Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto park doesn't work, TM says to keep parking myself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
I've put on over 1k miles on my P90D, bought it with 8k miles and I the car still won't park itself, why?

I visited my local service center and they told me I have to keep parking the car myself and it will learn to do it.. That's great but how is it I still don't have it after so many miles and parking jobs, while inventory cars with less miles already park on their own

I had this problem at first until I realised that you have to drive about 2 or 3 meters past the parking spot for Autopark to offer.
Drive slowly past a line of parked cars and look for a P symbol to appear on your dash just past an empty space, stop completely then put the car in reverse, only then will the Autopark screen appear and offer to park.

• Informative
Reactions: AMPd
I had this problem at first until I realised that you have to drive about 2 or 3 meters past the parking spot for Autopark to offer.
Drive slowly past a line of parked cars and look for a P symbol to appear on your dash just past an empty space, stop completely then put the car in reverse, only then will the Autopark screen appear and offer to park.
Yep that's how I do it, I don't get the "P" on the dash

It comes up for me once in a blue moon for parallel parking situations, but often too late as I am already backing into the spot. I think this is a beta feature that may never work well enough to escape beta without better sensors. Kinda like the blind spot detection that has no chance of ever working with the range of the proximity sensors in the bumper being inadequate.

The autopark feature sucks on the teslas IMHO. I just like the OP rarely see the P pop up and sometimes when it does its random, like stopped at a red light. I tried it a few times and honestly its nothing great. I can park quicker myself. Unless your very bad at parking, its nothing more than a novelty. I would rather they fixed the web browser or something relevant like that.

Wow, this is odd to me. It works GREAT for me, every time. One suggestion is that you may not be driving close enough to the other parked cars for the bumper sensors to "see" them. You have to be really close. Whether I'm doing parallel parking or the perpendicular backing into a stall, i drive slowly past the row of cars (as close to their bumpers as safely possible), proceed PAST the open space i'm targeting and the P pretty much ALWAYS appears... you may not be going past the open space enough, or may have been too far from the row of cars for the little radar sensors to see it.

Or you have the feature turned off in your Driver Assistance Settings screen! :oops:

I LOVE autopark, and find that once you figure out how to make it see the surroundings properly, it works great every time.

I have found that you have to drive pretty close to the cars beside you before it will offer the space. For my car, if I don't see the yellow highlights on the side of the car in my dash display warning about nearby objects to the side as I drive down the parking isle then it for sure will never put up the "P" to offer auto parking. This sucks for two reasons: (1) I feel like that means driving closer to the parked cars than I'd really like to and (2) It's impossible to detect a space on the opposite side.

It took me a while to figure this. At first I thought it was mostly non-working because it pretty much never offered auto parking because I was leaving a good 3-4 feet between me and the parked cars and that is too much for it. Also you do have to drive well past the spot before it will offer it as a previous poster pointed out.

At 2,000 miles I rarely see the "P." Although I did see it today, as I went down my driveway... for some reason it thought it would be ok to park into a row of bushes the alight my driveway. There isn't enough room in there between bushes for bike, let alone a car.

This is really odd... maybe they've made big improvements in Autopark since it was released. for me it's really the ONLY driver assistance thing that works perfectly every time. Discussed my technique above. Autopilot has many things that don't work well, summon seems full of problems, same with Auto-high-beams, lane departure... etc. but Autopark is impressive and close to flawless in my car. I love it.

So my car has frequently stopped showing the "P" even when I drive very close to the parked cars. Interestingly when I go into reverse to manually park it usually has the button to start autopark even though it didn't put the "P" up. This morning it was very weird: it displayed the "P", then when I switched to reverse the "P" when away, it didn't offer auto park and I started to manually park. Part way through that I used the brake to fully stop to make a steering change and the auto-park button came up. I pressed it, and it did the rest perfectly.

Never had issues. Both parallel and perpendicular works every time I want it to. Though sometimes, because you have to pull so far ahead when parallel parking, some one else sneaks into the vacant spot.
With the newer versions (x.28.xx), appears that you do not even need to wait for the 'P' to appear for perpendicular parking. When you put the car in reverse, it seems to find the spot and the 'start' button appears.