Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Park / Firmware 8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't locate a button for me to start auto park in the latest Firmware 8. The Tesla consultant demoed it to me before we decided to buy the car (don't know the exact version). Does version 8 have it or not?

It only shows up when you pass a parking spot and the sensors/computer recognize that it can park there.

1. Drive past the potential parking spot at <10mph
  2. If the sensors recognize the spot, a [P] will show up in the dash
  3. Stop
  4. Shift into reverse
  5. "Autopark Ready" will appear on the center screen with the parking spot
  6. Press "Start"
  7. Wait and watch
That said… if you have an AP2-equipped car, then Autopark hasn't yet been enabled.

I almost never see that (P) become avaialble although oddly I get it when I pull into my driveway. Since I've had the car I've only had it work once at a mall and it seemed to do well although I was holding my breath at a few points as it was adjusting in.

Is there some trick to get it to pick up parking more often? Drive really slow? Stop in front of the available spot?

I've been to shopiping malls, city streets, parallel spots, etc. Never shows up. Sometimes I'll see it random come up in a place that is definatley not a parking spot but never in the mall situation.

It only shows up when you pass a parking spot and the sensors/computer recognize that it can park there.

1. Drive past the potential parking spot at <10mph
  2. If the sensors recognize the spot, a [P] will show up in the dash
  3. Stop
  4. Shift into reverse
  5. "Autopark Ready" will appear on the center screen with the parking spot
  6. Press "Start"
  7. Wait and watch
That said… if you have an AP2-equipped car, then Autopark hasn't yet been enabled.

Or when you are in parallel traffic at a junction, in the dark - the only time I ever see it (offering to reverse into the vehicle behind me on the passengers in the next lane)!

And even then it is only about once per month (exactly the same junction, and only that junction) - my theory is:

8. And only on when it is a full moon.

Is there some trick to get it to pick up parking more often? Drive really slow? Stop in front of the available spot?
When setting up for auto parallel park, try driving very slow, AND drive a bit farther past the empty space than you might normally if parking manually.

e.g. I would normally line up about even with the car in front of the empty space before stopping and reversing, if parking myself - but to get auto park to sense the open space and present the "P" in the dash, you need to go a bit further ahead, say about 1/3~1/2 car length past the open spot. I find that reliably detects the parallel parking spot.

Also, according to the person orienting me to the car at my delivery, auto park (at least for AP1) function is activated only after 100 miles of autopilot driving. That means, a brand new car with AP1 needs 100 miles of AP driving to calibrate before the auto park can be used. So if the OP just got the brand new car, (s)he may need a bit longer before auto park is available.

The other suggestions above in terms of triggering auto park are all good.