Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-park fail - manually stopped just in time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
haha I don't know about that, I think human level FSD is right around the corner. 100x better than a human might be decades away, but not doing bonehead things should be pretty easy.
Always bothered me the measure of success for FSD. X times less likely to get in accident or deadly accident. What does that mean, really?
Just because the car can avoid an accident doesn't mean it is capable of driving in many areas. At a busy intersection, a human might get frustrated at an inability to turn left and
take a chance that results in a fender bender. The FSD car would just sit there with the blinker going.... going.... going.... unable to move. Hey but at least it didn't get in an accident.
It would be an unsuccessful performance that is not accounted for, creating an unnecessary traffic jam.

We are so far away, Tesla is going to get sued by the FSD buyers or refund their money with interest.

I had my first failure with auto park. It was working fine but then a car came as it was straightening out and it paused. By the time the car moved it timed out and canceled. I'm guessing there's a timer and if it doesn't complete it before the timer runs out then it just aborts.

I think the best thing to do here is a test and film it? All we need is a truck, model 3, a car, and a safe place to set this up and film. Ill see what I can do this weekend...

This sounds like a disconnect in the human machine interface. If the truck bumper is too high and the ultrasonics are physically incapable of sensing it, then it will not work correctly. As a human if you find failures in this situation, you should avoid this situation.

Patient: It hurts when I do this!
Doctor: Well, don't do that...
;)

This sounds like a disconnect in the human machine interface. If the truck bumper is too high and the ultrasonics are physically incapable of sensing it, then it will not work correctly. As a human if you find failures in this situation, you should avoid this situation.

;)

The problem is Tesla should know this, and inform its users about this situation as opposed to letting people figure it out on a blog forum that 99.999% tesla owners will never see.

I could of easily just let autopilot scrape against another truck. I feel like most people are giving tesla too much credit here...

The problem is Tesla should know this, and inform its users about this situation as opposed to letting people figure it out on a blog forum that 99.999% tesla owners will never see.

I could of easily just let autopilot scrape against another truck. I feel like most people are giving tesla too much credit here...
They do inform users, right in the manual. They don't explicitly call out trucks with high bumpers but they do mention that you need to watch it. Keep in mind this is an assist feature (still requires a human).

I personally don't feel good about this.
First, autopark is not Beta. So, you buy EAP, but can't count on it to do what you're paying for?
It's a crappy product like all their other software products, AEB, AP, EAP, CRAP. They only work in limited laboratory conditions. That's the extent of Tesla's development and QA. Don't buy/use them.

It will only be a matter of time before one or all these products turns into a class action headache for Tesla.

;)
Obviously after you find a case where auto-park does $1000 worth of damage you shouldn't do it again. It would be nice if Tesla would list those cases in the manual so you can save yourself the $1000. People in this thread haven't figured out what conditions cause it to hit curbs. I'm sure Tesla knows and it would be very helpful for them to let owners know so they can avoid expensive repairs.

Reactions: Nathanael
Obviously after you find a case where auto-park does $1000 worth of damage you shouldn't do it again. It would be nice if Tesla would list those cases in the manual so you can save yourself the $1000. People in this thread haven't figured out what conditions cause it to hit curbs. I'm sure Tesla knows and it would be very helpful for them to let owners know so they can avoid expensive repairs.
But how can you enumerate and describe all possible scenarios?

I mean it literally says:

Warning: Autopark's performance depends on the ability of the ultrasonic sensors to determine the vehicle's proximity to curbs, objects, and other vehicles.

But how can you enumerate and describe all possible scenarios?

I mean it literally says:

Warning: Autopark's performance depends on the ability of the ultrasonic sensors to determine the vehicle's proximity to curbs, objects, and other vehicles.
So the customer has to be familiar with the limitations of ultrasonic sensors? Even if I was familiar with them I'm sure there are limitations specific to Tesla's implementation. That just doesn't seem realistic for most customers.

So the customer has to be familiar with the limitations of ultrasonic sensors? Even if I was familiar with them I'm sure there are limitations specific to Tesla's implementation. That just doesn't seem realistic for most customers.
They don't have to be familiar at all... they simply have to follow the directions which imply that you need to babysit autopark and make sure it does the correct thing. Tesla was sure to mention that it will not always do the correct thing, it depends on circumstances such as the hardware detecting the obstacles.

see 0:32 seconds

At the very end of this video it also mentions to see the owners manual for limitations.

They don't have to be familiar at all... they simply have to follow the directions which imply that you need to babysit autopark and make sure it does the correct thing. Tesla was sure to mention that it will not always do the correct thing, it depends on circumstances such as the hardware detecting the obstacles.

see 0:32 seconds

At the very end of this video it also mentions to see the owners manual for limitations.
The problem is when parallel parking we're talking about inches of distance away from other cars and the curb. I don't think I would have time to react. I think a lot of people will try to use it to park behind a truck without realizing that the sensors can't see truck bumpers. Also, I'm still not clear what type of curbs the system can see. My guess would be that it can't see low curbs but it would be nice for them to provide guidance.

Reactions: R.S