Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

auto pilot could be dangerous sometimes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if the driver was alert and monitoring the car he'd have noticed the system wasn't functioning properly and he should have immediately assumed manual control. I've had many experiences of the car doing weird things while the AP was in control, you need to be ready for anything.

Not being disputing but glad you posted it for the millionth time.

Form experience, when driving to work and using AP1 autosteer/TACC (both are on) and sun then interrupts camera:
- if it is also locked on a car in front of me, it will keep following that car with radar, although it doesn't track lanes well at times and gets too close to lines/other cars IMHO.
- if it loses camera and no car in front of me, it has you take over. rare as usually sun is already out and can't activate autosteer anyway.

But, autosteer will veer into things without using the side sensors it seems well or radar, WITHOUT a warning. I notice this usually on a very clearly marked main highway here in Chicago, where it is a wall, yellow line to left, and then white dashed to right. It only notices the right line, tracks car in front, but wants to let it self go over yellow line into wall at times. Sensors on side turn red and it gets very close, too close where I'm sure it would hit it if didn't cancel at times. This is without sun interfering even. I never use AP1 close to a divider wall now, typically only in a middle lane i'm comfy with it.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
From the manual:

"Limitations
Autosteer is particularly unlikely to operate as intended in the following situations:
• Autosteer is unable to accurately determine lane markings due to poor visibility (heavy rain, snow, fog, etc.), or an obstructed, covered, or damaged camera or sensor.
• When driving on hills.
• When approaching a toll booth.
• The road has sharp curves or is excessively rough.
• Bright light (such as direct sunlight) is interfering with the camera's view."

When the autopilot dash shows a grey path and no blue lines or blue car ahead, it's in a mode called "dead reckoning." Someday that mode will probably work well, but right now it's very unpredictable. Other times the dash can show a blue line when no lane stripe exists due to the software reading the boundary between two types of pavement as a striped line. Here again, leaving autopilot on in this situation could be asking for trouble. AP1 largely ignores stationary objects that aren't directly ahead in the vehicle's path of travel.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4