Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Parallel Parking feature working for anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone that is having problems with auto-park have a clear bra on there front bumper that is covering up the right front parking sensor? Maybe that is why mine is not working?

Re-phrasing my earlier question: Has anyone with a clear bra covering the sensors got the auto park to work?
I would hate to cutout the sensor covering and it still not work.

Last edited:
Yes. It's worked every time I've tried it. At least 5 times. Xpel over front and rear sensors, not cut out for sure.

I don't really know if there is any trick to it, but here is what i do:

Drive close enough so the front sensor shows yellow, usually about 3 feet
Drive slow, usually under 10 mph, the one time I really paid attention to speed, I was at 5
Need to pull well past front vehicle before the P shows. Like over half the car in some cases.
Always has been a proper curb

Re-phasing my earlier question: Has anyone with a clear bra covering the sensors got the auto park to work?

Re-phasing my earlier question: Has anyone with a clear bra covering the sensors got the auto park to work?

It sounds, based on Ingineer's post, that you may want to cut coating away from the sensors anyway, without regard for whether or not you can get Auto Park working with the sensors covered or not. Assuming his information is correct, and based on his history of posting here I have every reason to believe that it is, you are unnecessarily reducing the sensitivity of your sensors at all times by covering them. I don't know what the downside to uncovering them may be, but I imagine if it were done well any downside would be minimal, and the increased efficacy of the sensors would far outweigh it.

Just offering some admittedly completely unsolicited advice. I'll butt out, now.

- - - Updated - - -

Took me a few tries, but finally got it to work. Some spots don't work for some reason.

Autopark - Teslas parallel parking software v7 in action - YouTube

Great video, Tuan! That's the first one I've seen that combines the view from inside the car with the view from the street. Nicely done!

Of course it's possible that the sensors will work ok with the coating. The physics vary, but it's impossible to predict. Seems to me like it's an easy job, especially if you only do the 4 side senors that really need the range, and there is no downside, so why not?

I can't get it to work in my home town Riverton Wyoming on main street, I think it's the solid lines for the parking area. Worked great in Vegas this weekend. It's so fast it's a bit scary. 30sec each time I tried it. How fast are the other cars that can parallel park?

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, first post here but have tried now about 10 times, all in spots that our other two cars would have easily have picked up and parked in. Been close the cars, breezed by slowly with spots surely big enough but not too big, nice curb, pulled up different lengths multiple times etc. All times it is fail, no option to self park after putting it in reverse.

The auto parking is a bit fail in my opinion at this point. The highway use of auto-steering seems good enough at least. My final opinion is one that i've heard similar which is the toy car with generic car drawings in front/side of if all the time is of little value and the speed itself it a bit too high for those of us that are tall. Needs some UI tweaks and options for sure, and parking needs improved (especially since this car has more sensors but our others with less whip it in parking).

-T

I miss the old speedometer setup. The toy car with other toy cars randomly pop up offer no value to me, or provide information I actually need. I wish this could be user configurable as 50% of the display screen is completely useless to me now. Blind spot awareness is also a massive fail.

trip planner: fail
blind spot awareness indicators: fail
P85D 691 HP: fail - max HP only available for 1.5 seconds from a dead stop
toy car/spy hunter graphics: fail
autopark: fail

Why are are so many people happy with these mediocre things about the car? Let's all be real here, Tesla is over promising and under delivering and I'm getting tired of it.

I miss the old speedometer setup. The toy car with other toy cars randomly pop up offer no value to me, or provide information I actually need. I wish this could be user configurable as 50% of the display screen is completely useless to me now. Blind spot awareness is also a massive fail.

Why are are so many people happy with these mediocre things about the car? Let's all be real here, Tesla is over promising and under delivering and I'm getting tired of it.

Sorry, we'll try harder to be more upset with our space cars.

Why? Because of one or some the following:
1. There is no viable alternate BEV with the same range and super charging infrastructure, yet.
2. Some of us have progress from angry, denial, into acceptance of the limitation and hoping for 3.
3. Some of the limitations can hopefully be improved overtime (e.g. software updates of trip planner, navigation)
4. Some of the limitations are not as important to some owners, or does not apply (e.g. not everyone has a P85D)

For me, Tesla has corrected these deficiencies:
1. TPMS display
2. 3G disconnection
3. AP is now in public Beta use, and can still be improved.

I am still waiting for further AP enhancement and UI restoration / improvement:
1. Stall parking and home garage parking.
2. Time, Date, and temperature restore at the IC.
3. 360 view (may need additional cameras)

I discovered today that autopark works sometimes when you didn't get the P. I identified a parallel parking spot and jammed to a stop. I didn't have any indicators. I put the car in reverse and the indicator appeared and the button was on the 17" screen and it parked flawlessly.

Because I LOVE this car and everything about it. Other than just the pure joy in driving it, the best thing about it is most things can be fixed OTA without buying a whole new car.

It took me several times to get AutoPark to work, but it now it works flawlessly. There are several posts above which describe what you need to do - and where you need to look on the car's dashboard. Having read through these and practiced a bit, I now have engaged the AutoPark successfully, and repeatedly. There is some technique involved, but once you get the "feel" its rather wonderful.

Why? Because of one or some the following:
1. There is no viable alternate BEV with the same range and super charging infrastructure, yet.
2. Some of us have progress from angry, denial, into acceptance of the limitation and hoping for 3.
3. Some of the limitations can hopefully be improved overtime (e.g. software updates of trip planner, navigation)
4. Some of the limitations are not as important to some owners, or does not apply (e.g. not everyone has a P85D)

For me, Tesla has corrected these deficiencies:
1. TPMS display
2. 3G disconnection
3. AP is now in public Beta use, and can still be improved.

I am still waiting for further AP enhancement and UI restoration / improvement:
1. Stall parking and home garage parking.
2. Time, Date, and temperature restore at the IC.
3. 360 view (may need additional cameras)

Totally agree with you, we are all very picky owners it seems. There were some blantant features missing but at least a few are there now like TPMS, parking, etc. The car is amazing overall and what makes it special primarily is its all electric drivetrain and range. The software is pretty good for what it is. We forgive things like interface dislikes/glitches/bugs, and missing "oh sh$t" handles, build quality issues, etc. easier it seems.

Now given that, (a little off topic here now), if MB/BMW/Audi/etc come out with a comparable range car, comparable prices, and at the more plush/solid quality they are usually at, then I'd likely switch over - as long as the flexible tech is there too. Sure love having a mostly American head of the pack car though for now :)

I've gotten better with practice. The trick is to drive the car "into the slot" at the right speed at the right distance away from the cars and curb so the sensors are able to sweep the data they need on the forward pass.

Still, I wish the front edge buffer on the first turn was not 12-16 inches. It always gets so close and makes me super nervous. I tried it again today and it did back me into a really tight spot with 12 inches to the rear and 24 inches in front. Unfortunately, there was no auto-get-out function so I had to make 3 maneuvers to get it out within my comfort tolerance.

- K

I've gotten better with practice. The trick is to drive the car "into the slot" at the right speed at the right distance away from the cars and curb so the sensors are able to sweep the data they need on the forward pass.

Still, I wish the front edge buffer on the first turn was not 12-16 inches. It always gets so close and makes me super nervous. I tried it again today and it did back me into a really tight spot with 12 inches to the rear and 24 inches in front. Unfortunately, there was no auto-get-out function so I had to make 3 maneuvers to get it out within my comfort tolerance.

- K

The fact there is even a thread with so many complaints, and people having to break this down into a science how to get it to work- is proof it is flawed and needs to be immediately addressed by Tesla.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. The sensors do seem a bit laggy sensing cars in the blindspot sometimes. I don't know if this is the Xpel or me or normal...

Of course it's possible that the sensors will work ok with the coating. The physics vary, but it's impossible to predict. Seems to me like it's an easy job, especially if you only do the 4 side senors that really need the range, and there is no downside, so why not?

Why are so many people happy with their Tesla? Maybe because: Tesla is a new car company that has designed and produced a truly revolutionary and amazing car that is a blast to drive, the first successful new car company since 1925 (!), the first company to build a long range high quality EV, first to build an extensive high speed DC charging network that is constantly expanding, first to do Internet-enabled OTA updates, first to make an EV that offers a vastly superior driving experience compared to ICEs, first to sell directly and cut out the universally hated dealership "experience", first to use a huge touchscreen interface, first to mass produce an amazingly sophisticated high capacity lithium ion automotive battery pack with temperature management, first to introduce an Autopilot function that will rapidly learn and improve based on the experience of the entire fleet of cars on the road (I think many fail to grasp how amazing that is), I could go on and on and on and on.
But some people obsess about some modest UI changes as if was the END OF THE WORLD AND THEIR TESLA IS NOW A WORTHLESS PIECE OF JUNK.
What I am getting "tired of" is the incessant complaining about a minor UI change. It's software and it will continue to evolve and change and yes IMPROVE with time. In the meantime, the car is still AWESOME. Yes, it still is. If some people can't see that, I suggest that they have lost their perspective on what really matters in this transportation revolution that Tesla owners are so fortunate to be part of.
To some, this post may come across as a tirade. In fact it is a restrained reaction to the tirades of some who have been repeatedly posting that the V7 UI is a catastrophe of epic proportions. It is not. It is a minor bump in the road. Some people like it, some don't. In the meantime, Tesla continues to sell more and more cars and push forward.

A. The other "toy" cars popping up are not random.
2. Blind spot awareness has MASSIVELY improved from 6.2
III. Trip planner hasn't gotten worse from 6.2 to 7.0
d. I don't know how much power the P85D actually produces, and honestly I don't care. But based on your anecdotal evidence that it produces 691hp (which based on every other thread here, it does not) even for "1.5 seconds" then Tesla met it's advertising spec. Do you think an ICE produces 700HP during it's whole RPM band? lol

Me thinks troll is trolling and getting offended when other users call him a troll to appear as if not really a troll...