Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto park curbed my rims!

Dude85D

Nov 3, 2015
LA/OC
Aaaaahhhhh....my fault for trusting it on my first try. Be careful! This never happened on my S or 3 before.

I really need to invest in rim touch up once that’s available.

I have wheel band but don’t like the way they look. I may have to suck it up and use them.

Attachments

• E8EE21AC-125D-4301-85CD-E3A5C3C9E9AE.jpeg
    E8EE21AC-125D-4301-85CD-E3A5C3C9E9AE.jpeg
    460.7 KB · Views: 167

Klau2

Mar 25, 2019
Boyds, MD
man, that sucks. The S was bad since it's so wide. Thought the Y will be better. Definitely won't be using the auto park feature. I can parallel park myself pretty well.

Aarons12

Enjoying my Pearl White LR AWD with inductions
Jan 24, 2020
long island, NY
i got mine (myself, no FSD) the second day. fortunately it wasn't that bad and a little sanding and black paint took care of it. but that's all it took.

frankvb

Supporting Member
Feb 29, 2020
San Diego, CA
if it's Tesla's faulty software autoparking - wouldn't the wheel be covered under warranty?
Fair question - we're almost getting to the point where if the FSD causes an accident, who is responsible. I'm pretty sure all the legal terms will put the liability on the driver. At least for now until full level 4/5 FSD is rolled out.

• Informative
Reactions: firerock

vinny84

Aug 6, 2018
Central, NJ
Aaaaahhhhh....my fault for trusting it on my first try. Be careful! This never happened on my S or 3 before.

I have wheel band but don’t like the way they look. I may have to suck it up and use them.

I had a similar experience with my 22’’ MX wheels. Got it fixed at a local wheel shop for $140/wheel. Fix was amazing. Like it never happened

diegoC

Mar 3, 2020
Corona, California
I’m sorry to hear about the damage to your rims @Dude85D. But I’m glad to hear that we have options for rim gash repair locally like Dr. Wheel. I have several experiences like yours in the past and I know how it feels.
DD4312AB-E213-462F-BE10-9237F4E7AB50.jpeg AC51E1DD-5302-499B-8D06-54D408F60DFE.jpeg
That is why I’ve invested in rim protectors like I have on now for my Uberturbines. Not sure how they will hold against the curb, but I am not looking forward to it if I can help it.
199E82AE-7E69-4095-AB1C-E2B68D52B768.jpeg
68204772-1E0F-4D7D-9107-4C22BDA9A326.jpeg

linux-works

Dec 23, 2019
mtn view, ca
it sucks that such a costly repair is needed due to faulty engineering by the oem (that's tesla).

yes, I blame them for continuing this poor design. lots of cars seem to be able to find tires/wheels that don't stick out like this.

I really wonder how much dissent there was inside tesla; surely some people saw this during alpha test and complained. why were they ignored? this is the part of tesla that turns me off. obvious stuff that is not rocket science, and they continue to get it wrong.

Reactions: qdeathstar

NY_Rob

Feb 13, 2020
Long Island
it sucks that such a costly repair is needed due to faulty engineering by the oem (that's tesla).

yes, I blame them for continuing this poor design. lots of cars seem to be able to find tires/wheels that don't stick out like this.
Yes. redesign the rim, or... offer overhead view when in reverse like many less expensive cars already have. I have the overhead view on my lowly $30K 2017 Chevy Bolt and have never curbed the rims in 3+yrs of ownership.

It would require redesigning the side cam housing, but plenty of smart engineers at Tesla would be able to get that done quickly using the same wiring they presently use... or just one down facing cam in each outside mirror housing like the Bolt has... easy peasy!

IIRC, you can set the side view mirrors to tilt down in reverse, so that will help till when/if Tesla ever addresses this $$$ issue.

linux-works

Dec 23, 2019
mtn view, ca
more cams are good; we need more angle coverage and redundancy. I'm all for that and would pay more for such a vehicle.

simple things like how stretched the tire is (or isn't) would also fix it. why make tire installs such a nightmare? what a drag.

I like designs that take the customer into consideration. that take 'simpler service' into the design. to me, that's the diff between a 'just ok' product and one that you rave about and want to tell everyone about.

mathewbeall

Mar 4, 2020
Mission Viejo, California
Man - I did this to MYSELF today.... first time parking against a curb - i guess all my other cars - the wheels haven't stuck out beyond the tire.... so - I just asked Dr. Wheel for a quote :(

Matt

Attachments

• IMG_1858.jpg
    IMG_1858.jpg
    623.1 KB · Views: 109

sling

Mar 23, 2020
Georgia
Can anyone tell me if the default 19" and 20" wheels also stick out past the tires making them easier to be curbed? I can't tell from any pics posted so far.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC