Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto park curbed my rims!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aaaaahhhhh....my fault for trusting it on my first try. Be careful! This never happened on my S or 3 before.

I really need to invest in rim touch up once that’s available.

I have wheel band but don’t like the way they look. I may have to suck it up and use them.

Attachments

• E8EE21AC-125D-4301-85CD-E3A5C3C9E9AE.jpeg
    E8EE21AC-125D-4301-85CD-E3A5C3C9E9AE.jpeg
    460.7 KB · Views: 293
Aaaaahhhhh....my fault for trusting it on my first try. Be careful! This never happened on my S or 3 before.

I have wheel band but don’t like the way they look. I may have to suck it up and use them.

I had a similar experience with my 22’’ MX wheels. Got it fixed at a local wheel shop for $140/wheel. Fix was amazing. Like it never happened

I’m sorry to hear about the damage to your rims @Dude85D. But I’m glad to hear that we have options for rim gash repair locally like Dr. Wheel. I have several experiences like yours in the past and I know how it feels.
DD4312AB-E213-462F-BE10-9237F4E7AB50.jpeg AC51E1DD-5302-499B-8D06-54D408F60DFE.jpeg
That is why I’ve invested in rim protectors like I have on now for my Uberturbines. Not sure how they will hold against the curb, but I am not looking forward to it if I can help it.
199E82AE-7E69-4095-AB1C-E2B68D52B768.jpeg
68204772-1E0F-4D7D-9107-4C22BDA9A326.jpeg

it sucks that such a costly repair is needed due to faulty engineering by the oem (that's tesla).

yes, I blame them for continuing this poor design. lots of cars seem to be able to find tires/wheels that don't stick out like this.

I really wonder how much dissent there was inside tesla; surely some people saw this during alpha test and complained. why were they ignored? this is the part of tesla that turns me off. obvious stuff that is not rocket science, and they continue to get it wrong.

Reactions: qdeathstar
it sucks that such a costly repair is needed due to faulty engineering by the oem (that's tesla).

yes, I blame them for continuing this poor design. lots of cars seem to be able to find tires/wheels that don't stick out like this.
Yes. redesign the rim, or... offer overhead view when in reverse like many less expensive cars already have. I have the overhead view on my lowly $30K 2017 Chevy Bolt and have never curbed the rims in 3+yrs of ownership.

It would require redesigning the side cam housing, but plenty of smart engineers at Tesla would be able to get that done quickly using the same wiring they presently use... or just one down facing cam in each outside mirror housing like the Bolt has... easy peasy!

IIRC, you can set the side view mirrors to tilt down in reverse, so that will help till when/if Tesla ever addresses this $$$ issue.

more cams are good; we need more angle coverage and redundancy. I'm all for that and would pay more for such a vehicle.

simple things like how stretched the tire is (or isn't) would also fix it. why make tire installs such a nightmare? what a drag.

I like designs that take the customer into consideration. that take 'simpler service' into the design. to me, that's the diff between a 'just ok' product and one that you rave about and want to tell everyone about.