Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

auto pilot and FSD for a n00b

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys i picked up my car last night and today i started using these two things and i am not sure what i am doing wrong but i have a max speed limit of 5 less then the speed limit and the car does not seem to adjust to the speed limit as it goes up? also the car almost blew a stop sign. i kept waiting for it to slow down but i did not so i took over. that was really scary haha. I have the MYP with ap and fsd. i am brand new. yes i read the manual, well at least the autopilot parts. its a lot to read but ill read more tonight haha. i just want to drive lol. I have to learn this stuff because we have a cross country trip July 14th.

Hi guys i picked up my car last night...
Make sure the cameras finished the calibration first. If not, you need to drive more. Usually under 50 miles of driving.
...not sure what i am doing wrong...
Make sure you go to Autopilot Menu and explores all the options you can
...max speed limit of 5 less then the speed limit...
On freeways, you should have Autopilot/FSD operating from 0 to 90 MPH (edited: with radar or 75 MPH per @Fourdoor mentioned about the new radarless feature).

In the city and unknown speed stretches, the car's speed is limited.

...and the car does not seem to adjust to the speed limit as it goes up?...
It does sometimes and other times not. I just have to manually check to make sure it is correct.

...also the car almost blew a stop sign. i kept waiting for it to slow down but i did not so i took over. that was really scary haha...
Make sure you go to Autopilot Menu and turn on that particular option.

...I have the MYP with ap and fsd. i am brand new. yes i read the manual, well at least the autopilot parts...
If you still have the above problems, please take a picture of your Autopilot Menu so I can see what options you did or did not enable.

Last edited:
Autopilot and FSD are currently NERFed by the switch to vision only (no radar) so if your speed limit is greater than 75 on your local highways you are out of luck. From what I have seen AP, TACC, and FSD drive in a very in-efficient manor that can scare the crap out of the driver. I have only experienced it on test drive, not on a regular basis... but it charges up to slower / stopped traffic and then goes hard on the brakes, I think it does the same thing for traffic signals in FSD cars.

Anyone with extensive experience in real life on something other than a test drive please debunk me :)

Keith

I played around with FSD on an M3 loaner for the past few days - what a horrible experience! It doesn't begin decelerating early enough and ends up braking way too hard. I had already experienced a bit of that with TACC in stop-and-go driving but FSD was worse on city streets. Lane changes are delayed longer than necessary because the car doesn't slow down to fit into an available spot, and the the lane change maneuver is way too agressive. Lots of fine-tuning required on this system before it drives like a human!