Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-park rim rash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only used auto park 3 or 4 times but this last time it ran both my brand new Tsportline 20" rims into the curb and cut them up. Will be the last time I use auto park.

Has anyone else experienced this? Might have been to do with the quality of the curb and the sensor not picking up a clear edge perhaps? I've attached a pick of the curb after I straightened the vehicle up and moved it off the edge.

Attachments

• IMG_9365.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_9365.JPG.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 117
Only one hairy auto-park incident amongst many, many perfect auto-parks here. Between the wife and I, we've caused far more rim rash than auto-park ever will.

FWIW I don't think the sensors see the curb, just what it perceives to be a space between two stationary objects consistent with a parking spot. We get plenty of mysterious 'P's appearing where they shouldn't.

The usual culprit is kerbs with a large lean on them, especially inwards. The ultrasonics don't resolve the position of the kerb as accurately as if it was 'square' it seems and can then end up running too close. I always monitor the mirror like a hawk and am ready to hit the brake if it looks like it might be getting it wrong! :)

The usual culprit is kerbs with a large lean on them, especially inwards. The ultrasonics don't resolve the position of the kerb as accurately as if it was 'square' it seems and can then end up running too close. I always monitor the mirror like a hawk and am ready to hit the brake if it looks like it might be getting it wrong! :)

+1 to this. I've never scratched my rims - either with or without Autopark - but I do monitor Autopark closely and probably hit the break to abort it 50% of the time. I think I'm overly conservative on this but...perfect rims.

Yeah I think I was just way too casual with it this time.

I doubt it has anything to do with the size of the rims @ShockOnT as I've selected 21" in the settings and they too would definitely have gotten scratched in this same scenario.
I think it measures how far it's traveled by counting rotations, so it's possible the unusual circumference threw it off.
It's supposed to calibrate itself for a few days when new, during which time auto park is unavailable. Perhaps it had already done its calibration then the rims were changed?
Might be worth checking with the service centre about re-calibrating.
Or I might be talking total rubbish... just a theory.

Sorry about your wheels. I only use auto park rarely. The P on the dashboard does not appear that often on my car even in apparently good parallel parking spots. I usually spend a few minutes looking for a spot away from everyone else to protect again door dings and bumper touches!