Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Park Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine? Nothing. They basically said I was on my own and wouldn't cover anything. They gave me the number of the authorized body shop in my area and sent me away.

Decided to just use touch-up paint and leave everything as-is...

I see a market for stickers to apply over these scrapes “The autopark AI did it” or maybe “not so intelligent AI” or ?

• Funny
Reactions: PrGrPa
Wish I would have come across this thread months ago. I had a similar situation as op has described. It's exactly like the dash cam video that was posted. Accelerated back (did not have foot near accelerator). Car didn't stop or beep that I was approaching another. $2500-$3000 in damages from a simple parallel park...

Attachments

• hhI+scAjRv+x7LFmfSrWTA.jpg
    hhI+scAjRv+x7LFmfSrWTA.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 124
Will not use auto park or summon because of Beta for Life attitude Tesla takes. Even autopilot I am scare of sometimes. Just be ready in case Tesla screw up there too.

With so many AI problems.... wonder if Elon Musk is sharing his smoke in marketing meetings too.... with all the promise of FSD across the country, auto park (find and park to open space) and auto summon by app.

I will buy an FSD car from a company in the future if their wallet and lawyers stand behind it. Right now, I just see my Tesla as a toy, not a tool I trust in my wife and kids’ hands.

Last week, my wife had an accident while engaging auto park to back into a parking spot in a parking structure. We had been using auto park since its inception in 2015. It had been working well for us. We loved the convenience it gave us. But our luck ended last Thursday. It started well. It was in a company park structure. My wife found a spot, and passed it. Tesla detected to spot and showed the "P" sign. My wife engaged reverse gear, and press start to engage auto park. Tesla started backing toward the spot, but suddenly accelerated quickly, and before my wife could react on it, it smashed right into a parked car on the left rear. Tesla had a big dent at the bumper, with rear back light broken. The other car had even a bigger dent. From the damages, the force was pretty big. To me, it looked like there was a glitch in the sensor or software that had caused this. This need to be taken seriously.

I called Tesla road side assistance who directed me to a service center nearby. The service manager told me that Auto park was a "Test Feature", and you as the driver were responsible for the damages. Well, I asked him whether they were interested to take a look and download some data from the Vehicle to analyze the cause of the malfunction. The service manager said some one would call me. Well 5 days later today, still no one called.

I had been a big fan of Tesla, and had tried every feature on my Model S, especially auto pilot and auto park. This little incident poured some cold water on me. Frankly, I am quite disappointed, especially the way Tesla handle the accident. I am an engineer myself, and understand software/hardware glitch happens. When an accident happens, it is important to get first hand data, so that we can improve upon. 5 days passed, no action was taken. Some useful data might already be overwritten. We, as Tesla owner, supported Elon's vision, by contributing money and time, and being the guinea pig. I can't understand why Tesla would give up a perfect chance to investigate and improve on it.

Wish I would have come across this thread months ago. I had a similar situation as op has described. It's exactly like the dash cam video that was posted. Accelerated back (did not have foot near accelerator). Car didn't stop or beep that I was approaching another. $2500-$3000 in damages from a simple parallel park...

Wow!
I'm a recent (since mid November) Tesla MS owner and only tried to use auto park once, and exactly the same thing happened to me.
The car just accelerated itself FAST while backing into a garage pillar!
Fortunately i was able to hit the brakes and the car stopped just a few cms (5 to 3 cms) from a cement pillar that would have simply destroyed the back of the car. :eek:
I was like WTF!!!
If Tesla isn't backing up it's customers and it's auto park feature when something like this occurs, they should at least just disable auto park for good. :mad:

• Informative
Reactions: woes
Wow!
I'm a recent (since mid November) Tesla MS owner and only tried to use auto park once, and exactly the same thing happened to me.
The car just accelerated itself FAST while backing into a garage pillar!
Fortunately i was able to hit the brakes and the car stopped just a few cms (5 to 3 cms) from a cement pillar that would have simply destroyed the back of the car. :eek:
I was like WTF!!!
If Tesla isn't backing up it's customers and it's auto park feature when something like this occurs, they should at least just disable auto park for good. :mad:
I think the manual says something about cement pillars not necessarily being recognized by the car. I quoted the manual in a thread concerning this issue. It might have been this thread. I know you shouldn’t have to read the owner’s manual about stuff like that, but Tesla probably thinks you should.

New to the group, hello. I’ve been using summon mode pretty much daily due to a narrow garage spot. Yesterday I had my S do a rando sharp left into a shelving unit (thankfully not into the other vehicle parked in the garage).

Last week, my wife had an accident while engaging auto park to back into a parking spot in a parking structure. We had been using auto park since its inception in 2015. It had been working well for us. We loved the convenience it gave us. But our luck ended last Thursday. It started well. It was in a company park structure. My wife found a spot, and passed it. Tesla detected to spot and showed the "P" sign. My wife engaged reverse gear, and press start to engage auto park. Tesla started backing toward the spot, but suddenly accelerated quickly, and before my wife could react on it, it smashed right into a parked car on the left rear. Tesla had a big dent at the bumper, with rear back light broken. The other car had even a bigger dent. From the damages, the force was pretty big. To me, it looked like there was a glitch in the sensor or software that had caused this. This need to be taken seriously.

I called Tesla road side assistance who directed me to a service center nearby. The service manager told me that Auto park was a "Test Feature", and you as the driver were responsible for the damages. Well, I asked him whether they were interested to take a look and download some data from the Vehicle to analyze the cause of the malfunction. The service manager said some one would call me. Well 5 days later today, still no one called.

I had been a big fan of Tesla, and had tried every feature on my Model S, especially auto pilot and auto park. This little incident poured some cold water on me. Frankly, I am quite disappointed, especially the way Tesla handle the accident. I am an engineer myself, and understand software/hardware glitch happens. When an accident happens, it is important to get first hand data, so that we can improve upon. 5 days passed, no action was taken. Some useful data might already be overwritten. We, as Tesla owner, supported Elon's vision, by contributing money and time, and being the guinea pig. I can't understand why Tesla would give up a perfect chance to investigate and improve on it.

So I realize this post is from 2017, but this exact thing happened to me yesterday, over 2 years later...

I have used the autopark on occasion (primarily for parallel parking), as I find I have (in the past) run into issues with getting too close to the curb and damaging my wheels. I've probably used it to reverse into a spot between two parked cars less than 3 times but it makes me very nervous.

I totally understand the manual warning with regards to pillars and walls though. Often times they create problems with depth perception. I messed up my last car in parking garage with a concrete portion of wall that was sticking out but painted in a way that camoflaged it from my sight lines. My guess is, if I couldn't make it out with my eyes, autopark might have had some problems as well.