Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto park question?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welcome to the family and the boards!

Autopark (no space) isn't well loved around here. While I am sure there are some users, I generally have not seen a lot love on these boards for this feature. I personally have never even tried it, so I am not one to judge one way or the other.

You can do a search for "autopark" or "Auto park" and you will find several threads on the topic. Make sure to not limit your search to the Model 3 Forum - the information is the same regardless of model.

Also, the manual discusses Autopark on page 102.

I recently added EAP and I have been surprised how much I use the (dumb) Summon feature to park in my garage. It is a tight fit with both cars in there and it was never fun trying to get out of my car without dinging either car, especially if I had something in my hands (which I do most times). I really enjoy have the car back itself in and pull out so I can easily get in and out of the vehicle.

So what does 'autopark' do? Just move in a straight line front and back, using the parking sensors to avoid hitting the front/rear of the car? And can you tell the car how far from the wall you want it? Just curious. And finally, is autopark an autopilot feature, or do you also need the FSD capability? Thx.

Did you read the description in the manual linked I post #3? The Autopark feature will back into a parking spot that is senses using the ultrasonic sensors. It supports both parallel and perpendicular parking spots. It parks in the “middle” of the two cars that it senses with the ultrasonic sensors. It does not use the cameras to sense the parking stall markings.

it is a convenience feature, so it’s part of the EAP (Enhanced AutoPilot) or FSD (Full Self Driving) packages. It is not part of the basic AP (AutoPilot) features that are on the latest vehicles.

Still trying to get Summon to put the car in the garage. It backs out without a problem. It will also go in IF the Infiniti is not in the garage. If the Infiniti is in the garage the car gets just past the entry and gives up. Settings are set to tight clearance and 16" space in front. I have seen videos of tighter spaces that the car will park in; am I missing something or just Beta?

Still trying to get Summon to put the car in the garage. It backs out without a problem. It will also go in IF the Infiniti is not in the garage. If the Infiniti is in the garage the car gets just past the entry and gives up. Settings are set to tight clearance and 16" space in front. I have seen videos of tighter spaces that the car will park in; am I missing something or just Beta?
Are you using "dumb" summon?: Not the actual name - just what it is referred to when you hold the "Forward" or "Reverse" button to move the car. You need to hold that button for the car to continue to move (it stops when you release).

I successfully use this daily to back my car into our garage (and out) when my wife's monster (Toyota Sequoia) is in it. It goes in pretty tight on the passenger side. I just make sure the car is properly lined up for a straight shot in when I back to where I get out of the vehicle.

Yes, using Summon by holding down the direction button. (dumb) Forgot the pictures of the garage situation. IMG-0801.jpg IMG-0803.jpg IMG-0804.jpg IMG-0805.jpg IMG-0806.jpg

Reactions: designrs
Just to add one thing that hasn’t been mentioned yet once you line up to your garage and put the car in park you can double press the park button again to have the car summon into the spot you just choose the direction

this requires the continuous press option in the summon settings to be off

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Okay, this is weird.

The last two mornings, I have been unable to pull my car our with (dumb) summon. I push and hold the button and nothing happens. I tried force-quitting out of the app and restarting, but same thing. In both cases, I had PARKED the night before with (dumb) summon.

I think I jinxed myself.

Okay, this is weird.

The last two mornings, I have been unable to pull my car our with (dumb) summon. I push and hold the button and nothing happens. I tried force-quitting out of the app and restarting, but same thing. In both cases, I had PARKED the night before with (dumb) summon.

I think I jinxed myself.

This does happen to me sometimes. Maybe this is not your situation, but it might help:

Try disabling WiFi on your phone for a minute.

I have WiFi in the room above the garage, but sometimes my garage door openers (WiFi enabled) don't always respond to status queries. So it occurred to me that my phone being on the same WiFi (Orbi satellite), might be having trouble. When I disabled it on my iPhone, the car had no problems with Summon. Using some trial and error, I was able to determine if I stood in a certain place, Summon worked great on WiFi. If I moved a few feet over, it would not work consistently. Cellular works 100% of the time, despite me having 1-2 bars of signal in my garage (all 4 on WiFi).

Reactions: Kevy Baby
Try disabling WiFi on your phone for a minute.

I actually do this every morning as a matter of practice. We live in a condo with a separate garage. It is just far enough away that I am unable to get WiFi out there (I too am running an Orbi), but my phone usually stayed connected out to the outside of the garage. So as I am walking out each morning, I turn off the WiFi on my phone so that I can connect to the car (via cellular).

But thanks for suggesting!

• Informative
Reactions: Massive Attack