Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Park - Is driver supervision required?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pc001

Jun 19, 2017
Canada
Does Tesla's Auto Park feature require driver supervision in any way, or can the driver simply activate it, exit the vehicle and walk away? Interested in how it compares to Mercedes Remote Parking Pilot (which requires supervision via smartphone gesture)

Yes, currently, both Summon and Autopark require manual supervision. Autopark (e.g. parallel/perpendicular parking) currently requires you to be in the driver's seat supervising. Summon allows you to be outside the car supervising it moving in a straight line. Depending on jurisdiction, you may be required to continuously hold a button on your phone / keyfob to keep the car moving, or you may be allowed to just press once and stay nearby.

At any rate, there have been numerous reports of collisions and curb contact with Summon/AutoPark so you definitely should supervise the car while it's performing either maneuver.

Reactions: croman
Yes, currently, both Summon and Autopark require manual supervision. Autopark (e.g. parallel/perpendicular parking) currently requires you to be in the driver's seat supervising. Summon allows you to be outside the car supervising it moving in a straight line. Depending on jurisdiction, you may be required to continuously hold a button on your phone / keyfob to keep the car moving, or you may be allowed to just press once and stay nearby.

At any rate, there have been numerous reports of collisions and curb contact with Summon/AutoPark so you definitely should supervise the car while it's performing either maneuver.

Thanks, appreciate the response.

I'm assuming the vehicle provides status to the driver via center stack or cluster during an Autopark event, but is the driver provided with any sort of status during a Summon event?

I'm assuming the vehicle provides status to the driver via center stack or cluster during an Autopark event, but is the driver provided with any sort of status during a Summon event?

Yes, during AutoPark the center screen will show you a continuous diagram of where the car believes it is, in relationship to the parking spot. The instrument cluster shows you a parking sensor diagram much like when you're backing in yourself. The only thing suppressed is the "beeping" noise from the parking sensors. You can hit the brakes or touch the steering wheel at any time to pause the maneuver. You can either resume or abort from there.

During a Summon, the hazard lights will flash and you do hear the parking sensor sounds (they permeate from the cabin). But Summon moves in a straight line forward and backwards, so it's insanely obvious whether or not it's doing anything. You'll also get push notifications from the phone app (if you configured them) for summon started, summon stopped, and summon aborted.

Yes, during AutoPark the center screen will show you a continuous diagram of where the car believes it is, in relationship to the parking spot. The instrument cluster shows you a parking sensor diagram much like when you're backing in yourself. The only thing suppressed is the "beeping" noise from the parking sensors. You can hit the brakes or touch the steering wheel at any time to pause the maneuver. You can either resume or abort from there.

During a Summon, the hazard lights will flash and you do hear the parking sensor sounds (they permeate from the cabin). But Summon moves in a straight line forward and backwards, so it's insanely obvious whether or not it's doing anything. You'll also get push notifications from the phone app (if you configured them) for summon started, summon stopped, and summon aborted.

Thanks again

During summon my car will steer itself in order to center itself in the garage opening. It is not purely straight forward / straight back. It won't turn corners, but it does steer.

During summon my car will steer itself in order to center itself in the garage opening. It is not purely straight forward / straight back. It won't turn corners, but it does steer.

That’s a good thing to mention. It does attempt to turn the steering wheel when it gets too close to a side obstacle. Sometimes that’s good, sometimes it’s not so welcome.

Reactions: croman
I have one autopilot 1 car with suspension, it seems to be more accurate (no damage in 15-20 uses)

My S has coil suspension - 3 incidents of curb contact in 30-35 uses.

Anecdotal for sure - I just kept thinking the latest update would have fixed the glitch and try it again every once in a while.

Another anecdotal here, on the AP1 + SAS car, tried auto parallel parking when it was first available, stopped it as it was about to hit the curb. Tried the same experiment few months later (was hoping software got better), same thing, would have scraped the curb. Tried again about a month ago, stopped it as it was about to hit the car in front with the right fender - it was a tight spot but I was manually able to get in just fine. Lastly, it takes a few tries usually to even get the car to recognize there is a parking spot in order to engage auto-park. I'm not holding up any hope for it ever being useful - don't even have Summon enabled as I see it as a useless feature that can only damage your car.

Parallel parking has always worked well for me. In fact Auto Park is excellent at identifying spots where the S will just fit. I have always thought that the perpendicular parking, though, is more like an old man (apologies to any who identify as old men). Back, stop, forward, stop, back, stop, forward, stop, back ... Eventually it gets it, but a bit embarrassing in a parking lot. However, I do think that the car learns and slowly gets better.

As for Summon, it seems to me to be more of an impressive gimmick. Unless the spot is too tight to open the driver's door and get out, then it is a lot of work with the phone, etc.

But I am always ready to hit the brake or grab the steering wheel - as per instructions.

Sorry to go off on a tangent but anyone know why Tesla doesn't enable self-parking via the phone (i.e., as a summon feature)? The pieces are all there, so why not let the driver select the parking spot for self-parking and exit the vehicle before initiating the maneuver? The driver would still be responsible for monitoring the parking. It would avoid having to sit in the car while it parks then pull straight forward, get out, and summon straight back when parking in a tight space.

Is there a legal reason or something? I don't think Mercedes Remote Parking Pilot is available in the US either (or wasn't the last time I checked).