Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Pilot and Cruise Control for Software Build 2019.5.15 has Serious Problems

Have you had similar trouble with software build 2019.5.15

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While the previous software installations on on my Model 3 have worked very well, 2 weeks ago my car updated to build 2019.5.15 and my car's performance immediately changed for the worse. I have cleaned the camera lenses and windshield glass to make sure that is not the issue. Here are the symptoms:

When in either auto pilot or cruise control mode, the car will, occasionally, aggressively decelerate for no apparent reason. It has happened several times on straight sections of divided, well-marked highway with no vehicles or notable physical objects ahead. This is very dangerous as it could easily cause a rear-end collision. It frequently happens when changing lanes to an unencumbered lane; where you would expect the car to accelerate to the preset speed. Instead the car will rapidly decelerate - eventually resuming acceleration to the preset speed after a period of time. The danger is that cars behind me would anticipate no reason why I should suddenly decelerate. Using AP or cruise control has become nerve racking.

Automatic lane changing frequently does not work (nearly half the time). Given the manual turn signal, the car will approach the dashed line and will bounce off, rapidly retreating to the original lane. Once on a virtually empty stretch of perfectly straight and level highway, I gave the M3 more than half a mile to change lanes. The AP bounced off the dashed line about 10 times before I had to take manual control as other vehicles were approaching from behind. To them, I must have appeared to be an intoxicated driver and they proceeded to pass me carefully. For whatever reason, navigate on autopilot is able to signal and take exit lanes without difficulty.

When I approach stopped vehicles ahead, the adaptive cruise control leaves an inordinate amount of space between me and the car in front of me. If I touch the accelerator to close the space, the car sometimes will lurch and jerk, unless I disengage the cruise control altogether. This is not a serious issue.

When resuming from a stop, the start of the acceleration use to be very smooth, but it now jerks to a start. This is not a serious issue, but it was much nicer before. For the comfort of my passengers, I now start the acceleration manually and then shift back into cruise control.

Here's why this is a very significant problem. Sudden deceleration is a serious safety issue that I cannot remedy with driver oversight. If cruise control were to fail to slow in time, the driver can press the brakes manually. However, if the automatic system hits the brakes, there is nothing I can do to "un-hit" them except to disengage the system, but by that time, the car has already slowed dramatically and I am already in the midst of a dangerous situation. I'm looking forward to getting safely beyond software build 2019.5.15!

Similar problems in my 2019 S. Yesterday, with my wife in the car, I left everything off as I didn't want to hear about it the whole day. The day was perfect and top speed on the highway was 91 mph in the Lexus Lane. If I do not get rear ended with the system engaged, I will be surprised. Maybe the next update will help.

These issues have existed for a long time, but yes, it seems as if they are a little more pronounced in this release.

Don't worry, the rules should change again. That's the fun of the Tesla, you get to learn a new car with every release!

Yes, I have experienced similar issue with sudden braking after changing the lane but not sure if it was after the most recent build or the previous version but it did happen in the last week or two. It has happened only once though. However, I have noticed a few other changes that are new like Auto Parking took so long to park that it stopped traffic in the parking lot.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
While the previous software installations on on my Model 3 have worked very well, 2 weeks ago my car updated to build 2019.5.15 and my car's performance immediately changed for the worse. I have cleaned the camera lenses and windshield glass to make sure that is not the issue. Here are the symptoms:

When in either auto pilot or cruise control mode, the car will, occasionally, aggressively decelerate for no apparent reason. It has happened several times on straight sections of divided, well-marked highway with no vehicles or notable physical objects ahead. This is very dangerous as it could easily cause a rear-end collision. It frequently happens when changing lanes to an unencumbered lane; where you would expect the car to accelerate to the preset speed. Instead the car will rapidly decelerate - eventually resuming acceleration to the preset speed after a period of time. The danger is that cars behind me would anticipate no reason why I should suddenly decelerate. Using AP or cruise control has become nerve racking.

Automatic lane changing frequently does not work (nearly half the time). Given the manual turn signal, the car will approach the dashed line and will bounce off, rapidly retreating to the original lane. Once on a virtually empty stretch of perfectly straight and level highway, I gave the M3 more than half a mile to change lanes. The AP bounced off the dashed line about 10 times before I had to take manual control as other vehicles were approaching from behind. To them, I must have appeared to be an intoxicated driver and they proceeded to pass me carefully. For whatever reason, navigate on autopilot is able to signal and take exit lanes without difficulty.

When I approach stopped vehicles ahead, the adaptive cruise control leaves an inordinate amount of space between me and the car in front of me. If I touch the accelerator to close the space, the car sometimes will lurch and jerk, unless I disengage the cruise control altogether. This is not a serious issue.

When resuming from a stop, the start of the acceleration use to be very smooth, but it now jerks to a start. This is not a serious issue, but it was much nicer before. For the comfort of my passengers, I now start the acceleration manually and then shift back into cruise control.

Here's why this is a very significant problem. Sudden deceleration is a serious safety issue that I cannot remedy with driver oversight. If cruise control were to fail to slow in time, the driver can press the brakes manually. However, if the automatic system hits the brakes, there is nothing I can do to "un-hit" them except to disengage the system, but by that time, the car has already slowed dramatically and I am already in the midst of a dangerous situation. I'm looking forward to getting safely beyond software build 2019.5.15!
If your foot is on the accelerator pedal you can just press down when you feel the slowing. I believe using the accelerator pedal is a good way to "un-hit" the brakes.

+1 for the same problem ... & +1 for having foot near accelerator to "correct" the issue. Still dangerous, and I think we are still a long way off from full self drive ! It would be nice if the car could anticipate stopped traffic ahead a little sooner on the freeway also ...

Overall the system is still 90% good - but 90% is still a long way from 99.99% ...

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Good idea. I've just got to take control of the situation faster. There's a temptation to see if the software will dig it's way out; I shouldn't do that in traffic.

That's the issue a lot of time. I drive a twisty back road. Tesla is at the point where I trust it to drive the whole road at 40mph. Could it handle 45? I'm just not confident yet. And there's one curve where if I know there's no oncoming traffic I let AutoPilot do it's thing, knowing it will end up in the other lane. But with every version it gets better at staying in the lane! Not perfect yet, but it's definitively improving!

Reactions: OPRCE
These issues have existed for a long time, but yes, it seems as if they are a little more pronounced in this release.

Don't worry, the rules should change again. That's the fun of the Tesla, you get to learn a new car with every release!
Good way of looking at it! I ***LOVE*** my Model 3. And I love being part of the development. I wish there was a way to share my notes with Tesla about these builds - instead of having to post stuff here and hoping that Tesla will somehow see it. But, maybe this works okay because others get to confirm or deny. It seems like this build is an early test bed for FSD.. it's very conservative and defensive as if no human oversight - so when in doubt, it crouches. I'm certain these challenges will get ironed out soon enough.

I noticed the braking yesterday. Nothing in sight. I was on cruise control not self steering.

2019.5.15 is better for me than the previous 2018 version. I did a pretty long drive on Norcal freeways yesterday. From Oakland to Santa Rosa and back in Navigate on Autopilot. I only had it out of AP a couple of times. That included the whole Richmond Bridge, many freeway changes, and some ugly construction zones on 101 where it dropped the Navigate from AP, but continued in AP, then picked up the Nav aspect by itself once out of the construction mess. Very very good.

I've had the Model 3 (Medium Range, single motor, EAP) for 3 months, I'm starting to really trust it, but this was the first time I fully let 'er rip in Nav-on-auto through bumper to bumper traffic, and all the way up to 75MPH stretches. I was so completely impressed I'm pumped to a whole 'nother level of Tesla respect. There are some new behaviors, but I haven't gotten any bizarro slowdowns in the middle of the road like the OP.

I did have some surprises with lane changes until I fully realized what the program's rules are. I don't know if this is new.
  • A If the car requests or suggests a lane change, it takes a brief tap on the blinker arm to let it do it. It will look for a safe time/spot to go. The "tap to cancel" button on the screen just adds confusion, if it won't do it without confirmation nowadays anyway.
  • B If the driver initiates a lane change, it's completely different. You have to hold the blinker the whole time until the car finds a safe opening and is in the target lane. The times I only held it at the start of the lane change, it would begin changing lanes, but then madly swerve back into the original lane. Scary.
  • C If navigation calls for taking an exit it can take the turn without any driver blinker confirmation. Technically it's not really changing lanes, but still ...
It's obviously not consistent, and I think this will cause some real "issues", especially when the driver is no longer sure WHOSE BRAIN originated the specific lane change you're making. In the pressure of a crowded 4 lane freeway in the dark, I had a couple of those nasty swerve-backs when I lost track of who was calling for a specific lane change. It must have looked crazy to drivers behind me, and once caused me to desperately kill the AP until I'd gotten onto the next freeway. The amazing acceleration helps recover in these situations, but still ...

The glitz & glamor of a fully automatic lane change aside, IMHO it would be less confusing for now if a lane change always required holding the blinker arm until being in the target lane. Simple and consistent. Tesla are you reading these?

• Informative
Reactions: woodguyatl
I did a trip from San Jose to Palm Springs (450 miles or so) - my car exhibited these alarming braking behaviors a number of times, so much so that aside from verbal bug reports I called service and asked for them to be sure to get the logs to tell if this is just glitchy software or something uniquely wrong in my car. My car has an appointment this Friday where by that time they hopefully will have analyzed the logs and have some answers. Service also mentioned something about recalibrating the cameras.. supposedly was going to do that last Friday but some communication snafus between Tesla service on the phone and the local center..

@Fernand I do hate those nasty snapback things - sometimes not even a result of lane change but an entrance lane confusing the car and it swinging crazy to the right side.. that and having to mash the accelerator to not-stop (because the car thinks something is in front of it but isn't) - scary. On one of those occasions, I was able to observe that though the car to the side was clearly well into it's own lane, the display showed the car over the line and in front of my car.. so proper behavior for improper input..

5.15 has reintroduced significant phantom braking, 30% Auto Lane Change abort rate even with no cars around, and horrific bucking coming up to a stopped car (hard braking, then hard acceleration, then hard braking). All of this is on my daily routes where I use EAP all the time. I’ve said this elsewhere, but I can’t use it with my wife in the car anymore because it scares the crap out of her.

Reactions: Msjulie
Pretty good operation this morning except for vehicle suggested lane change and drew the line/route in front of the car beside me and asked for verification. As soon as I hit the stalk the vehicle slowed with braking and then moved in behind the car beside me instead of the route it suggested in front of the car. No other traffic behind me and a little surprising. I turn everything off if my wife is in the car.

Auto lane change was really squirrelly yesterday for me. First couple worked, but the. Every single time after that it would get about half way into the new lane and then freak out and kinda of oscillate between the two lanes. Weird

Does anyone know if the Mod 3 routinely reboots the control CPU on its own, say every time you get in the car? If it doesn't, then from an engineering point of view, I'd say people who are having these issues should try forcing a complete reboot of both the control and the display systems and see if that helps. I'm sure that after the update a full reboot was done, but it's a very common bug to not fully clean up old data that would confuse operation, and a fresh restart might. Why not try that?

p.s. as to the wife, she's going to wear out the edges of the seat with her nails if she don't just accept that we're all going to die, sooner or later.

Last edited:
Good way of looking at it! I ***LOVE*** my Model 3. And I love being part of the development. I wish there was a way to share my notes with Tesla about these builds - instead of having to post stuff here and hoping that Tesla will somehow see it. But, maybe this works okay because others get to confirm or deny. It seems like this build is an early test bed for FSD.. it's very conservative and defensive as if no human oversight - so when in doubt, it crouches. I'm certain these challenges will get ironed out soon enough.
You can use the online help from to submit feedback.