Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Pilot Disabled for the Rest of the JOURNEY!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously? I was shocked by this. I can understand it disabling until you re-enable it, but what kind of punishment is turning it off for the rest of the journey? No other car I've been in does this. Why such a harsh punishment?

Seriously? I was shocked by this. I can understand it disabling until you re-enable it, but what kind of punishment is turning it off for the rest of the journey? No other car I've been in does this. Why such a harsh punishment?
This has happened to me more times than I can count. When driving in AP, if you press the accelerator and accidentally go above 80 mph (radar-less cars are limited to 80), it will lock me out. Just pull over, put the car in park and then continue. Autopilot will return after the car has been put into park.

Reactions: cjxmtn
That happened to me yesterday, but for an entirely different reason. I was using AP on the freeway when it suddenly chimed and told me that it was disabled for the rest of the trip. I was worried that I had missed the "attention" messages, but that wasn't it. The message said that the camera in the driver side door pillar was obscured. Turns out it wasn't obscured at all, but it was pointed directly at the afternoon sun. Pretty annoying.

Yeah, that's a real pain though when you're on the freeway. It can't be for legal reasons, or other brands would be doing it too.
its usually because you either overrode the speed while on AP and went over the system limit ( currently 80mph for vision cars, 90mph for radar)
or
You missed too many warnings to hold the steering wheel.
either will disable AP until you pull over and put the car in park.

They do it because some owners insist on pretending that AP is a magical self driving system, when in reality its just driver assistance. Those owners are the ones that get into accidents while doing something silly, like jumping into the back seat or watching a movie, then sue Tesla.
So because people can't be trusted we can't have nice things :)

But the point is, no other auto makers that have this system give you this punishment. So why are Tesla being so harsh?
Maybe because they care about you. You think that is a pain. How about having a nanny call you to make sure you are ok. So are you sure no other automaker does such things like caring.
Screenshot_20211230-065149.png

But the point is, no other auto makers that have this system give you this punishment. So why are Tesla being so harsh?
What other automakers have anything approaching full self driving? You can't compare cruise control with FSD.

Either way, I use FSD/NoA 99% of the time while driving and have been locked out only once, and that was just to see if I could get locked out.

Other than pressing the accelerator to >90MPH (>80MPH Vision) what kind of "quick fix" are you making to AP to get put in AP jail?

Generally, you're right that I get locked out because I accelerated to a higher speed (e.g., to give another car room to merge in). But the speed does not need to be as fast as you are suggesting. It can be very low on some roads. Regardless, there is no reason to lock me out of autopilot for the rest of the drive because I pressed the accelerator. That proves I'm paying attention and in control.

Come on now… clearly we could make the whole steering wheel flash red! Why so small?

I've been locked out of AP multiple times when I was completely paying attention, because I was watching the road instead of the display panel and my hands weren't gripping the yoke tightly enough. Yes, I know there's a warning sound, but I sometimes miss that for whatever reason. I wish there was a more assertive warning.

Typically, when I use AP, I'm on the freeway. So the notion that I can just stop the car and restart doesn't easily apply.

Reactions: SR-75
Because the following groups/people have been trying to kill Tesla for a long time ..
- Other auto makers you mentioned
- Big Oil
- Various hedge funds
- Much of Wall St
- SEC
- NHTSA
- NTSB
- Thousands of auto dealers
- Dozens of state governments that are funded by above mentioned auto dealers
- Auto Unions
- Federal Government
- POTUS