Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Park Fail - scraped curb

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Beware when using Auto Park (AP) between an auto and a curb. Today I used the feature to park between a car and a curb and apparently it didn’t properly measure the distance between my car and the curb, because my right/passenger side scraped the curb (just a bit on my rear/passenger tire before I hit the breaks).

So, lesson learned - I’ll only use it when parking between two cars.

More Details: I've used the AP feature a handful of times now and when it works (lined up perfectly next to a vehicle to engage AP), it has worked almost flawlessly (sans the one time when it detected the wrong empty parking spot, which was three spots down from the one closest to me). One time I even used it to parallel park and it parked perfectly! And that was against a fence/railing.

I have v9.0, 2019.16.2 (just updated yesterday)

Did you hit a car using auto park?
Do a search and you'll see quite a few cases. The specific one I recall was one where it hit the bumper of a pickup truck. It's still in beta so it doesn't work reliably yet is what people will tell you. I'm hoping they'll release a version that uses the cameras instead of the ultrasonics and actually works reliably.

Reactions: TomReagan
Like you said, it is intended to park between two cars. I tried one time to park between a car and a curb just to see if it would do it. It was doing fine and then suddenly the wheel turned toward the curb and I had to immediately hit the brake.

Lesson learned. The manual lists a lot of limitations and warnings for a reason.

Last edited:
I used once to parallel park and it worked beautifully. The next time I tried to back up in front of a parked car and it scraped the curb so I aborted and parked myself. Two weeks ago I used it to back up to a supercharger slot between 2 cars. I aborted before it hit one of the cars. The angle of its approach was uncomfortably sharp and looked like it was going straight towards one of the cars. I don’t trust autopark anymore.

It seems the ultrasonics lose visibility below a certain distance. Seems about 30" to 20" they go 'blind' to curbs and stop warning about them. My last car would see small curbs until you almost hit them.

Probably have ta wait until the neural net is trained to recognize all type of curbs with the cameras before it will be safe to turn it loose near them.

Beware when using Auto Park (AP) between an auto and a curb. Today I used the feature to park between a car and a curb and apparently it didn’t properly measure the distance between my car and the curb, because my right/passenger side scraped the curb (just a bit on my rear/passenger tire before I hit the breaks).

So, lesson learned - I’ll only use it when parking between two cars.

More Details: I've used the AP feature a handful of times now and when it works (lined up perfectly next to a vehicle to engage AP), it has worked almost flawlessly (sans the one time when it detected the wrong empty parking spot, which was three spots down from the one closest to me). One time I even used it to parallel park and it parked perfectly! And that was against a fence/railing.

I have v9.0, 2019.16.2 (just updated yesterday)
Never tried the AP. However, if your wheel got scraped, I found a nice touch-up paint on Amazon that lets you paint over the scrapes and does a really nice job of hiding the booboo. Called DecoArt Wrought iron back patio paint, 2 ounces is all you need