Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Park Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The majority of Auto Park fails involve auto park NOT seeing an available spot and/or thinking there is a spot when you happen to slow down near an area that may look like a car park to the vehicle... They do NOT involved 'sudden acceleration'.

Sudden acceleration is always - always the result of someone or something hitting the accelerator by mistake.
In the case of the infamous Toyota sudden acceleration incidents, (for example) it was ones foot pushing on the detached floor mats forcing them against the accelerator, which is why floor mats are now attached to the floor with snap fittings.
Every investigation into sudden accelerations results in similar findings..i.e. driver error or driver unaware they were hitting the
accelerator, rather than the brake.

When in AutoPark mode, Tesla does NOT floor the accelerator. In fact, if anything, it moves very very very slowly into each position.
Same as in Summon's mode. In all such circumstances, drivers are required to always be prepared to take control of the vehicle (and because the vehicle is moving so slowly, if one loses confidence it the car's ability to park, they can easily hit the brake (not the accelerator) to stop the process, and park it themselves.

Drivers need to take responsibility for their actions. When these kinds of incidents occur, invariably the driver blames the car.
The car is a dumb machine that does what the driver tells it to do. If one hits the accelerator/GO pedal, it goes.

Summary: logs are going to show that the driver hit the accelerator (when they wanted to hit the brake) and thus the car accelerated as only a Tesla can do .. and hit whatever was in it's path.
You are wrong since there are a couple documented cases where there was sudden rapid acceleration when people have used summon

This exact thing happened to me and Tesla says Im "at fault". I asked them to produce the logs and they say that its proprietary and would need my lawyer to send a subpoena - tesla accident - Google Drive
Its frustrating to know that its definitely an error in the system but you get the blame.
oh, it hurts to see a nice model 3 is hurt like this. Unfortunately, Tesla is not responsive about autopilot / autopark incidents, I'm not sure there is much to do. In this case, it looks like it failed to detect the concrete.

I use Auto Park daily and I've never had a problem beyond the "Auto Park paused" for no obvious reason - just hit "resume".

But having said that, my head is on a swivel and the brake is covered at all times. It is clearly a driver assist, not a driver replacement. But for those hurt I do feel your pain.

Reactions: jrad6515 and PrGrPa
This exact thing happened to me and Tesla says Im "at fault". I asked them to produce the logs and they say that its proprietary and would need my lawyer to send a subpoena - tesla accident - Google Drive
Its frustrating to know that its definitely an error in the system but you get the blame.
Are these pictures taken in the spot where the incident happened (in the garage next to concrete pillars)? If so, perpendicular parking is meant for the spots between two cars. Manual mentions that as well.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
That is a ton of damage. Sad to see on a relatively new car.
I don't understand how so much damage was done. Nicki stops summon with even a small garage lip (I had to grind it down some). She refuses to do anything that takes her within 4-6 inches of any object. That being said, she is blind to the side between the sensors. I have tested this by moving a cardboard box to her blind spot and she will push it until a sensor sees it. But this amount of damage looks more like unintended acceleration which is an whole different subject.

Wow, that's a lot more damage than I thought possible with autopark. Were you in the car when that happened? Obviously yes, if AutoParking but what were you doing while it mangled your car? At the very least, once it sheared the mirror, why did braking not occur?

Holy moly! That's indicative of a lot more than an error in the system. I'm nervous with AutoPark but this has to have been done at a greater speed and over a lot longer than I'd tolerate in a parking garage.

Wow, that's a lot more damage than I thought possible with autopark. Were you in the car when that happened? Obviously yes, if AutoParking but what were you doing while it mangled your car? At the very least, once it sheared the mirror, why did braking not occur?

Holy moly! That's indicative of a lot more than an error in the system. I'm nervous with AutoPark but this has to have been done at a greater speed and over a lot longer than I'd tolerate in a parking garage.
(speculating):
That looks like the kind of damage you'd do by scraping the side of the car against a concrete pillar at 1mph, which is how fast Autopark tends to move.

They've increased the amount of torque both Autopark and Summon are allowed to use to maintain 1mph because of the previous user complaints that Autopark/Summon can't overcome garage lips and other road imperfections. I guess this is the downside of it.

It takes about 2 seconds to move 3 feet at 1mph…. So a lot of damage can theoretically be done in not too much of time.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
It takes about 2 seconds to move 3 feet at 1mph…. So a lot of damage can theoretically be done in not too much of time.
SnailTurtle.jpg

(speculating):
That looks like the kind of damage you'd do by scraping the side of the car against a concrete pillar at 1mph, which is how fast Autopark tends to move.

They've increased the amount of torque both Autopark and Summon are allowed to use to maintain 1mph because of the previous user complaints that Autopark/Summon can't overcome garage lips and other road imperfections. I guess this is the downside of it.

Its clear the car scraped against the pillar. There are photos showing blue car paint scrapes on the pillar but why did Autopark KEEP GOING. Clearly some ultrasonic sensors were mashed in the fender/bumper as well as the driver's side mirror and the entire driver's side door. Something should've acted to stop that a lot sooner than after the fender was crushed.

Its clear the car scraped against the pillar. There are photos showing blue car paint scrapes on the pillar but why did Autopark KEEP GOING. Clearly some ultrasonic sensors were mashed in the fender/bumper as well as the driver's side mirror and the entire driver's side door. Something should've acted to stop that a lot sooner than after the fender was crushed.

I agree. Ultrasonics don't seem very good at reading concrete surfaces at extremely close range. All I was saying was that it used to cancel Autopark/Summon due to excessive torque needed (e.g. trying to drive into a pillar) but they loosened up on that. But that's not a great heuristic either.

I would imagine you could also use the accelerometer to detect an impact. That would feel quite different compared to going over a hump.

I have a new Tesla model S, loaded. In the middle of the day, clear light, no hill, normal straight street, I went to parallel park today. The autopark button came on. I hit it. The car backed up, and when the wheel turned to pull into the space, the front passenger hit the car in front! It left a scrape on the bumper, and the lower section under the bumper. The guy in front was in his car- he was very gracious as I apologized. He had a super old, pretty dented up Toyota, and he didn't seem to mind that there might be a dent! He pulled away.
I called Tesla. They pulled the log. Saw nothing. Said why I hadn't stopped the car. I said that was impossible, as we are talked about inches, and how could I possibly see it was a half inch too close. Said they would not pay for any damage.
This is terrible service on their part. I absolutely did nothing wrong.
I plan to protest up the ladder. Will see what happens.

I have a new Tesla model S, loaded. In the middle of the day, clear light, no hill, normal straight street, I went to parallel park today. The autopark button came on. I hit it. The car backed up, and when the wheel turned to pull into the space, the front passenger hit the car in front! It left a scrape on the bumper, and the lower section under the bumper. The guy in front was in his car- he was very gracious as I apologized. He had a super old, pretty dented up Toyota, and he didn't seem to mind that there might be a dent! He pulled away.
I called Tesla. They pulled the log. Saw nothing. Said why I hadn't stopped the car. I said that was impossible, as we are talked about inches, and how could I possibly see it was a half inch too close. Said they would not pay for any damage.
This is terrible service on their part. I absolutely did nothing wrong.
I plan to protest up the ladder. Will see what happens.

Broken record. It's why I haven't used auto park I years on my s.

I hear sometimes people crash their cars when they drive. I'm shocked that you take your car on the road. I would think you would be more cautious.

I know you're trying to make a pithy reply there but they're not the same thing....not even remotely.

When I'm driving, I'm in control. Even when I'm using auto pilot, I'm still watching and can abort if I need to on a moments notice.

Auto park navigates within inches of other cars bumpers where you CAN'T see or judge if it's 3 inches or 0 inches.

Back to your point. Most of those crashes are due to stupid human decisions. In my opinion, letting a car auto park itself when that system repeatedly hits other cars is a stupid human decision. I reduce my chances of having my car contact other cars by *choosing* not to use it.

I know you're trying to make a pithy reply there but they're not the same thing....not even remotely.

When I'm driving, I'm in control. Even when I'm using auto pilot, I'm still watching and can abort if I need to on a moments notice.

Auto park navigates within inches of other cars bumpers where you CAN'T see or judge if it's 3 inches or 0 inches.

Back to your point. Most of those crashes are due to stupid human decisions. In my opinion, letting a car auto park itself when that system repeatedly hits other cars is a stupid human decision. I reduce my chances of having my car contact other cars by *choosing* not to use it.
You make two basic errors. First, like most people, you imagine you are a better driver than you are so you evaluate your risk poorly. Second, it's obvious from looking around these forums that people crash their cars (or have them crashed into) far more often than auto-park messes up, and with far greater damage. Now whether that is due to how often people drive vs. how often they auto-park I don't know, but it's quite obvious that auto-park failures are rare. If you don't auto-park due to the risk of damaging the car, then you wouldn't drive either, or at least you would do so only when strictly necessary.

• Disagree
Reactions: SucreTease
I’ve found auto park surprisingly effective. Though I had one instance where it identified a perpendicular space and attempted to back into a silver car that was already in the ‘space’. I stopped it once I saw it was heading for not a space.

My only other problem is that I find it is a little faster than I’d like at swinging into parallel spaces. I keep an eye on the sensor display, outside, and listen to the increasing frantic chiming. So far it’s a better parallel parker than me.