Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-park fail - manually stopped just in time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reading this thread leads me to conclude that auto park is a useless feature that I should avoid. That makes it a "gimmick" in marketing terms. I honestly feel a bit duped by this. The time that AP would be most useful to me is when it is tight and difficult for me. The fact that it may hit the front car if it's bumper is too high or hit the curb which will most certainly result in damaging the wheel on my de-aeroed 18"....um, no thanks. I appreciate this thread because while I would have watched AP performance while using it, I will not bother using it now. Quite a shame IMO
Virtually all other available automatic parking systems work this way... they all have very similar limitations.

Here's from the BMW manual on a similar feature:

B3PkJ98.png

Is that the newest version? That is dated April 2018..... Being June, I would think that it had been updated by now...
No idea, since I don't own the car the manual doesn't show up in my account. The support videos come up though
https://www.tesla.com/support/model-3-videos#autopark

It does say in the manual that you are responsible for it.
verWwq0.png

2fhEXpD.png

MpvCnCI.png

The driver has been warned in the manual, and the placement of the ultrasonics is fairly limited, there's not a whole lot that can be done. It's also an assistance feature meant for human supervision, it's not a fully autonomous feature.
With such rigorous operation, it’s no surprise that we should see full self driving “in 6, maybe 9 months”....

Auto park is the feature of EAP I use the least. I spent the $5k for TACC and auto steering. Both of those have worked better than my expectations. I literally use them both every time I drive.
Right, and for TACC and autosteering I see these outstanding issues: emergency braking for shadows of overpass or improper speed limit determination (thread from today https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/navigation-tacc.118484/) and driving into the exit barrier (model X fatality+You You's crash) due to incorrect interpretation of highway markings.
The first two are significant safety issues, I just see how they will scare my wife. And the last one is needless to say- I wish there was more urgency on the Tesla part in fixing it.
I do believe EAP will get there and become more trustworthy, just not sure how much time it will take. But my question is, while it is known to not always work, do I want to let myself get used to it and possibly become complacent. I can't fully count on myself here :)

So yesterday was my second time trying out a parallel auto park.
The first time worked perfectly, so I knew what to expect.

This was your standard parallel park on a quiet residential street. Lots of space between parked cars, quiet road, parking spot on the right side of the model 3.

As the car was backing up into the space and doing its final "counter clockwise" turn to tuck into the spot, I noticed the front right bumper was getting wayyyyy to close to the truck infront of me, and it was not stopping. I manually used the brakes to cancel auto park at the last minute. The front right corner of the bumper was ~20 - 30cm away from bumping a black truck. I got out to look, and there was no way the auto park would of successfully made it, unless it would of stopped and corrected itself, which it honestly felt like it was not going to happen.

I googled to see if anyone else had a problem, and I found a video of pretty much the exact same thing that happened to me, it was also a truck (only difference was it was on the right side of the car)

Has this happened to anyone else? Kind of disappointed that my auto park is only at a 50% success rate.

20 to 30cm seems like plenty of space to me. I usually get within 10cm and have observed Autopark do the same thing. That said, I’m sure I’d have been just as cautious as you were in that particular situation...

Reactions: suwaneedad
Right, and for TACC and autosteering I see these outstanding issues: emergency braking for shadows of overpass or improper speed limit determination (thread from today Navigation & TACC) and driving into the exit barrier (model X fatality+You You's crash) due to incorrect interpretation of highway markings.
The first two are significant safety issues, I just see how they will scare my wife. And the last one is needless to say- I wish there was more urgency on the Tesla part in fixing it.
I do believe EAP will get there and become more trustworthy, just not sure how much time it will take. But my question is, while it is known to not always work, do I want to let myself get used to it and possibly become complacent. I can't fully count on myself here :)
All technologies have their limitations. I was fully aware that EAP isn't perfect when I decided to purchase it. One of the reasons I'm on this forum is to learn what problems other owners drive go through so I can prepare accordingly. I would say get EAP if you're willing to monitor it. If not, then I would say pass. I'm personally very happy with EAP and it's made my life a lot easier.

No one said it doesn't work, it's simply not foolproof (and has never claimed to be). It uses ultrasonics.
I guess I don't know the probability of it doing damage to the car. It sounds like it's too high for me. Scraping the fender is probably $1k damage plus all the hassle of getting it repaired.
If the space is big enough that I can tell that the car is about to hit something and stop it in time I might as well park it myself.
Maybe they can improve it by using the cameras. As a previous commenter said it should be possible to create a 3D view of the space while passing it.

I guess I don't know the probability of it doing damage to the car. It sounds like it's too high for me. Scraping the fender is probably $1k damage plus all the hassle of getting it repaired.
If the space is big enough that I can tell that the car is about to hit something and stop it in time I might as well park it myself.
Maybe they can improve it by using the cameras. As a previous commenter said it should be possible to create a 3D view of the space while passing it.
People damage their cars parking all the time. My advice is to use the auto park but take caution. Auto park should at least be predictable so you will get a sense of when you should use it or not.

I'm sure they'll have autopark through vision at some point but right now it's just a naive implementation relying solely on range finding with the ultrasonics, similar to what other OEMs have had for decades now.

What they should do is overlay the target parking space over the backup camera view, then the driver can confirm it's heading to the right place visually.

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
Good info here, just tried autopark for the first time having my car back in 7 weeks and now that autopilot works. It was almost successful, backed in fine and as it started to pull forward a car passed by and it got cancelled and would not resume. But good info on not using it on high clearance vehicles nearby....excellence PSA

Good info here, just tried autopark for the first time having my car back in 7 weeks and now that autopilot works. It was almost successful, backed in fine and as it started to pull forward a car passed by and it got cancelled and would not resume. But good info on not using it on high clearance vehicles nearby....excellence PSA
That's odd that it wouldn't resume. A car passed by the last time I used it and it paused until the car passed by and then continued on its own. It's supposed to let you click resume if it stops due to something getting in the way.