TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Auto park malfunction. Don't feel I can trust it anymore

Discussion in 'Model S' started by dwellyn, Sep 25, 2016.

?

If you had an auto park malfunction on your tesla S like I did would you still use it again?

1. Yes. I believe in Tesla and it was a one off incident

18 vote(s)
    47.4%
  2. No way

20 vote(s)
    52.6%
  1. dwellyn

dwellyn Member

Earlier I used the auto park function in Hong Kong to parallel park my car. I had used the function maybe 4-5 times before and had no trouble.

Here is happened.

1. I drove past the parking spot 1 (i wanted to park in) slowly it did not register as available on the system
    2. I thought maybe the radar just didn’t detect it
    3. ! continued driving forward as i saw another spot up ahead (spot 2 - see diagram below)

car1-car2-spot1-car3-spot2-car4-car5
    ——>

4. when i got to the position of car4. the parking indicator came up and I shifted to reverse and initiated auto park.

5. the car then proceeded to reverse at 15km/h, much faster than I expected in a parking lot (passing spot2) and so I immediately stepped on the brakes.

6. After the car stopped I realized maybe the car probably wants to park in spot1 and so i released the brakes for it to continue.

7. the tesla then continued reverse (at a fast 15km/h) and scraping car3 until i rammed the brakes again to stop it. See picture attached to see damaged. (I paid the owner of car3 US$800 to settle)

I contacted Tesla in the next day and told them about the incident. They requested to check up on the car. However after 3 days of getting the car they called and said understand it was a malfunction but there was nothing they could do and if i wanted to get the damage on my car fixed it would be around US$7000 (multiple panels damaged).

I am a huge fan of Tesla and overall very pleased with my S. However the way Tesla has handled this incident has really disappointed me. I have not used the auto park function anymore as I have lost faith in the function and can’t afford another malfunction. There was nothing I could have done to prevent the accident as the car was moving way too fast in a such close quarters for me to react. I am glad the tesla hit a car and not a person. Although auto-park is a new technology my expectation was that it may not always work (unable to complete the parking) but I should not have to worry about it malfunctioning and hitting an object. Just like I would expect the brakes to stop the car everytime and not only sometimes.

Although I still love driving my Tesla I am weary of using any of their "auto" functions (after this accident[​IMG] I wouldn't dare use the auto-pilot, which is a shame). I hope everyone else has a better experience than me. Please let me know if anyone else has had anything similar happen.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. dwellyn

dwellyn Member

Picture of damage of car3

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  3. hmmm

hmmm Member

That sucks. There was another thread were the car didn't quite turn sharply enough when backing into the spot and hit the car in front.

I suspect you're right, ie the car got confused between the 2 spots, but what's almost even more puzzling to me is that the car would be in reverse @ 15mph. To be honest, I haven't yet tried it with my car, but can other confirm that this is the "expected" speed? That sounds scary to me.

• Like x 1
  4. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

I thought I saw Elon say that regulations limited autopark speeds to less than 8 MPH. But maybe that is only in the US.

• Informative x 1
  5. mhan00

mhan00 Member

He said km/hour, not miles per hour

6. mhan00

mhan00 Member

NEVER trust autopark from any manufacturer. I've been in coworkers' cars with autopark that were BMWs, Audis, Lexus, and now my own Volt. They all have had hiccups while I've been in the car with them, which is why most (all?) manufacturers advise you to monitor the car very closely while it is parking.

• Like x 1
  7. AndY1

AndY1 Member

This:

8. hmmm

hmmm Member

Good catch. Not as bad, but almost 10mi/hr is still too fast IMHO.

9. Hota

Hota Member

No kidding. At this point autopark should drive as fast as summon does.

• Like x 1
  10. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

I love my S and am a huge Tesla supporter (10 referrals in the current program) but while I've used auto park a few times it's always been just to show it off. I've never used it "for real" as I've always been able to park much quicker than auto park can.

Granted, it could probably get my car in much tighter spots than I could but I never park where it's tight (I'm the one who always parks away from other cars at the far end of the Walmart car park).

Not that I dislike all things "auto". I love autopilot and use it all the time.

11. Lon12

Lon12 Member

Can you post more pictures? Would be nice to see the location. What time of day?

12. sorka

sorka Active Member

I only use auto park in tight spaces that I don't think I could manage myself. If it's not a tight space, there's no reason for me to not park myself.

13. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

Did Tesla confirm that your car was moving faster than it should when attempting the parking maneuver? It is ironic that you
    experienced "too fast" auto parking, considering that many people find it unusable if there's any traffic around because normally
    it is so slow. No question, 15kph is considerably faster than normal. Given Tesla's (lack of?) response, if I were you I think I'd have
    to relegate auto-park (at least the parallel form of it) to "party trick" status, only to be done under very controlled circumstances -- if
    at all. Shame.

14. sorka

sorka Active Member

Given this is the second such report in just a few weeks on this forum, it appears Tesla has some serious work to fix this. Unfortunately the likely result is that they'll change it to require a far larger margin of error and it will no longer be useful for tight situations but rather reduced to parking in easy situations that I wouldn't need to use it for in the first place.

15. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

You mean they'll increase the margins for error just to avoid needing to fix the obvious bug (with the speed) here? Or are you saying
    you think they'll conclude that such bugs can't be avoided with sufficient certainty so they have to always be able to "tolerate" them?

16. mhan00

mhan00 Member

The owner took 800 bucks US for that level of damage? Man, damage repair must be way cheaper in Hong Kong than in the States. Any pictures of the damage to your car?

17. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

#17 S4WRXTTCS, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    There wasn't the option of "I'll never trust it with the current array of sensors".

The reason I personally don't trust it is the system uses the ultrasonic sensors. Guess what one of the main complaints of the Tesla is? That the side monitoring doesn't work. Guess what the side monitoring relies on? The ultrasonic sensors.

Ultrasonic sensors are great for industrial sensing when things are always exactly the same. But, that's not how things are with cars.

I use summons to park into my garage and I've done it at least 100 times. Out of those 100 times its failed twice. I don't trust it so I'm always there to stop it though, and summons is pretty slow. The only reason my car didn't sustain damage in two cases was I was there to catch it, and it never went fast.

i've used auto park a couple times, but I've seen the auto park thing come on in all kinds of situations where there was no spot at all.

Auto park should just be pulled. At best it's gimmicky, and at worst it's a liability. Yes, I know it's always supposed to under human supervision. But, it's so hard to engage, and for a human to intervene fast it has to be too slow to be really useful. Where it's only useful in really tight spots. People less technically minded then me will see it work a few times, and they'll trust it. The OP still trusted it despite it going way too fast initially.

Feel free to mark my post down if you would be willing to trust auto-park between two ferraris while being blindfolded. Where you have to pay for the damages. But, if it works you'll get $500.

• Like x 2
  18. No2DinosaurFuel

With the backup camera and some of the sensor warning, and mirrors, I can parallel park pretty well. Never have trusted any parallel parking feature and never will. Don't be lazy and park it yourself and save on the liability.

19. mhan00

mhan00 Member

Surround view cameras, Tesla. Only makes sense for cars as big as the X and S.

• Like x 1
  20. dwellyn

dwellyn Member

I didn't take too many pictures. I was quite distraught and just wanted to settle as fast as possible. It was around 3pm on a sunny day but there were trees around