Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto pilot and Motorcycles

Does your AP2 make space for motorcyclists?

• Yes

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • No, I fear for their safety

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Ap2 is phenomenal, especially for us new adopters. However, as a motorcycle rider, I see how dangerous it is on the freeway in California, especially when bikes share lanes. I notice my tesla steers towards the moving object on the road (motorcyclist) rather than trying to make some room for them. Has this been addressed with AP1 cars? I know AP1 cars show different images, such as trucks.

AP1 in my X tends to ignore them, I think... commonly, the speed differential is 20+ mph when riders lane-split during my commutes. They'll pass by, and I'll see them in the display as they continue past me in traffic. So the X does know what they are, but it's not clear to me if it knows this at the critical moments prior to or during their transit past the car.

One thing that AP1 does is to shadow the lane position of the car in front. Usually this is beneficial if I'm in the fast (#1) lane, where most commuters shade left in the lane in expectation of lane-splitting bikes. But some of those drivers are oblivious, or worse, aligned further toward the #2 lane. So typically, if I decide to use AP during my commute, I'll just put the car in the #2 lane and forget about it.

Rich

I also ride motorcycles. Experience in my X is that it does not move over for bikes to sneak by when lane splitting.

I notice that some, but not all cages will move over a bit to give the lane splitters a little more room. Some do this to be nice, and others to avoid getting their cars scratched up by handle bars.

Imagine that it will take some time for the auto pilot to sort out these types on encounters, but until then I take full responsibliy to avoid vehicle contact when lane splitting.

On a somewhat related note: Does AP1 see bicyclists?

I've found in that my AP 2.5 Model X does not seem to see bicyclists on 2-lane roads. I have to take the car out of AP so I can hug the center line in order to give them a 3' cushion. Maybe if I waited a bit longer, it might see them, but I've been to chicken to wait long enough for it to notice them.

This is just yet another depressing datapoint in how far from FSD we are.

Me too, I ride motorcycles, and although I am driving the Model x and see the auto pilot get close or not recognize the motorcycles, I can’t have that on my conscious (possible collision with a bike), allowing autopilot to hit a motorcycle.

Especially when in the carpool lane in California. Some riders hate Tesla’s because of too many close calls, but I don’t think the motorcycles are entirely to blame. Our autopilot should recognize and move over when the sensors feel a fast moving object.

Just a FYI, I don’t lane split, too scared of people on their phones not paying attention

I also ride motorcycles. Experience in my X is that it does not move over for bikes to sneak by when lane splitting.

I notice that some, but not all cages will move over a bit to give the lane splitters a little more room. Some do this to be nice, and others to avoid getting their cars scratched up by handle bars.

Imagine that it will take some time for the auto pilot to sort out these types on encounters, but until then I take full responsibliy to avoid vehicle contact when lane splitting.

Reactions: busaman
Ok, I am two wheel biased...but my experience splitting lanes for the last 30+ years is simple. I am looking forward to autonomous vehicles. The amount of people not paying attention to their driving is staggering - I record my commute to provide proof of the insanity.

In most cases the model X and S take the center part of the lane. I do not see AP1 or AP2 cars move to one side. They are consistent and predictable.

I will add - thank you to the dozen P cars and couple non P cars that disengage the autopilot and move to the side when they see me coming. I split slow and tend to give a thank you wave. It makes my commute a little safer.

I just got yet another middle finger salute from a motorcyclist on my way home today because my car didn't yield with autopilot (AP1) on.
It's getting to the point that I don't even care anymore. I can understand lane splitting in a stop-and-go traffic but everyone was already doing 50mph+ in the carpool lane during commute hours and they still wanted to sneak past us? Good luck.

Reactions: mattack4000
https://jalopnik.com/motorcyclist-sues-gm-over-crash-with-self-driving-chevy-1822358606

The San Francisco Police Department determined Nilsson [motorcyclist] to be at fault for the collision because he was attempting to pass on the right. The police report also claimed that the Bolt aborted its lane change, and that the GM employee behind the wheel of the vehicle attempted to steer away from the motorcyclist but was too late to avoid contact.

Pouring rain today, we were driving 8 mph. This biker just kept hitting the horn the whole time to force people to move for him. I had a good laugh when I saw him getting squeezed by a box truck and a commuter bus. If the government cares so much about the biker, just let them run on the breakdown lane and get it over with. I move not because I give a crap about them, I just don’t want them to hit my car like they did to me last year

I just got yet another middle finger salute from a motorcyclist on my way home today because my car didn't yield with autopilot (AP1) on.
It's getting to the point that I don't even care anymore. I can understand lane splitting in a stop-and-go traffic but everyone was already doing 50mph+ in the carpool lane during commute hours and they still wanted to sneak past us? Good luck.

I filter but rarely visually communicate with people on my way home so I am sure it was not me. But...I don't get mad for cars not moving to the side. I get mad at the people who "driving" is not their top priority. The amount of people I see texting, eating, shaving, makeup and talking on the phone is insane. I commute on Hwy 101 - it is relatively straight - somehow there is an accident every day. Three on my way home last night. I eagerly await autonomous vehicles - I might even commute in a cage...I mean car.

Finding pleasure in someone getting squeezed - I am glad I have better things to laugh about.

https://jalopnik.com/motorcyclist-sues-gm-over-crash-with-self-driving-chevy-1822358606

The San Francisco Police Department determined Nilsson [motorcyclist] to be at fault for the collision because he was attempting to pass on the right. The police report also claimed that the Bolt aborted its lane change, and that the GM employee behind the wheel of the vehicle attempted to steer away from the motorcyclist but was too late to avoid contact.

This doesn't make much (legal) sense to me. Nothing in the vehicle code states that passing on the right in CA/SF changes right-of-way rules.

(Not saying you shouldn't pass on the right)

Drivers don’t have issue with responsible riders either, we just don’t want to deal with the I own the road a-holes. The ones destroying people’s eardrums, popping wheelies, doing stunts. Autopilot comes with short range ultra sonic sensors, it can’t react if the guy is splitting lane 20mph faster than the cars.

I don’t wish people harm, but if one choose to be an organ donor. I am not going to cry foul.

I filter but rarely visually communicate with people on my way home so I am sure it was not me. But...I don't get mad for cars not moving to the side. I get mad at the people who "driving" is not their top priority. The amount of people I see texting, eating, shaving, makeup and talking on the phone is insane. I commute on Hwy 101 - it is relatively straight - somehow there is an accident every day. Three on my way home last night. I eagerly await autonomous vehicles - I might even commute in a cage...I mean car.

Finding pleasure in someone getting squeezed - I am glad I have better things to laugh about.

Th