pretty quick (faster than I can) and gets closer to the curb than I usually do (or can safely), but I can tell it knows what its doing.

It does work. Took me a while to figure out how to kick it in. Similar to ReddyKilowatt, I pulled up slowly next to the car behind the spot, drove forward slowly (8-12mph seems about right) until the front of my car was about 3 feet in front of the car in front of the spot I wanted and I could see a "P" icon on my display over the steering wheel. Switching to reverse, the autopark button appeared on the rear camera display on the 17" screen. Tapped that and just watched with amazement. It made me a bit anxious because it moves pretty quick (faster than I can) and gets closer to the curb than I usually do (or can safely), but I can tell it knows what its doing.

I followed your method to a tee, so have dozens of others but it's not working for us. Love to see video of your screens while you are executing this.

I followed your method to a tee, so have dozens of others but it's not working for us. Love to see video of your screens while you are executing this.

Hmm... Okay. Heading to the gym momentarily. I'll try to get a video.

- - - Updated - - -

Can it parallel park on the left side of a one way street?

Sorry but I don't have any of those near me to test for you.

Thx for the link, it did a fine job parking BUT I try not to grind the tires into the asphalt when completely stopped, I try to get it in as I'm slowing down. If it does this for me I'll be unlikely to use it for fear of killing my tires.

And wasn't buddy's power steering making a funny noise ?

This was exactly my impression watching the video. A human would cut the wheel while the car moves slowly so that the tires aren't scrubbed nor the power steering stressed. Reprogramming to do it the right way shouldn't be to difficult.

Ames, That's my video.

I have some internal videos also. I was going to post them but it's my 20 year anniversary and my daughters 13 year birthday.

Quite a day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OPESlV1sQA

This seems to be the first video, external shot only...

- - - Updated - - -

The P shows up on the main dash and you put the car in Reverse. Then you get a button on the 17inch screen to start the auto park.

Assuming you get the P to show up, where is the activate out park that the manual talks about? Does it show up automatically on the main screen?

So I went out again after work and got it to work. I don't have a video, but the 2 'secrets' that I uncovered are: a) the "P" doesn't show up until I am further past the parking spot than i would think it should - so in other words, try pulling a bit further ahead. b) it seems to NOT WORK on low or rounded curbs. Most of the newer residential curbs are rounded (think the type that you can drive up for a garage). The auto park doesn't want to work on those.
To be clear, other than driving slowly, you don't need to do anything special... be a 'normal' (at least for me lol) distance away from the cars as you drive by them, the spot has to be appropriate... it seems to fit in somewhat tight spots... but that is relative again to my perspective. Drive past the space, and drive almost past the car in front of the space and if the curb is right, you should get the P in the console, put in reverse and the 17" will show a message to begin the parking process.

doesntwork.PNG
works.PNG

In the pictures above, the left/first picture is a type of curb it won't work on. The right/second picture is a square curb it will work on, and that space is pretty similar to what you need to park the car. Hopefully someone will do up an instructional video, but in lieu of that, I hope this post helped someone get it to work.

I will mention that the 3 parking jobs it did, I intervened as I was concerned about it curbing the rear wheel. I may not of, but it looked close, so I err'd on the side of of caution and aborted the maneuver. Aside from that (or if I get comfortable that it won't curb the wheel), it works well and fairly quickly. I'm not a great parallel parker, but I have done very well with the S, and the car can do it just as fast as I can.