TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Auto parking change?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MarcusMaximus, Aug 12, 2018.

1. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Active Member

I just went to the grocery store and, on a whim, used the auto-perpendicular-parking again(haven’t used it in months because it was near useless). To my suprise(and delight), my car parked much faster than before and did so in 1 shot, without any 3-point turn(I thought this was a requirement when doing auto park?). Has anyone else noticed this change? If it does this consistently, then auto park is actually useful finally!

2. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

What firmware version do you have?

3. Venomboy

Venomboy Member

Mine almost never comes on. But when it does it's pretty accurate. Sometimes I reverse into a space and it turns on and does a good job.

Is there any way to turn it on manually?

4. MarcusMaximus

5. MarcusMaximus

Not manually as far as I know, but you need to hug pretty close to the side with the open spot, and go no faster than 5mph as you pass it.

6. Vitaman

Vitaman Member

It is so finicky that by the time you meet all the criteria to activate it, you could have parked your car twice.
    A useful feature rendered useless by tech details?

• Funny x 1
  7. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

It is more of a party trick than an actual useful feature in my opinion. I have yet to find a place that it can park remotely close to the same speed as me doing it manually. There are some dicy right spots which it may have been useful but I don’t trust it enough for it to tamale those attempt.

It would be good to be able to enable auto park from the outside. That way it would be so much easier to watch it than from inside.

8. alwaysru

alwaysru Supporting Member

I try it sometimes - it works when between 2 cars pretty well, but when it's a car and a curb (perpendicular), it seems to want to scratch my rims by trying to hit the curb every time.

• Like x 1