Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto phone key not working

Dhjm

Sep 17, 2021
Utah
I have tested my phone (Pixel 5) with and without Tesla app in the background. I even reboot my phone with no apps in background to be sure. I can confirm that it makes NO difference, at least for my phone. It worked fine either way as the car key.
Had the same problem with my pixel 5a. The Tesla service guy spent 2 hours and final figured out that the default BT version on the phone (1.5) needs to be changed to 1.6. you need to be in developer mode to make the change.

LBM4

Tesla Fealty
Aug 20, 2021
California
Had the same problem with my pixel 5a. The Tesla service guy spent 2 hours and final figured out that the default BT version on the phone (1.5) needs to be changed to 1.6. you need to be in developer mode to make the change.
I have the Pixel 4 and had no issue like that. Is it because the 5a shipped with an out of date BT setting? Or is it because my M3 is still sitting on an old firmware version 2021.3.106.5?

PianoAl

Dec 15, 2019
Far Northern California
>figured out that the default BT version on the phone (1.5) needs to be changed to 1.6. you need to be in developer mode to make the change.

My Bluetooth version is 4.2, and my Googling tells me it can't be changed. Are we talking about different things?

Mike1080i

Apr 29, 2016
Atlanta GA
That sounds like the AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile) Bluetooth developer option. My Pixel 2 defaults to 1.4 and my Pixel 5 defaults to 1.5, both work properly as keys.

Last edited:

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC