Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Pilot Comes Close to Freeway Divider

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP should be staying dead center of the lane. What's concerning me is that your car is drifting in the lane and driving close to the left side of the lane, bringing you close to the k-rail.
Yes, That is why i am concerned. The thing is, it only happens on certain roads where barrier is close to the yellow line. Most of the times it stayed in the middle.

What someone said in one of the comments about the car mostly following the lines makes a lot of sense. If the barrier is close to the line, then it would make sense that the car would seem to be closer to the barrier. Strange thing though is that the yellow perimeter line that tells you the car is getting close to something turns red, but the car doesn't correct itself immediately, kind of has a delay. This is what is most concerning to me, if i don't take over i will definitely hit the barrier.

Strange thing though is that the yellow perimeter line that tells you the car is getting close to something turns red, but the car doesn't correct itself immediately
In my tests I could drive for miles with the ultrasonic sensor semi-circles on the display almost continuously red.

I guess it is a programming mistake after all, but it does not necessarily lead to an accident, as long as the barrier is straight or only very gently curved. And as long as all other risk factors are absent, of course.

I think the autopilot should consider the barrier just like a lane-limiting line and keep the usual distance from it, rather than the close distance we observe. I'm sure Tesla will fix that one day.

In my tests I could drive for miles with the ultrasonic sensor semi-circles on the display almost continuously red.

I guess it is a programming mistake after all, but it does not necessarily lead to an accident, as long as the barrier is straight or only very gently curved. And as long as all other risk factors are absent, of course.

I think the autopilot should consider the barrier just like a lane-limiting line and keep the usual distance from it, rather than the close distance we observe. I'm sure Tesla will fix that one day.
I was under the impression that the camera's would sense the barrier being close and move away from it. I guess it's only the painted lines that it's basing the Autopilot on. It would be nice if the camera's were involved to make such corrections as well.

We've seen similar issues with object detection on FSD Beta. New versions just coming out are adding detection of objects as undrivable areas, and visualizing them as grey blobs. Once that feature moves over to AP, your k-rail experience may change.

For now, it's important to get your car centered in the lane during standard AP. Hopefully that's where service may help.