Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Pilot... Am I doing it wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did a 100 miles on the M5 last night...
Whilst fairly quite traffic, still had to change lanes to overtake slower moving traffic.

Theoretically if I am in the middle lane, cruise control set 75 (this is theoretical), auto pilot turned on, blue steering wheel icon illuminated.

Indicate to enter third lane, annoying bong, auto pilot turns off, cruise still at 75.

In third lane at 75, push stalk down to turn autopilot on again, more bonging, lcon blue again, car brakes to slow down to the speed limit of 70, as cruise control has reset itself. Now need to turn cruise control back up to 75.

rinse and repeat, many times.

Is it really that poor or hopefully I’m doing it wrong?

At the moment, the car always prioritises what it believes to be the speed you should be driving over the speed you actually wish, or need, to drive at. In general, this means that every time you engage TACC or Autopilot, the car will try and match the speed to the speed limit (taking account of any global speed limit offset that's been set).

It's the same issue that's being debated on the TACC thread, in essence.

• Disagree
Reactions: GRiLLA
You can make the “bongs” quieter and more tolerable by engaging Joe mode.

Quick way to get up to 75 (theoretically) is a quick flick on the right hand steering wheel nipple, which increases in 5 mile intervals.

Alternatively, you could theoretically drive at the speed limit, which then reduces the need to overtake ;)

Did a 100 miles on the M5 last night...
Whilst fairly quite traffic, still had to change lanes to overtake slower moving traffic.

Theoretically if I am in the middle lane, cruise control set 75 (this is theoretical), auto pilot turned on, blue steering wheel icon illuminated.

Indicate to enter third lane, annoying bong, auto pilot turns off, cruise still at 75.

In third lane at 75, push stalk down to turn autopilot on again, more bonging, lcon blue again, car brakes to slow down to the speed limit of 70, as cruise control has reset itself. Now need to turn cruise control back up to 75.

rinse and repeat, many times.

Is it really that poor or hopefully I’m doing it wrong?
Yes you are doing it wrong.
What you should be doing is giving Tesla another £6800 and then all the bong bongs will go away.
At least that is what I imagine Elon would say...

Reactions: Dilly

To those saying that the ops experience is is normal is the above bit new? I don't do a lot of motorway driving so don't use either TACC or Autopilot very often but my recollection was that the limit was never set lower than your actual speed so if you are cruising at 75 and engaged autopilot then autopilot would engage at 75. Am I wrong? has this changed recently?

The stripped down free Autopilot works like that.

Any of the past paid versions and the current FSD cars are better - a flick of the turn signal lever and the car will automatically change lanes while still in AP, no bonging and no speed change (though the car does like to shift back to the limit occasionally, especially in the exit/entrance lane.)

With EAP and FSD, Navigate on Autopilot will change lanes entirely on its own, though I don’t entirely trust its decision making in some cases.

Moderator comment - this behaviour is not relevant to the OP or the sub forum region

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Reactions: M3noob and GRiLLA
To those saying that the ops experience is is normal is the above bit new? I don't do a lot of motorway driving so don't use either TACC or Autopilot very often but my recollection was that the limit was never set lower than your actual speed so if you are cruising at 75 and engaged autopilot then autopilot would engage at 75. Am I wrong? has this changed recently?
I don’t use autopilot often but whenever I use it the car will not go above whatever it thinks the speed limit is. So if I were to activate it at 75 on a motorway it would slow me to 70.
TACC seems to go with the higher of my current speed and whatever the car thinks the speed limit is.
I think it’s always done this although I’ve only had the car 6 months so it could’ve been an update on the car when I got it.

• Disagree

I was thinking the same. I assume with a recent software update it defaults to the speed limit as in my experience it defaults to my current speed... Although I've not driven in a few weeks so lots could have changed

my recollection was that the limit was never set lower than your actual speed so if you are cruising at 75 and engaged autopilot then autopilot would engage at 75. Am I wrong? has this changed recently?

Correct, it's explained in the manual and is the current experience..
upload_2020-10-9_14-5-12.png

Also if you typically want Autopilot to engage at 75, set the offset to +5.

upload_2020-10-9_14-7-27.png

I don’t use autopilot often but whenever I use it the car will not go above whatever it thinks the speed limit is. So if I were to activate it at 75 on a motorway it would slow me to 70.
TACC seems to go with the higher of my current speed and whatever the car thinks the speed limit is.
I think it’s always done this although I’ve only had the car 6 months so it could’ve been an update on the car when I got it.
It only does this on roads without a central reservation (or some trigger/decision which correlates closely to the road not being dual-carriageway)

On a dual-carriageway, it will happily engage autosteer above the limit and also above limit + offset.

It only does this on roads without a central reservation (or some trigger/decision which correlates closely to the road not being dual-carriageway)

On a dual-carriageway, it will happily engage autosteer above the limit and also above limit + offset.
Not in mine, I just tested this on the school run. I will always activate at the higher of the speed limit or the speed you are driving on any type of road.

OP, you need to change your speed limit offset (seems you unknowingly have it set to always be at the speed limit). Or you can set it to relative, which will set it to your current speed, unless you are not on a limited access road (interstate, major highway, etc.).

When on local roads, Autopilot will not allow you to exceed 5mph over the speed limit.

This is the behavior of the North American cars - maybe it is different across the pond.