TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Auto Park Accident

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Landsurfer, Feb 7, 2017.

1. byan1232

byan1232 Member

Any update on this? I’m curious to see what Tesla had to say regarding your accident.

2. llavalle

llavalle Member

Somewhere around Montreal in Quebec, Canada
    Mine? Nothing. They basically said I was on my own and wouldn't cover anything. They gave me the number of the authorized body shop in my area and sent me away.

Decided to just use touch-up paint and leave everything as-is...

3. David.85D

David.85D Member

I see a market for stickers to apply over these scrapes “The autopark AI did it” or maybe “not so intelligent AI” or ?

• Funny x 1
  4. llavalle

llavalle Member

Somewhere around Montreal in Quebec, Canada
    Hehe! I'm not a sticker guy... but that's a neat idea!

5. ThreeFan89

ThreeFan89 New Member

Wish I would have come across this thread months ago. I had a similar situation as op has described. It's exactly like the dash cam video that was posted. Accelerated back (did not have foot near accelerator). Car didn't stop or beep that I was approaching another. $2500-$3000 in damages from a simple parallel park...

Attached Files:

6. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ In loving memory of Version 8

I use it once in a while and I'm always scared. Never had it hit anything so far.

7. dipper

dipper Member

Will not use auto park or summon because of Beta for Life attitude Tesla takes. Even autopilot I am scare of sometimes. Just be ready in case Tesla screw up there too.

With so many AI problems.... wonder if Elon Musk is sharing his smoke in marketing meetings too.... with all the promise of FSD across the country, auto park (find and park to open space) and auto summon by app.

I will buy an FSD car from a company in the future if their wallet and lawyers stand behind it. Right now, I just see my Tesla as a toy, not a tool I trust in my wife and kids’ hands.

8. gabreigns

gabreigns Member

Sorry to hear OP. Wow that is definitely something to keep in mind. Also the video posted was informative.

9. TripleTrucker

TripleTrucker Member

Tried it in perpendicular spots twice and it got so close to car in spot next to it that I bailed out!
    I'm tempted to set up some "soft" fake cars in a lot and try it again.

10. T.R.T.e.s.l.a.

Wow!
    I'm a recent (since mid November) Tesla MS owner and only tried to use auto park once, and exactly the same thing happened to me.
    The car just accelerated itself FAST while backing into a garage pillar!
    Fortunately i was able to hit the brakes and the car stopped just a few cms (5 to 3 cms) from a cement pillar that would have simply destroyed the back of the car. :eek:
    I was like WTF!!!
    If Tesla isn't backing up it's customers and it's auto park feature when something like this occurs, they should at least just disable auto park for good. :mad:

• Informative x 1
  11. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

I think the manual says something about cement pillars not necessarily being recognized by the car. I quoted the manual in a thread concerning this issue. It might have been this thread. I know you shouldn’t have to read the owner’s manual about stuff like that, but Tesla probably thinks you should.

12. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

• Informative x 1
  13. T.R.T.e.s.l.a.

Hmmm... yeah, i didn't really read the manual.

14. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

I read it, but I don't think I would have remembered this detail without looking it up again. I just new from this forum to be very cautious with any automatic driving features.

15. T.R.T.e.s.l.a.

Yes, no one would normally remember that detail, unless you had just finished reading it, or if you went through a big scare (or worse...) like i did.

16. Agassi

Agassi Member

17. MS4S

MS4S New Member

New to the group, hello. I’ve been using summon mode pretty much daily due to a narrow garage spot. Yesterday I had my S do a rando sharp left into a shelving unit (thankfully not into the other vehicle parked in the garage).

18. ahd13

ahd13 Member

19. ahd13

ahd13 Member

So I realize this post is from 2017, but this exact thing happened to me yesterday, over 2 years later...

• Informative x 2
  20. Struja

Struja "Fanboy"

I have used the autopark on occasion (primarily for parallel parking), as I find I have (in the past) run into issues with getting too close to the curb and damaging my wheels. I've probably used it to reverse into a spot between two parked cars less than 3 times but it makes me very nervous.

I totally understand the manual warning with regards to pillars and walls though. Often times they create problems with depth perception. I messed up my last car in parking garage with a concrete portion of wall that was sticking out but painted in a way that camoflaged it from my sight lines. My guess is, if I couldn't make it out with my eyes, autopark might have had some problems as well.