Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Pilot 1.0 Mandatory Components to Operate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,
I'm a new member here; and new to online forums in general; so excuse/guide me if I'm in not in the right place.

•I have a challenge to get the Auto Pilot operates in my MS; and I’m going to do it.
•Sorry; I know it is a long message; however it is descriptive enough for you to guide me to the solution.

•I purchased a 2014 Tesla Model S P85D from Copart Equipped with AP1.

•I imported it from LA/California/USA to Amman/Jordan.
•The car’s title is: Salvage (side accident) so my local Service Center can’t accept it.
•However, I change the ownership with the Tesla US and it is registered on my account and the Mobile App.

•The Auto Pilot 1.0 is not functioning; as the Auto Pilot Radar (at the bottom of the front pumper) was missing.
•Now; I obtained the AP Radar with its bracket and I need to operate the Auto Pilot.

•When I say Auto Pilot it is including ALL Driver Assistance Features:
•Auto Pilot, Auto Park (Summon), Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Detection, Auto Steer, Auto Lane Change, Auto Emergency Breaking, all other sexy features to discover.

I want to know what are the components which AP1 requires in order to function:

•What I know is; the AP1 needs some HW and SW:
•For Hardware:
•Auto Pilot Front Radar
•The Front Camera
•The Parking Sensors (6 front and 6 rear)
•For Software:
•Tech Package with Auto Pilot Activated

•Some important info/questions I have to mention/ask:
•Any component should be added/removed to/from the above HW/SW lists?

•Should the car be connected to Internet in order for AP to function?
•My car has already Tech Package with Auto Pilot (priced: $4250).
•Is there other subscription/activation fees I have to pay to Tesla in order for AP to function?
•The software version I have is: 8.1 (17.14.23); it is supposed that it was operating AP at the time the car is manufactured; i.e. I guess it is not mandatory to have latest software in order to get API working, right?
•The navigation is not working for areas outside USA; I can see on the bottom of the map “Long Beach CA” so I presume that this Software is locked to USA.
•Is Navigation a prerequisite for Auto Pilot?
•Should I install an unlocked edition of the software instead of this “Long Beach CA”? Or Auto Pilot doesn’t depend on the location/navigation?
•I have missing 4 park sensors on the rear pumper; and a message saying: “Park Assist Disabled”.
•I’m pretty sure that I have to purchase and install those sensors in order for Summon to function; right?
•I tried to plug the AP Radar to the car (without fixing it on the pumper); reboot; a new message appeared saying: “Driver Assistance Features Unavailable; if issue persists, contact Tesla Service”
•Should I connect the car with Tesla Toolbox? If yes; what should I do on Toolbox?

I need your help to tell me how to get Auto Pilot functioning.

Is it as easy as just plugging the radar after fixing it correctly on the pumper and do the calibration using the screws on the corners of the radar bracket? And the car’s computers will perform the rest of the magic?

Or should I do more complex steps?

P.S. plz don't tell me to go to my local Service Center! They can't accept US cars (neither Clean nor Salvage)! claiming that they are manufactured for the US market only; not for Europe; not for Middle East...
36580703_10155540725722918_4114601591808458752_n.jpg IMG_20180822_185436.jpg IMG_20180822_185430.jpg IMG_20180822_185255.jpg IMG_20180822_185250.jpg

...Salvage...

Tesla doesn't support Salvage Title unless you correct all deficiencies and pay an inspection fee.

But you say Jordan doesn't support US version anyhow.

Your option is to work with Do-It-Yourself Salvage Experts such as Rich Rebuilds, Ingineerix...

...Should the car be connected to Internet in order for AP to function?...

I think once it was originally activated, it's good forever without a need for the internet after that.

... not mandatory to have latest software...

Correct!

...Is there other subscription/activation fees I have to pay to Tesla in order for AP to function?...

None. Once it is activated, it's good forever without additional subscription/activation fees.

...Is Navigation a prerequisite for Auto Pilot?...

No.

..Or Auto Pilot doesn’t depend on the location/navigation?...

Autopilot does not need navigation to work.

In future, it will need navigation to know when to exit but not now.

...I’m pretty sure that I have to purchase and install those sensors in order for Summon to function; right?...

Correct!

...Is it as easy as...

I don't know. Tesla is hardware & software dependent. Laypeople needs Tesla support but you can join Do-it-Yourself experts if you want.

Good luck!

It's not hard to calibrate the radar once it's affixed. Do your repairs and install it. Then it has two screws for X and Y axis, so use a quality carpenter's square and string to get it pointing directly forward. No need for Toolbox.

Chances are Tesla has disabled Autopilot and Supercharging so you'll need to re-enable them. To do this you must root the car, and to do this you must have a command of Linux. If you have this, there are two methods (one easy, one harder but comprehensive), neither of which Tesla will ever be able to counter with this hardware. If you use the easy method you'll want to stay with the version of firmware you have, as later versions moved Autopilot settings (and others) to purvue of the gateway. With the harder method there are no limits.

For mapping you'll need Euro maps. I have a friend who's made this change and will help you.

Last edited:
For mapping you'll need Euro maps. I have a friend who's made this change and will help you.[/QUOTE]
Thanks @rooter , May you please send me Europe maps and how to install them on my car?
Should I access the Diagnostic menus? how to obtain a pass code to these menus (i.e. thru the T logo long press)?