Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Parallel Parking feature working for anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They should add a sound effect each time the P appears. "Ding!" There's a space!

Agree! Need to hear it while looking for the appropriate spot. Very hard to look for the P and also a spot that's the right size, near the right curb, between the two acceptably priced cars...:tongue:

Good idea. Not just any space, but a Tesla-AutoPark-Approved space!

I know this is a thread where people have been having trouble getting Autopark working, and also having trouble seeing the "P" appear, but I really don't think an additional automatic sound is the answer. In theory, that "P" is supposed to appear any time a spot could be parked in, any time you are driving fifteen miles an hour or slower. It doesn't happen only when a mode is set. If you add a sound, as it stands now, people would be driving around, often not looking for parking spots, with the car making unwanted sounds constantly. That really wouldn't make any sense.

I could see a couple of ways Tesla could improve the "P" notification, though. One would be to do something graphically, so make the "P" stand out a little better on the display. (I haven't looked for it yet myself, but from what I've read, it can be difficult to see.) Another possibility would be to add an --OPTIONAL-- sound so that when we are looking for a spot we could enable the sound alert, but we'd still have the ability to disable the sound most of the time, when we're just driving around, not in search of a parking spot. But adding a sound without the ability to disable that sound would not be the way to go, as that would just be annoying.

Marc is our West Coast version of Bjorn.
That!^^

- - - Updated - - -

I know this is a thread where people have been having trouble getting Autopark working, and also having trouble seeing the "P" appear, but I really don't think an additional automatic sound is the answer. In theory, that "P" is supposed to appear any time a spot could be parked in, any time you are driving fifteen miles an hour or slower. It doesn't happen only when a mode is set. If you add a sound, as it stands now, people would be driving around, often not looking for parking spots, with the car making unwanted sounds constantly. That really wouldn't make any sense.

I could see a couple of ways Tesla could improve the "P" notification, though. One would be to do something graphically, so make the "P" stand out a little better on the display. (I haven't looked for it yet myself, but from what I've read, it can be difficult to see.) Another possibility would be to add an --OPTIONAL-- sound so that when we are looking for a spot we could enable the sound alert, but we'd still have the ability to disable the sound most of the time, when we're just driving around, not in search of a parking spot. But adding a sound without the ability to disable that sound would not be the way to go, as that would just be annoying.
Yes, I can see how I might feel the same if I had ever seen the P. No matter how slowly I drove, or how far I pulled up, as suggested by some on here, I could never see a P. In the MBZ I get the P all the time, even all the way across the road, so I'd never want a "Ding!" in that car. Just wish I could actually use this feature in the Tesla. It's hard driving round and round, slowing down, signaling, waiting for the P to appear, and it never does.

I tried to use AutoPark in about 15 different ideal parallel parking scenarios. No joke, it FINALLY let me try it once. I circled around, and after trying two more times in the EXACT SAME SPOT using the "tricks" mentioned here.. nothing happened. AutoPark is a complete joke. How did this pass the early access program testing? I have used this without even thinking about it in other cars. Even a Jeep Cherokee. The blind spot sensors and now AutoPark really makes me think Tesla is just cutting corners and rushing things out there. Seriously Elon.. you are a smart guy, but I am embarrassed for you when it comes to AutoPilot.

Yes, I can see how I might feel the same if I had ever seen the P. No matter how slowly I drove, or how far I pulled up, as suggested by some on here, I could never see a P. In the MBZ I get the P all the time, even all the way across the road, so I'd never want a "Ding!" in that car. Just wish I could actually use this feature in the Tesla. It's hard driving round and round, slowing down, signaling, waiting for the P to appear, and it never does.

In all likelihood, Tesla will improve upon the software, and the "P"s will start showing up much more regularly. If they also add a sound that can't be turned off, our cars are going to sound like pinball machines.

In all likelihood, Tesla will improve upon the software, and the "P"s will start showing up much more regularly. If they also add a sound that can't be turned off, our cars are going to sound like pinball machines.
Yes, I think the sound could easily be enabled the way many of the driver assistance features are. But if the P were more obvious - in the MBZ it's blue in a square just like the signs on the side of the road designating Parking Areas- that would probably be enough. I see it way too much in the MBZ and never yet in the Tesla. It shows up in the IC, right?

That!^^

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously. I'm up at 3:15 AM on 10/15 in my boxers waiting for the update to finish on my car and there's MarcG's fully produced video demo of 7.0 on his version of "the streets of San Francisco". Damn, he was on top of it and showing us!

Seriously. I'm up at 3:15 AM on 10/15 in my boxers waiting for the update to finish on my car and there's MarcG's fully produced video demo of 7.0 on his version of "the streets of San Francisco". Damn, he was on top of it and showing us!

And as excellent as that was, and as much as we all appreciated it, that was small potatoes in comparison to what MarcG did when we were all waiting for our P85Ds.

For anyone unaware, MarcG was taking delivery before anyone else here, by at least a week, if I recall correctly. He brought a GoPro to his delivery, and recorded the entire walk-thru for us! At that time many of us were chomping at the bit for information about our cars, so doing that was really amazing, and gave a bunch of people a lot more information about our cars a lot sooner than we otherwise would have had it.

And as excellent as that was, and as much as we all appreciated it, that was small potatoes in comparison to what MarcG did when we were all waiting for our P85Ds.

For anyone unaware, MarcG was taking delivery before anyone else here, by at least a week, if I recall correctly. He brought a GoPro to his delivery, and recorded the entire walk-thru for us! At that time many of us were chomping at the bit for information about our cars, so doing that was really amazing, and gave a bunch of people a lot more information about our cars a lot sooner than we otherwise would have had it.

That was so great I had 7 of these shirts made and wear one every day

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-17%20at%209.00.36%20PM.png

Marc is our West Coast version of Bjorn.

Haha don't I wish... no, I'm not nearly as committed to making videos as Bjorn is!! I've watched hours of his and mine don't even come close. Looking forward to his videos of AP when he gets his X! (or gets his hand on an AP-enabled S in the near future).

- - - Updated - - -

I think it was only a couple of days, but that was the least I could do after "skipping line" and being honored with the first P85D delivery on the forum! I was very well aware that others who had ordered before me got theirs later, so it was somewhat of a payback to share my delivery experience with everyone else. That's why I love this forum! Expressed a little better here: 1 year, 1000 posts, 20000 miles

- - - Updated - - -

That was so great I had 7 of these shirts made and wear one every day

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-17%20at%209.00.36%20PM.png

LOL you guys crack me up!! :biggrin:

My girlfriend's Model S has auto-park but mine doesn't, so I was unable to help her try it out. She has been afraid to try it on her own (BTW, she is a stereotypical Chinese driver) but was convinced to do it today at the newly activated Dublin supercharger island at their service center. She got it to work on the Very First Try!

What's wrong with you guys!!?? :smile: